airport network question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have been successfully using my desktop 1.25DP as a software airport base station. i can surf the net and download files wirelessly on my TI powerbook over the airport network. however, i can't retrieve or send any email messages. neither can i access my hotmail account. it just won't log in. neither will the mail app. (i use apple's. it's always worked fine)

since i can access the net, it's not the connection. i wonder if there is something i haven't configured correctly. do i have to enable some kind of sharing on the host computer? or maybe turn off encryption? ( i have 128 bit encryption engaged on the wireless network) does anyone have any ideas?

M

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    Any chance you have the software firewall up? That might have an impact in the blocking out of certain things. I ran into a problem awhile back when I couldn't access yahoo mail, because the router had a certain ports blocked..
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Have you entered your domain name in the network settings? Depending how your desktop is getting it's network information, the Ti may not have the required info. are your getting an error message when you try retrieving you mail on the Ti? If on the Ti, you are entering only "mail" or "smtp" or somesuch thing for the pop3 server, and if the Ti doesn't have the fully qualified domain entered, it might be your problem. Either put in the fully qualified address for the mail server( ie mail.blah.blah.com), or enter the full domain (ie blah.blah.com) in network preferences.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    well. thanks for the software firewall tip. when i disengaged the firewall on my DP (the host computer) i was able to access and send email with the mailer app. i still however cannot access hotmail.

any ideas?

also, if i turn off the firewall, am i not exposing myself to the outside?

M
  • Reply 4 of 4
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    If you are using Safari you might have to turn off the pop-up blocker to log into hotmail.