AT&T's 4G LTE network to hit 79 new markets by summer

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T-based users of Apple's iPhone 5 and LTE-enabled iPads will soon find their data access speeds greatly increased in a number of markets, as the carrier announced on Tuesday the expansion of its 4G LTE network to 79 new areas.

LTE

The bulk of the network expansion announced on Tuesday will occur over the course of the summer, with only eight of the announced markets going 4G LTE-active immediately. Those eight markets include Walterboro, SC; Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA; Wilson, NC; and Kalamazoo, MI.

The remaining markets will see 4G LTE speeds arriving over the summer. Those markets include Youngstown, OH; Dayton, OH; Seneca Falls, NY; Columbia, MO; Morgantown, WV; Rio Grande Valley, TX; Ocean City, NJ; and Kinston, NC.

A number of these markets have already been receiving 4G data speeds, but the expansion of 4G LTE will see greater speeds, up to 10 times faster than 3G. AT&T's 4G network currently covers roughly 288 million people across the United States. In recent tests across 13 markets, PC World found AT&T to be the fastest among all providers in terms of download speeds.

A complete listing of the announced areas receiving 4G LTE connectivity between now and the summer follows:
  • Anderson, S.C.
  • Athens, Tex.
  • Atlantic City, N.J.
  • Batavia, N.Y.
  • Cape Cod, Mass.
  • Cape Girardeau, Mo.
  • Charleston to Walterboro, S.C.
  • Chattanooga, Tenn.
  • Chico, Calif.
  • Columbia, Mo.
  • Columbus, Ind.
  • Cookeville, Tenn.
  • Corinth/New Albany, Miss.
  • Corsicana, Tex.
  • Cortland, N.Y.
  • Davenport, Iowa
  • Dayton, Ohio
  • Dover, Del.
  • Duluth, Minn.
  • Farmington, N.M.
  • Flagstaff, Ariz.
  • Flint, Mich.
  • Florence/Muscle Shoals, Ala.
  • Fort Wayne, Ind.
  • Gallup, Tex.
  • Goldsboro, N.C.
  • Greenwood, Miss.
  • Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss.
  • Hancock County, Ga.
  • Huntington, W.V.
  • Huntington, W.V.
  • Huntsville, Ala.
  • Huntsville, Tex.
  • Jackson, Miss.
  • Jackson, Tenn.
  • Jefferson/Commerce, Ga.
  • Kalamazoo, Mich.
  • Kinston, N.C.
  • Lansing, Mich.
  • Laramie, Wyo.
  • Laredo, Tex.
  • Leonardtown, Md.
  • Manhattan, Kan.
  • Merced, Calif.
  • Meridian/Philadelphia, Miss.
  • Millville, N.J.
  • Monroeville/Evergreen, Ala.
  • Morgantown, W.V.
  • Muskegon, Miss.
  • Nacogdoches-Lufkin, Tex.
  • Napa, Calif.
  • New Haven, Conn.
  • Ocean City, N.J.
  • Orangeburg, S.C.
  • Paris, Tex.
  • Petersburg, Va.
  • Portsmouth, N.H.
  • Rio Grande Valley, Tex.
  • Roanoke, Va.
  • Rockingham County/Reidsville, N.C.
  • Rocky Mount, Va.
  • Saginaw, Mich.
  • Salem, Ore.
  • San Francisco, Calif.
  • Santa Rosa-Petaluma, Calif.
  • Seneca Falls, N.Y.
  • Sherman-Denison, Tex.
  • Shreveport, La.
  • Spokane, Wash.
  • Texarkana, Tex.
  • Topeka, Ks.
  • Troy/Greenville, Ala.
  • Tuscaloosa, Ala.
  • Valdosta, Ga.
  • Victoria, Tex.
  • Visalia, Calif.
  • Williamsport, Penn.
  • Wilson, N.C.
  • Wooster, Ohio
  • Youngstown, Ohio

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    aross99aross99 Posts: 94member
    I'm pretty sure thats Kalamazoo and Lansing MICHIGAN, not Mississippi...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Hopefully they expand it to the rest of Long Island. I don't get why they stopped just short of covering a huge research center and a major University.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Would it have killed you to organize the list by state?!?!!
  • Reply 4 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Would it have killed you to organize the list by state?!?!!

What I don't get is why EVERY article that has these lists CONSISTENTLY uses both standard and non-standard abbreviations arbitrarily. 

• Reply 5 of 25
    halhikerhalhiker Posts: 111member
    How about Palm Springs? C'mon!
  • Reply 6 of 25
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Rio Grande Valley eh? About time, but I am curious if they'll get all the little towns too like Donna, Alamo, or Pharr.  I wonder if it will spread from Hidalgo and cross the border a little bit.

• Reply 7 of 25
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    What I don't get is why EVERY article that has these lists CONSISTENTLY uses both standard and non-standard abbreviations arbitrarily. 

I don't understand why anyone would do this. Mildly irritating to me. I can only assume they don't know the two letter abbreviation for all fifty states.

halhiker wrote: »
    How about Palm Springs? C'mon!

Hasn't Palm Springs had AT&T's LTE service since August 2012?

AT&T expands 4G LTE service in Palm Beach County
  • Reply 8 of 25
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the nation.  They would get a big bang for the buck here--I don't get why there is so little coverage.  Ocean City and Millville?  Big Whoop...

• Reply 9 of 25

They're JUST putting LTE in San Francisco? That can't be correct

• Reply 10 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I can only assume they don't know the two letter abbreviation for all fifty states.

Heck, I'm working on an expanded US alternate history where there are enough states to require THREE letters per abbreviation and I still know them all! image

• Reply 11 of 25
    Gotta say I'm finally happy with AT&T lte in Los Angeles. About 5 days ago, I noticed Lte speeds shoot up 4 or 5 fold, in multiple areas. Not sure what they did, but I finally feel good about having an Lte phone around here on AT&T.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Rio Grande Valley eh? About time, but I am curious if they'll get all the little towns too like Donna, Alamo, or Pharr.  I wonder if it will spread from Hidalgo and cross the border a little bit.

And the cartels thank them. ;)
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Finally!!! Sherman-Denison, TX gonna get LTE!! I was so jealous of Verizon because Verizon turn LTE on in Sherman-Denison, TX in like 2011 or 2012.... I'm so excited! I count and it's incredible that Texas have 13 LTE!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    bageljoey wrote: »
    New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the nation.  They would get a big bang for the buck here--I don't get why there is so little coverage.  Ocean City and Millville?  Big Whoop...

"Northern New Jersey AT&T users got a boost recently. The telecom announced that it expanded its 4G LTE network. The 4G network is up to 10 times faster than 3G..." "... Coverage includes parts of Bergen, Passaic, Hudson, Essex, Union and Middlesex Counties from Norwood to the Raritan Bay." (1)

1. Unattributed. Published 10 September 2012. AT&T Expands 4G LTE in Northern NJ. NYConvergence. Retrieved 10 April 2013.

They're JUST putting LTE in San Francisco? That can't be correct

AT&T has been installing LTE in San Francisco for some time. Unfortunately, the high rise buildings and steep rolling hills make cellular reception challenging at best.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

About damn time. Although 10x what I currently get around town will still be pretty lousy. Call it going from dialup to DSL. In any case, let's hope they are increasing capacity, not just frequencies.

• Reply 16 of 25
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member
    When are they going to get LTE for Mayberry?

I get tired of yelling "AnnnnDEEEE" when I want get hold of the sheriff.

• Reply 17 of 25
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

I could call my ma while I'm up here...

Hey Ma! Get off the dang roof!

• Reply 18 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah, no service in Denver on the list either.  That's weird.  They have billboards around saying LTE is available.

Either way, I'm waiting to upgrade my next phone.  I tried a prepaid plan with T-Mobile, and the speeds are quick.  HSPA+ 42 on T-Mobile is likely just as fast as LTE, but it's about 1/2 the price.

• Reply 19 of 25
    Yeah, no service in Denver on the list either.  That's weird.  They have billboards around saying LTE is available.

Either way, I'm waiting to upgrade my next phone.  I tried a prepaid plan with T-Mobile, and the speeds are quick.  HSPA+ 42 on T-Mobile is likely just as fast as LTE, but it's about 1/2 the price.

The list preceding isn't comprehensive, only the latest cities announced. How can people not understand this?

AT&T 4G LTE Available in Denver as of 14 November 2012.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Bumped my area up to LTE last month, very nice. 20 mbps up and down.