importing/capturing music on cassettes

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What's the best/easiest way for getting music on cassette into my mac. It will be used in iMovie and iDVD. I currently have a Canon Zr45 I use for converting 8mm home movies to digital, can I hook up my cassette player this way. Any other solutions would be appreciated since my casette player is ancient and sounds horrible. G4 iMac, 17" OSX

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Connect your tape deck to your Mac's sound input jack. Any analog audio recorder software (such as Roxio's CD Spin Doctor [Toast]) should work just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    If the cassette player sounds horrid, go and buy/borrow a cheap Walkman-type affair and plug that into the Mac.

Regardless of the connection, a digital copy of a crappy reproduction is still going to sound crappy.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    You could use a <a href="http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/"; target="_blank">Griffin iMic</a> and connect it to your cassette player either by RCA (phono) if available on the source to 3.5 jack OR 3.5 stereo jack to jack via headphone socket on source (keep the volume level low).

Download <a href="http://www.griffintechnology.com/software/software_imic.html"; target="_blank">Final Vinyl</a> for iMic and record to your Mac.

Haven't tried it yet, but in theory it should work OK.

[ 01-29-2003: Message edited by: MiMac ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    There should be an audio in jack on your zr45 so you could hook that to your tape player. You will need a male to male headphone jack but you can get one of those for a few bucks at radio shack. Once you have it on dv tape then import it into imovie. In iMovie you can use shift+cmd+v to paste video from the clipboard over the video at the playhead, entirely replacing the that video for th duration of the pasted clip. The original ausio remains unaffected and, if not already split out, is extracted from th original and placed on the voice track of the Timeline. No audio from the pasted clip is used.

I got this tip from 'Imovie 2 Solutions' by Erica Sadun, it has all kinds of neat things in it concerning imovie and quicktime pro.