Apple's AirPlay is most popular screen-sharing tech, but still largely unused

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tablet and smartphone owners are increasingly aware of that their devices can leverage screen-mirroring functions like Apple's AirPlay, but the vast majority of device owners make no use of this capability, according to a new study from the NPD Group.

airplay

The NPD's "Inception of Screen Sharing" report looked at 2,600 U.S. smartphone and tablet owners during the first quarter of 2013, asking them about their experiences with screen-mirroring technologies. The report found a solid amount of awareness of screen-sharing. Forty percent of respondents were aware of the mirroring functionalities of their devices.

Respondents were much less likely to have actually used screen-mirroring on their devices. Only 7 percent of tablet and smartphone owners had ever used the screen-sharing feature on their devices.

Among respondents who had actually used screen-sharing tech, photo and video sharing was the most popular activity. Seventy-five percent of screen-sharing respondents had used their devices to mirror videos, while roughly 50 percent had mirrored photos. Only 7 percent of tablet and smartphone owners had ever used the screen-sharing feature on their devices, while Apple's AirPlay was the most popular option, the NPD Group found.

Apple's AirPlay technology was the most recognized among respondents, with Samsung's AllShare and Microsoft's Xbox SmartGlass taking the next two spots. Even Apple's mirroring solution, though, had only three percent of respondents having used it to share content from a mobile device to a television screen.

The report attributes the wide disparity between awareness and actual use to two factors. The first is the relative newness of the technology:

"Screen sharing solutions are somewhat new," said NPD Director of Devices John Buffone, "many only launched in 2012, so we don't expect a lot of consumers to be using the technology yet. The awareness number is a positive indicator and will help build the foundation to engage more customers with second screen experiences."

Likely equally important is the hardware requirement for screen-sharing features. AirPlay requires an Apple TV in order to work, and Samsung's AllShare requires a Samsung-specific box and mobile device. The report concludes that "bringing sharing experiences to a larger consumer base will require simplifying hardware requirements as well as amplifying the value of being able to share content across screens."

Since its introduction ? then as AirTunes ? in 2004, Apple has expanded AirPlay mirroring to include both its iOS and Mac platforms. The feature has seen support from content providers, with HBO adding it for its HBO Go app, bringing AirPlay multitasking and the ability to use an iPad as a second content screen. Google recently added an AirPlay-like feature to its YouTube app, allowing users to send content from a device to a smart TV supporting a certain protocol.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    The local governments here are using Airplay with the new code on screen feature to facilitate sharing in meeting rooms as part of their paperless office initiatives. Great use for the AppleTV.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Although screen mirroring is not an option on iPhones, only iPads.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    What geeks that spend their time on tech blogs don't seem to understand why that the vast majority of people barely skim the surface of the capabilities of their devices, and they don't posess the intellectual curiosity or the interest to do so, no matter how many benefits they would get and how easy it is to learn and do. You have no idea how many iPhone owners I know that are just stunned when I show them basic capabilities of their phone which they've owned for months or years.

It's something that trolls who proclaim that iOS is too "limited", does not have enough options, weak multitasking, not enough features, etc don't understand- that the goal is not to shove as many features as you can, its how to get as many people as you can to actually discover and use these features. Most iPhone owners I know do not even know basic shit like double-click home, the orientation lock, or the fact that you can email multiple photos. Also, iCloud features (like find my phone and backup) or typically off, ultra-useful features that could really help.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I use it daily, along with many other features for connecting to other devices, like for audio in the house and connecting to my Mac's file system and display with ease with Back To My Mac. I don't think they are well used, for the reason [B]Slurpy[/B] states, but man they are useful.

2) I also really enjoy my Mac's screen sharing options for connecting to a friend or family member to assist them in something. I really wish this was an option in iOS (like it is in BB 10) because so many more people have iDevices and sometimes just getting them to figure out the two button method for taking a screenshot is a hassle, not to mention then walking them through how to send you that screenshot. This could be facilitated securely via the iMessage/FaceTime services they already offer... but admittedly I would prefer Apple to first resolve those frequent issues before adding new cloud features.

3) AirPlay would be even better if I could simply pop a video onto the Apple TV without first having to switch the TV's input. This means a passthrough on the Apple TV (like on the Xbox 720) so I can always have the Apple TV connected. This opens up a lot of doors for that device and I think the most popular media extender appliance would be considerably more popular if they did that.

4) I'd love for Apple to make it so you don't need a router to connect to AirPlay. Ad-hoc network connections for AirPlay would make classrooms and board rooms much more accessible for having an Apple TV + iDevice setup.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Love Airplay - use MBP to ATV often. I'm still pleased as punch when it works (every time). Its kinda magical.

• Reply 6 of 79
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    AIrPlay would be used a lot more often if it was built into TVs or other set top boxes. That, of course, will never happen.

Apple is more interested in locking people into Apple's eco-system rather than making their devices as useful as possible. More power to them, it seems to make them a lot of cash. For users than can stomach that approach, it works well.

-kpluck
  • Reply 7 of 79
    MacBook Pro supports AirPlay? I did not know that.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3) AirPlay would be even better if I could simply pop a video onto the Apple TV without first having to switch the TV's input. This means a passthrough on the Apple TV (like on the Xbox 720) so I can always have the Apple TV connected. This opens up a lot of doors for that device and I think the most popular media extender appliance would be considerably more popular if they did that.

An 'App' that functions as a 'live passthrough' would be awesome. If it came with an epg of some sort it would be even better. Maybe this is a way Apple could integrate cable cos, by allowing a pass-through and letting individual companies creat apps to control their own content. 

• Reply 9 of 79
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    The most annoying problem I encounter is that lots of TV Catch Up apps do not allow you to play content from your ipad to your Apple TV. Until Apple bothers to have the App Store on the Apple TV this is likely to remain a glaring issue.
  • Reply 10 of 79

thanks for the laugh and I agree with you!! it's ridiculous how so many iphone users are so incurious about their devices. I use airplay DAILY with my AppleTV and HD tv. It's great to stream video from my mac or ipad and use my iphone (if I want) as the remote control.

• Reply 11 of 79
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

Although screen mirroring is not an option on iPhones, only iPads.

Well... iPads and Macintosh computers.

Edit: Here's a list of compatible device (anything after 2011) and other helpful info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

• Reply 12 of 79
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

MacBook Pro supports AirPlay? I did not know that.

That's new with ML...

• Reply 13 of 79

It is pretty great how well it works (and looks and sounds).

• Reply 14 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not certain, but this may be a feature built into the TV or maybe built into some HDMI (I don't know). But I believe that on my parents Panasonic; when you hit the ATV remote button and wake it up, it automatically switches to the ATVs input. (I think...)

• Reply 15 of 79
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I waiting for an iPhone with VGA support to attach my projector. Apple is losing a lot of customers without it. /s
  • Reply 16 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

That's new with ML...

and works only on the newer (mid 2011+) MBPs... requires SandyBridge QuickSync.

• Reply 17 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I waiting for an iPhone with VGA support…

The iPhone is only as thick as the depth of a VGA port. That's mind-boggling, isn't it?

• Reply 18 of 79
    Love Airplay! Use it daily for everything. No need to pay for Hulu Plus when I can stream Hulu from my Macbook Retina to the AppleTv via Airplay for free. HBOgo now streams from my ipad to the big tv via Airplay as well as family games and videos. Great feature...love it.
    Presentations are so simple, no projectors needed. No cords...
  • Reply 19 of 79

Actually Air Play is available in the 4S and later.  I have used it for light video stuff.  I like to use Air Play Mirroring on my Mac.  I can take my keyboard and trackpad to the bedroom or kitchen and use those TV as a computer.  Works very well.

• Reply 20 of 79
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    jungmark wrote: »
    I waiting for an iPhone with VGA support to attach my projector. Apple is losing a lot of customers without it. /s

I don't know if it's still available but I've got a 30-pin port to VGA adapter. Used to use it a lot to demo apps to clients.

AirPlay must rank as one of the greatest differentiators between iOS and Android. It's so incredibly simple to use and incredibly useful.