MS Word "Save As PDF..." splits into 3 PDF's?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is very strange.

Running 10.2.3 and Microsoft Word X for Mac (Service Release 1), I'm trying to save a longish (about 40 pages) MS Word document as a PDF file. No matter what I try, I end up with the entire document split into three PDF files. I need the whole document in one PDF file.

In MS Word I do, "Print...", "Save As PDF..." and "Save". After some processing, I get three PDF files named "manual.pdf", "manual 2.pdf" and "manual 3.pdf".

Also, the locations of the splits makes no sense whatsoever. The first PDF file is 6 pages and 176KB, the second is 1 page and 40KB and the third is 32 pages and 412KB. There are 14 Sections in the MS Word document, so it's not splitting it on the sections. Just looking at the resulting PDF's, I cannot dicern any pattern for where it splits the PDF files. The splits are on page boundaries at least.

Anybody heard of this before or know a work-around or have any suggestions... or anything?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    have you tried

"print" then down to "output options" then check the "save as file" and "pdf" for the format? then hit the print key.

sometimes this will work where the other method fails.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>have you tried

"print" then down to "output options" then check the "save as file" and "pdf" for the format? then hit the print key.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for your help. Yes, I had tried that, but that gets me exactly the same results.

edit...

It sounds as if you've heard of this problem. If this a known issue?

[ 01-20-2003: Message edited by: spotcatbug ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If you have Acrobat you can merge these three documents in to one document. If you don't have Acrobat email the three files to rfahlsing at hotmail dot com and I'll merge them for you.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, the only other thing you can do is merge them via. adobe acrobat (not acrobat reader).

aside from that, i have run into this before, and still haven't figured out what the problem is. i own acrobat, so i also haven't tried very hard to fix it.

i'm sure if you dicked around with it long enough you'd find a solution, but it's probably not worth it to you.

one other thing you might want to try is to create a brand new document, cut everything from the original, and paste it into the new document, the convert that. that will sometimes fix oddball problems like you described above.