How to stop FaceTime "spam" calls?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

I've been getting a flurry of FaceTime connection attempts coming to my iPad (11 in one hour from same telephone number; more yesterday - from same source, telephone number "Caller ID") and one of my iPhones. Tried a chat with Apple support to no avail.

While I can probably place a special "silent" ringtone against the "Caller ID", disable FaceTime until I plan to use it or set "Do Not Disturb", I was hoping Apple would be able to help a little bit - they claim they cannot. Seems they would have a log of all FaceTime connect attempts originating from a registered "Caller ID" (telephone number in this case, could be an email address) and destined to one of my "You can be reached by FaceTime at" list of telephone numbers and email addresses.

As I understand it, this is strictly an Apple service and I am unaware that the carrier (AT&T in this case) sees anything but data (knows nothing about the content), i.e. no involvement in the service (unless over cellular network and only available if enabled for your data plan).

I did call the source telephone (voice call), and they denied any involvement - I think this may be possible, i.e. fake "Caller ID". Claimed they don't have any IOS device or a Mac.

I've heard there may now be an Android interoperable app (ova video call), but not sure - and I am unaware of FaceTime available for Windows - only Mac OSX.

Any insight, ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Via a cellular iPad, does FaceTime go over a "phone number" that you're given for the device or simply your iCloud/Apple ID?

• Reply 2 of 5

I have a Wi-Fi only iPad2, 2X iPhone 5's, iPhone 3GS (no cell service, iPhone5 upgrade from - so Wi-Fi only)

each device has a different "outbound" Caller-ID set and a different list of "You can be reached by FaceTime at" email addresses and/or tel#'s. My caller ID does't have to be either a tel# or Apple/iCloud ID - in some cases, is, some not.

My problem is I cannot tell which "target" (email address or email address) the FaceTime call is directed to, but  the FaceTime request to connect is definitely coming from a tel#. I do not respond to the connect attempts. I did place a voice call to the tel#, but claimed "not me".

Your Caller ID, which you configure on the iPad is what the receiver of the FaceTime call sees. I can definitely set my Wi-Fi only iPad to a Caller ID of one of my iPhone 5' - FaceTime via iCloud shows the list of all possible send/receive Caller ID's I have set on each device (Mac & IOS) - I configure each to select which of the Caller ID folks see when I place a call.

• Reply 3 of 5

Originally Posted by itoona View Post

My problem is I cannot tell which "target" (email address or email address) the FaceTime call is directed to, but  the FaceTime request to connect is definitely coming from a tel#.

If you know the number of the caller, you can send in a complaint about it, but you'll first have to apply your devices' numbers to the National Do Not Call list.

If they haven't changed anything, you can see your device's number/identification by going to your Contacts app, scrolling to the top (so that the animation stops), and then scrolling up even further from there. It shows you your phone number. Try it on your iPhone so you know what you're looking for, that way if it doesn't happen or doesn't show up on your iPad, you'll know why.

• Reply 4 of 5

DO NOT call is only for "phone calls", don't think it works for FaceTime - which just happens to "assert" its coming from a tel#. I have all my phone #;'s registered with DO NOT CALL and I have issued tons of complaints (mainly about telemarketers). The FCC is not very good about doing anything. Have never gotten a follow-up from any of my complaints. They have no idea how to handle ROBO calls (auto-dialers with voice messages).

Reason I cannot see which tel# or email address is being contacted is that I respond to "more than 1"... I see nothing in the FaceTime call log that tells me which Caller ID received the call, but I do see the sender's Caller ID - reverse look-up seems to be an unlisted landline. The WhitePages IOS app which I use generally tells you if its a cellphone - have to pay $1.99 to see if they can provide caller details (any cell# or an unlisted landline).

I'm just looking for some ways to block or stop that I have tried yet. was hoping Apple would be willing to help... apparently not

• Reply 5 of 5

Originally Posted by itoona View Post

DO NOT call is only for "phone calls", don't think it works for FaceTime - which just happens to "assert" its coming from a tel#. I have all my phone #;'s registered with DO NOT CALL and I have issued tons of complaints (mainly about telemarketers). The FCC is not very good about doing anything. Have never gotten a follow-up from any of my complaints. They have no idea how to handle ROBO calls (auto-dialers with voice messages).

I've reported spam texts using it (because to text, you have to send from a #), and they've taken care of them. I don't see why video would be any different. 

I'll agree with you that they're slow to do anything meaningful, however. 

And realistically, the only option Apple could offer is a "disallow all calls from numbers outside my Contacts" toggle, but there are two problems with that.

1) The telecoms would NEVER allow it to work.

2) It's way too restrictive.