DVD to PS3, good quality, sub 800MB file size?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Most movies which you can grab online are under 800 MB, if you know what I mean?

How can I get a DVD onto my PS3 under 800 MB, while keeping the quality as good as movies you can grab online? I used Handbrake, but it outputs files over 2 GB if you follow the PS3 optimized instructions online.

I once grabbed a movie online under 600 MB, and it looked to be in HD. How do people do that? What mad skills do they have? And what apps are they using?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    ireland wrote:
    I used Handbrake, but it outputs files over 2 GB if you follow the PS3 optimized instructions online.

Handbrake has an option to limit the filesize but the constant quality slider gives the best quality. Just drag the slider down until you get the right balance (20 should be ok). You have to pick a fairly low resolution too but 720 x 404 is a decent enough size and you'll get away with an average bitrate of 1200kbps.

For a 90 minute movie, 1200kbps would be 810MB. That's pushing it to the limit of acceptable quality.

Some movies will come out way less than others because of the content of the movie. An action movie has a lot of fast moving scenes and if there are explosions and jungle scenes, the encoder won't find a lot of redundant information. A romantic comedy might have a lot of those over the shoulder scenes so a lot of the background content is static and low detail so they don't need as high a bitrate.

That's why the constant quality option is good as it adjusts the bitrate depending on the scenes in the movie (variable bitrate basically). However, it is less predictable in terms of output size. If you absoutely want to make sure that movies hit a certain size, just use average bitrate values or the filesize limiter.

The other thing is the H.264 profiles. There are settings that allow you to squeeze the bitrates down but will incease your encoding time a lot. The number of keyframes affects file size too. I like these high as it makes it smoother to scrub through movies but it can add some extra size. Handbrake's default keyframes should be ok.

Try 720 x 404, constant quality 20, if it comes out too large, try average bitrate 1200kbps. Obviously if you have a 2-3 hour movie that will affect the sizes too.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member

Interesting.

Questions, checked of unchecked for these?

• Reply 3 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I've always wondered about this, as well. Older versions of HandBrake allowed the user to manually set a "desired file size", but the newest one has removed that. As I understand, it's due to that being the least desirable aspect of video encoding, and rather having a set bitrate produces better results.

Though it's annoying as all get out when all I want is to have a certain file size; then I have to guess the size based on the bitrate I input and the size of the media.

I seem to remember reading a tutorial or two for getting the best quality video out of DVD rips with HandBrake. I'll see if I can find them.

EDIT: Ah, here might be a good start, with the third post looking like what you're after (except the size). Kick the bitrate down to, oh, 1500 and you should have some reasonable sizes.

The PS3 tops out at 4GB per file, though, doesn't it? Or have they changed that to 800MB? 

• Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    ireland wrote:
    Questions, checked of unchecked for these?

They won't affect anything on their own but some DVDs will have interlaced video, which should be deinterlaced so you need picture filters enabled to allow it to do that. Web optimized just writes the start of the file differently so that it works better for web playback.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The PS3 tops out at 4GB per file, though, doesn't it? Or have they changed that to 800MB? 

Will read your full comment later. No, they didn't change that to 800 MB. Never knew about a 4 GB limit.