Wireless Bridging

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't know if this is possible but i just thought I would ask because the airport extreme base station is so cheap compared to the other v 2.0. Is it possible to use an old v 2.0 connected to the modem, and have the ap extreme basestation act as a wireless bridge? I dont care if it is at 11 mbps cause thats all my computer can support. which is also dumb if you ask me. pcmcia can definately support 54mbps...they even sell 400mbps firewire pcmcia cards...I wish apple would make a 54mbps card for older computers. also the ap extreme only gets that speed within 50 ft (without the antenna). Just thought I would point that out...but back to my question. Can I use the new base station with the old for some extended range for my tibook...which still has pretty bad signal...but hey i still love it!!!

thanks a lot

chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    This is more a Genius Bar question...

The older base stations don't support briding, while Airport Extreme does. You would need Airport Extreme base stations to do wireless bridging, or a third party equivelant.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I use my original Airport base station as a wireless ethernet bridge.

I would expect the same from the new ABS, but I haven't tried.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>I use my original Airport base station as a wireless ethernet bridge.

I would expect the same from the new ABS, but I haven't tried.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think he means bridging two basestations, not using a single basestation as a transparent ethernet bridge. The former can be done in a twisted fashion, but it's not seamless, smothers clients under several routed networks and altogether unpleasant.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

I think he means bridging two basestations, not using a single basestation as a transparent ethernet bridge. The former can be done in a twisted fashion, but it's not seamless, smothers clients under several routed networks and altogether unpleasant.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't that what engineers do—try to out <a href="http://www.anl.gov/OPA/rube/"; target="_blank">Rube Goldberg</a> each other?

Use ABS v2.0 as your modem/router with a closed Airport network. Connect it to the Airport Extreme base station set to ethernet bridging. Log into the Airport extreme base station. Maybe at the most, you may need a cross-over cable. If they ever sell the new base stations over here in Germany, I'll try it.