Gap between Macbook Pros and Airs and the IPad?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Hi,

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask about what seems to be a gap in offerings from Apple. A number of friends and I wondered if there is a product coming with tablet setup but with more capability than the IPad - Perhaps a Macbook Air with a touchscreen and detachable keyboard (like the Microsoft Surface. I have an IPhone and Macbook pro and have avoided the IPad because of the redundancies.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

Considering how the Microsoft Surface and all other tablets of the sort you describe have been a terrible failure in the market, it would seem that Apple will not go there but rather will continue to produce what customers want.

It's already possible to use a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad.  Some 3rd parties make iPad cases with built-in bluetooth keyboards, though only about 1% of the iPads I see are used with keyboards.

• Reply 2 of 7

Thanks for the update. Ideally what I was hoping for is an IPad with more robust software capability - but perhaps that what the Air is for.

• Reply 3 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladerunner View Post

... an IPad with more robust software capability ....

What does that mean exactly?  There is an app you want that is not available?

• Reply 4 of 7

Full Office functionality along with some specific software that I use daily (e.g. IMindmap).

• Reply 5 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Full Office functionality…

iWork.

along with some specific software that I use daily (e.g. IMindmap).

Er…

• Reply 6 of 7

If you need to run Mac apps on a device roughly the size of an iPad, the 11" MacBook Air is the solution.

• Reply 7 of 7
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Full Office functionality along with some specific software that I use daily (e.g. IMindmap).

Office isn't terribly cpu intensive. It's just a matter of if they release it for iOS. I think Office along with a few other things that are still unfortunately necessary like printer drivers and more synergetic storage solutions would help the iPad considerably with sustained growth. I would assume Apple has discussed this internally and with Microsoft.