New iPad . . . . Backup?

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Have a iPad with theLightning power cord. Is it possible to do a backup to an external drive using the Lightning cord?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredf5 View Post

Have a iPad with theLightning power cord. Is it possible to do a backup to an external drive using the Lightning cord?

Nope. The OS isn't written to work with external storage in such a way. Probably won't ever be. You'll have to backup via iTunes to a computer or use iCloud. Or look into jailbreaking and see if someone in that realm has sorted out such a use

• Reply 2 of 4
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The inclusion of a fast data transfer method really goes to waste on a iPad doesn't it. Not only can I back up my entire drive on my Google Nexus 10 by connecting a external drive directly to the tablet but the recovery bios has a feature to backup the system, software, and all data to a single rom file. I can create rom files and save them by date for future recovery.

Not saying you should by a Nexus just stating that iOS really is one of the most closed systems on the market today. I would pay twice as much for an iPad if it had OSX on it. Windows 8 on a x86 tablet is also very easy to backup and I personally prefer it over iOS.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Too bad . . . Apple's control of certain procedures detracts from a good system.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by retiredf5 View Post

Apple's control of certain procedures detracts from a good system.

Not in this case, it doesn't.