Hard Drive replacement problem, Help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I go to replace the hard drive in my Powermac, everythings going fine except, I can't get one of the screws off the hard drive holder and now of course I've stripped the screw!

Any ideas on how I can get the screw out, or if worse comes to worse, where can I get another hard drive holder that will fit my Quicksilver 2002 Powermac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, you could take some pliers to it...

I remember when I replaced the hard drive in my PowerBook G3, I had to remove a little bracket that held it in place, and then I needed a Torx T-8 screwdriver that I didn't have to loosen four screws. So I just used a pliers to remove the hard drive (yes, I was really desperate for the extra room, moving from a 2 GB to a 12 GB).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Nope, I tried that, this one screw is in so tight I could swear its glued in!

I've already done enough damage to the carrier not to mention my skin that I'm so pissed off I could throw this thing against the wall!

Is there anywhere I can get the same carrier? Or if anyone has any other ideas I'm desperate to hear them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    No ideas on getting it out, but an Apple authorized service centre should able able to order the part for you.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Is there an appliance for this type of thing, a kind of drill-screwdriver, that actually drills a hole into the guilty screw until it gets grip, after which you can remove the screw. I read about that somewhere, that this is used in cases like this. Maybe somebody else here will know.