Several restarts after installing software

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi gang. Happy New Year! :cool:

Upon restart after installing Jaguar(last Sept.), the desktop icons and the menubar were blinking on and off and the machine was not responsive. I had to do at least two more restarts before Jaguar was purring like a kitten.

Since then, each time I restart after software installation(I thought we wouldn't need to do this with OS X!), the aforementioned blinking occurs and a second restart is necessary(via the triangle button).

My machine works fine otherwise. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have both Norton Privacy Control and Pers. Firewall on my Login-Items list. Could this be the culprit?

Thanks,

Steve :confused:

PM G4 400 AGP 512 10.2.3

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Try turning off any start-up items.

[quote]From Apple KB article:<strong>

Mac OS X 10.2 and later include the Safe Boot feature. If you have not yet upgraded to 10.2 or later, then skip to Section II. A Safe Boot may allow you to restart successfully using a reduced version of system software. During this restart, an automatic disk check and repair may resolve your issue. If it does, then you will not need to take any further action. Follow these steps to see if a Safe Boot will resolve your issue:

1. Restart the computer (using the Power button or Reset/Interrupt button if necessary).

2. Immediately after the system startup sound, press and hold the Shift key until "Safe Boot" appears.

Note: There may be a considerable delay, particularly on larger startup volumes, since the disk check and repair take place before "Safe Boot" appears.

3. After the system is fully started up, restart again normally.

If the restart is successful, you do not need to do any more troubleshooting, unless the issue recurs.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: costique ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by costique:

<strong>Try turning off any start-up items.

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: costique ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've been removing those Norton programs from the Log-in items list the last few installations, Costique, and I don't think the blinking has occured, but that means I have to re-add them again after each installation, and I might forget, but even if I remember I'd rather not have to do that if I can help it. I'm on cable so I need at least the firewall.

I'll see what Symantec says.

Thanks,

Steve
  • Reply 3 of 8
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    I just use the firewall that comes with OS X and a linksys router that has a built in firewall. I really don't see the need for a third party software firewall. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    The Norton suite is notoriously bad on OS X. It causes more problems than it fixes most often. I would forget about using them completely. I don't know what the Privacy app does, but there are many hardware and software firewalls available.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by Big Mac:

<strong>The Norton suite is notoriously bad on OS X. It causes more problems than it fixes most often. I would forget about using them completely. I don't know what the Privacy app does, but there are many hardware and software firewalls available.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I tried Norton Utilities and it drove me crazy. Symantec does seem to have problems with UNIX. I always liked NUM for Mac OS 7-9 and it really saved me several times. But their OS X version is just ugly.

Macmaniac, why won't you use the Jaguar firewall in System Preferences? In pre-Jaguar there is Brickwall. In fact they are GUI for FreeBSD's ipfw, one of the most reliable software firewalls. It's free, robust and, I dare say, simple.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    OK, guys and/or gals, I'll switch to 10.2's firewall for a while. Do you know if it's as effective as Symantec's?

Steve
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    Me again, folks.

I went to the firewall panel, but a message told me other firewall software was running. I turned off both the Norton Firewall and Privacy Control, but I'm still getting this message. Also, this start-up problem still occurs if the Norton software are not on the Log-In list.

Am I going to have to trash or uninstall the Norton software(which I've had no trouble with, with the possible exception of this) or what?

Please help.

Thanks, Steve
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I don't have any Norton products....but like those above, I have heard NOTHING but bad things about them on OS X.

I got Brickhouse and I use that to control the OS X firewall (its just a more advanced GUI...not a seperate firewall). I just have it set to block all incoming traffic (since I am not running any servers). It seems to work like a charm.

You can get Brickhouse on Versiontracker. Download it and take a look. It's been nothing but great for me.