Rumor: Apple's next-gen iPhone will launch with 'at least two screen sizes'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Faced with growing popularity of big-screen phones, Apple will launch its next-generation iPhone with "at least" two different screen sizes, one analyst claims.

The details were reported on Tuesday by Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets, who said the details stem from a meeting with a company in Apple's supply chain. In fact, White said it's possible that Apple's so-called "iPhone 5S" could even launch with three separate screen sizes, in his view.

iPhone Plus
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.

"We believe Apple is coming around to the fact that one size per iPhone release does not work for everyone and offering consumers an option has the potential to expand the company's market share," he said.

White expects that Apple will launch its next iPhone models in July, where he also believes the company will debut a lower-priced iPhone model that would address a large segment of the market that Apple currently does not serve.

The analyst doesn't believe that Apple would be able to offer an iPhone below $300 without a contract subsidy. He said on Tuesday that market watchers expecting an iPhone priced at $200 or even $150 will be disappointed, while a price between $300 and $350 "makes more sense."

"We believe this price point is reassuring for investors that Apple wants to expand its market reach with consumers in developing countries such as China," he said. "However, the company will also manage its margin profile and brand accordingly."

White is the same analyst who made waves last week when he claimed that Apple plans to launch a television set this year with a so-called "iRing" accessory for precise gesture-based controls. He also believes the "iTV" will come with a "mini" screen that will allow users to view content on a smaller display throughout the home, though this accessory will apparently not be as powerful as an independent iPad.

The analyst also made claims last week that Microsoft is working on a competitor to Google Glass that the Windows maker will allegedly launch in the first half of 2014. He believes the wearable computing market will heat up with the debut of a smart wristwatch accessory from Apple as well.

The latest claims from White regarding multiple iPhone screen sizes are not new, as earlier reports had suggested Apple plans to release a larger iPhone with a 5-inch screen, dubbed an "iPhone plus."

As larger iPhones like Samsung's Galaxy Note series have gained traction in the marketplace, there has been increasing speculation that Apple could go even bigger with a future iPhone model. The company increased the screen size of its flagship handset from 3.5 inches to 4 inches with the launch of the iPhone 5 last September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Brian W. of Topeka is nuts.

• Reply 2 of 112
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 3 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I can't believe people take these guys seriously. iRing??
  • Reply 4 of 112
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    iPhone Plus? Hmm. Plus size makes me think of fat woman's clothing (sorry ladies). Didn't Apple, once before, designed the iPod that made it look fat? Don't think that way of design worked out too well as Apple went back to its slender ways.

I would think iPhone for the new 5 inch (if rumors are true) and iPhone Mini for the 4 inch... AND DROP THE 4, 4S, 5, 5S, stuff!
  • Reply 5 of 112
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    I know a certain class of person goes ape-s**t whenever someone says what I'm about to say, but here goes:

Offering two screen sizes for the iPhone with the same resolution but different pixel density (just like with the iPad and iPad mini) makes a tremendous amount of sense. There are a lot of customers (particularly older customers) who prefer larger text and bigger UI elements.

And related to this -- there are also a lot of customers who simply cannot perceive any benefit to having a retina display. Offering lower priced versions of products that lack a retina display also makes a great deal of sense.

Just to pre-empt the usual complaints:

1. I'm talking about screen sizes varying because of different pixel density, not because of differences in logical screen size. So this would not be a major hassle for developers. And as noted above -- Apple already does this with the iPad and iPad mini.

2. Apple is not religious about retina displays or anything else other than making great products (and for many, many customers, a product lacking a retina display is still a great product)

3. Economies of scale is not a major constraint here. Apple produces more smartphones than anybody except maybe Samsung, but with far, far fewer models. If Apple were to offer four basic models of iPhones at a time: big retina, big non-retina, small retina, small non-retina, it would still enjoy massive economies of scale advantages over all competitors (including Samsung, which has far more models). [note, this assumes the current practice of keeping old models around would end, and that the less expensive models would be the non-retina models]
  • Reply 6 of 112
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

There are two sizes right now.

• Reply 7 of 112
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

The average screen size of phones sold today would be a bell curve ranging from less than three inches to five point five inches.

Such a bell curve would be massively skewed toward top selling iPhones and cheaper smaller screened phones.

In other words another grasping at straws report with very little basis in fact apart from anecdotal, wishful thinking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I know a certain class of person goes ape-s**t whenever someone says what I'm about to say, but here goes:

Offering two screen sizes for the iPhone with the same resolution but different pixel density (just like with the iPad and iPad mini) makes a tremendous amount of sense. There are a lot of customers (particularly older customers) who prefer larger text and bigger UI elements.

Three point five and four inch, the two current iPhone screen sizes, available now at a store near you.

• Reply 8 of 112

It would be nice to get the latest internals with a smaller screen size (if they are indeed going larger). I haven't checked out the iPhone 5 yet so I'm not sure how I'll like the taller 4" screen, but the 3.5" works well for me now (I don't have big hands).

• Reply 9 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    , your video embed didn't show up on the site. I only knew there was code there when I clicked to reply. You see the new Total Recall movie? They had a cool idea like that in that movie.

applezilla wrote: »
    There are two sizes right now.

He means two sizes for newly released products in the iPhone family. The 3.5" iPhone models, even though still be manufactured and sold, are still older models.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Why don't you put the part "one analyst claims" right on the title instead of trying to make this BS seen as fact?

And since when an analyst saying something gives any sort of credibility to something? You might as well say "a pile of sh*t claims".

• Reply 11 of 112
    kindredmackindredmac Posts: 153member

Whatever...

• Reply 12 of 112
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

It would be nice to get the latest internals with a smaller screen size (if they are indeed going larger). I haven't checked out the iPhone 5 yet so I'm not sure how I'll like the taller 4" screen, but the 3.5" works well for me now (I don't have big hands).

Just after 1 month of using iPhone 5, I no longer noticed the increase in screen height.

In the last 4 months, I have switched back and forth for development purposes. Frankly, after the first minute or so, I notice the thickness difference more than the height difference, if the phones are not side by side.

• Reply 13 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Why don't you put the part "one analyst claims" right on the title instead of trying to make this BS seen as fact?
    And since when an analyst saying something gives any sort of credibility to something? You might as well say "a pile of sh*t claims".

They start it with the word rumor. That seems sufficient to me.
  • Reply 14 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The average screen size of phones sold today would be a bell curve ranging from less than three inches to five point five inches.

Such a bell curve would be massively skewed toward top selling iPhones and cheaper smaller screened phones.

In other words another grasping at straws report with very little basis in fact apart from anecdotal, wishful thinking.

Three point five and four inch, the two current iPhone screen sizes, available now at a store near you.

Sorry. But it's not a bell curve. A bell curve implies a Gaussian distribution which requires, amongst many other things, symmetric distribution on two sides of the mean. Don't see that at all. Furthermore, in general, product sub-categories do not follow a normal distribution. Finally, a bell curve has one peak (the mean) and therefore cannot be massively skewed towards two screen sizes.

• Reply 15 of 112
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Just after 1 month of using iPhone 5, I no longer noticed the increase in screen height.

In the last 4 months, I have switched back and forth for development purposes. Frankly, after the first minute or so, I notice the thickness difference more than the height difference, if the phones are not side by side.

I agree- Thought I don't notice the increased size with the 4"-  the 3.5" seems much much smaller when I have to use an older device for whatever reason (helping a friend with something, etc.)

• Reply 16 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They start it with the word rumor. That seems sufficient to me.

Good enough indeed. Furthermore, what's the point anymore of attacking any article herein for not explictly distinguishing between fact and rumor? Sounds like crankiness looking for a vent.

• Reply 17 of 112
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Typically an S generation iPhone does not change the physical shape of the phone. If Apple follows that pattern and releases an iPhone 5S there won't be any form factor changes until iPhone 6.

• Reply 18 of 112
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Of course the iPhone will launch will a lower price model and two different sizes:
    [LIST]
    [*] The new iPhone (4" 32, 64 or 128 GB SSD) $199, $299, $399 with contract
    [*] iPhone 5 (4" 16 GB SSD) $99 with contract
    [*] iPhone 4S (3.5" 16 GB SSD) Free with contract
    [/LIST]

Do the people making these predictions believe that Apple will also make software changes to begin catering to the anti-Apple demographic?
    [LIST]
    [*] Overwriting the OS
    [*] Removable storage
    [*] Replacable batteries
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 19 of 112
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I also would think 2 sizes having the exact same pixels is the best way to go. Would elminate massive amount of headache for developers, and honestly most users who want a bigger screen just want a bigger screen, and bigger elements. Content like photos, videos, etc will also be bigger, but the view will be exactly the same. Some will mock, bitch and moan, but these arent the majority, and the pros of taking this route far exceed the cons.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I wish there was some way to get around the pixel ratio being a fixed scale factor. Web pages and desktop apps have been able to adjust to resizeable windows for years, I don't know why iOS apps can't do it.