Taiwan's tech companies banding together with Apple to take on Samsung

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The dominance of South Korea's Samsung in the technology industry's supply chain has sparked fears among Taiwan-based companies, who are making moves to counter Samsung and align with major device makers like Apple.

Samsung was even accused by a local magazine of launching an internal "Kill Taiwan" campaign, according to a report from the Associated Press on Wednesday. Samsung has denied those claims, but the rumors have helped spur Taiwanese companies to come together as a counterpunch to Samsung's market successes.

iPhone 5 Teardown
iPhone 5 parts via iFixit

Taiwan's issues can be seen through HTC, a company that was once a serious threat in the competitive smartphone market, but has recently faced major struggles against Samsung and Apple.

There's also the semiconductor industry, where Samsung has made inroads on a business that has long been a stronghold for Taiwan. To date, Samsung has been the exclusive provider of custom CPUs for the iPhone and iPad, but it's believed that Apple is planning to switch away from Samsung due to competition between the two companies.

Longstanding rumors have pegged Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. as Apple's most likely partner in a chip switch. Wednesday's latest report again reaffirmed rumors that Apple is planning to transition its chipmaking responsibilities to TSMC.

Apple is also believed to be playing a key anti-Samsung role for Taiwanese companies over display panels. Last year, device manufacturer Foxconn attempted to buy a 10 percent stake in panel maker Sharp Corp., a move that the AP noted was believed to have been spurred by Apple as the company expressed "eagerness to find an alternative supplier to Samsung."

Wednesday's report also casually mentioned that Apple is looking for alternatives to Samsung to build "future iTVs," a reference to a rumored, unannounced television set from the company. No further details on a supposed Apple television were provided.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 128
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Samsung wants to kill Taiwan, but they'd have to get in bed with China to do that, and Korea and China aren't really the best of friends… 

Does Samsung hate Apple that much? ????

• Reply 2 of 128
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Are there any people registered here on AI to defend this "Kill Taiwan" campaign? Coming from AP and not DigiTimes this looks like 'the truth'...
  • Reply 3 of 128

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Are there any people registered here on AI to defend this "Kill Taiwan" campaign?

Just watch the responses; we'll see.

• Reply 4 of 128
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    In the AP story, the most ominous bit is the accusation that Samsung is seeding web discussion sites with "counsumer complaints" about Taiwan products.

Does this seem like a familiar idea to you here at AI?

Samsung denies they are doing this, accordng to the story. Of course they're not, no ethical company would do such a thing.

P.S., I see Phil Boogie is on to this same idea.
  • Reply 5 of 128
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    flaneur wrote: »
    In the AP story, the most ominous bit is the accusation that Samsung is seeding web discussion sites with "counsumer complaints" about Taiwan products.

Does this seem like a familiar idea to you here at AI?

Samsung denies they are doing this, accordng to the story. Of course they're not, no ethical company would do such a thing.

P.S., I see Phil Boogie is on to this same idea.

Samsung already admitted guilt yesterday to anonymous posting of negative reviews of the HTC. they paid college students to post slanderous comments online. They have agreed to pay a fine and their is a criminal investigation started.

This is little different than Samsung's/Chinese media coordinated smear campaign of Apple last month.
  • Reply 6 of 128
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

New 52 week low for Apple.  Apple no longer the most valuable technology company in the world (IBM is based on enterprise value and Google will soon be more valuable also); $300 billion in value lost and counting.  Samsung near its all time high and growing earnings while Apple shrinks.

Apple better do something to take on Samsung.  Jobs wanted to enter thermonuclear war with them.....Cook is sitting around doing nothing to go on the offensive and take the narrative back.  Current perception is Apple is playing catch up to Samsung which is an amazing thing to think given Cook has tens of billions in cash and all the resources in the world and can't come out with anything that creates any excitement or stems the bleeding for the worst drop in value in world history while the broader markets aren't also imploding.

• Reply 7 of 128
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Are there any people registered here on AI to defend this "Kill Taiwan" campaign?

Well, first one is in...
  • Reply 8 of 128

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

New 52 week low for Apple.  Apple no longer the most valuable technology company in the world (IBM is based on enterprise value and Google will soon be more valuable also); $300 billion in value lost and counting.  Samsung near its all time high and growing earnings while Apple shrinks.

Apple better do something to take on Samsung.  Jobs wanted to enter thermonuclear war with them.....Cook is sitting around doing nothing to go on the offensive and take the narrative back.  Current perception is Apple is playing catch up to Samsung which is an amazing thing to think given Cook has tens of billions in cash and all the resources in the world and can't come out with anything that creates any excitement or stems the bleeding for the worst drop in value in world history while the broader markets aren't also imploding.

See, told you. image

Wait, do you actually believe this?!

• Reply 9 of 128
    @[B]jdnc 123[/B], I see you're still doing your job. I nominate you as the number one spokeman for Samsung around here.

Or, if you are for real and you really do believe what you are saying, you are simply taking the part of the most misguided fool who ever invested in Apple. All you have to do is shut up and wait until next week, next month, next quarter, and next year to see what Cook has been doing with "his" tensofbillionsofcash(!!!).

I don't believe you are for real, though, because if anyone who believed what you say you do they would be ashamed to show themselves to be so miguided.
  • Reply 10 of 128

Quote:

See, told you. image

What do you believe.  Its just mean speculators and hedge funds being mean and they aren't smart enough like you to grasp how infallible Apple is?

I love the products.  I hate how this current management team has destroyed any reason to invest in this company.  It is sad and pathetic how they are running the company from an investment perspective.  I get it, the don't care, they just want to focus on products.  Well, they can't seem to get products out any longer and sales are slowing dramatically.  

This company has lost $300 billion in value and you see no problem with it.  I do. Nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of financial markets and I challenge you to tell me one time it has.  Tim Cook will go down in history as one of the worst CEOs the world has ever seen.  mark it down.

• Reply 11 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

@jdnc 123, I see you're still doing your job. I nominate you as the number one spokeman for Samsung around here.

Or, if you are for real and you really do believe what you are saying, you are simply taking the part of the most misguided fool who ever invested in Apple. All you have to do is shut up and wait until next week, next month, next quarter, and next year to see what Cook has been doing with "his" tensofbillionsofcash(!!!).

I don't believe you are for real, though, because if anyone who believed what you say you do would be ashamed to show themselves to be so miguided.

How about instead of attacking me, you tell me why Apple is a good investment these days.  What are they going to do to grow earnings?  I don't think they can due to strategic missteps.

• Reply 12 of 128
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

See, told you. image

Where is he lying?

First paragraph: That's correct if you look only at the stock market, but "correct".

Second paragraph: Correct. People have the "PERCEPTION" (it isn't something factual, but people think that way) that the innovator is samsung, and Apple is doing nothing against it. (more cores, bigger screen, more megahertz, more gimmicks, bla bla).

Apple can do something against this, they "should" do something, not only for their sake, but more for the sake of the rest of the industry. There's no other company with a whole country in their pocket. There's no other company that is as ruthless and criminal and ready to do EVERYTHING for money as samsung. You could argue about Google and the US, but they only control the media.

• Reply 13 of 128

riginally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I get it, the don't care, they just want to focus on products.  Well, they can't seem to get products out any longer and sales are slowing dramatically.  

All this focus on investments (where Apple doesn't care) leaves you to apparently know absolutely nothing about products (where, obviously, you don't care).

This company has lost $300 billion in value and you see no problem with it.  I do.

Good for you. Sell your stock, sound the alarms, and keep your fellow investors away. But don't claim you know anything about what the company is doing or actually cares about. Save us all the foolishness.

• Reply 14 of 128
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

What do you believe.  Its just mean speculators and hedge funds being mean and they aren't smart enough like you to grasp how infallible Apple is?

I love the products.  I hate how this current management team has destroyed any reason to invest in this company.  It is sad and pathetic how they are running the company from an investment perspective.  I get it, the don't care, they just want to focus on products.  Well, they can't seem to get products out any longer and sales are slowing dramatically.  

This company has lost $300 billion in value and you see no problem with it.  I do. Nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of financial markets and I challenge you to tell me one time it has.  Tim Cook will go down in history as one of the worst CEOs the world has ever seen.  mark it down.

1-Well, you are being a moron now, a stupid moron. Back that up or go to your hole.

2-300 million of a fictional value made by irrelevant people. 300 million of nothing is nothing. Physically, Apple was never better than now.

• Reply 15 of 128
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    In the mean time, AAPL is falling like a rock! 400$ level fast approaching!!!
  • Reply 16 of 128
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    How about instead of attacking me, you tell me why Apple is a good investment these days.  What are they going to do to grow earnings?  I don't think they can due to strategic missteps.

Here we go again. Your job is to waste our time and distract. But just in case, I have one word for you. Are you listening?

IGZO.

Let's hear you say something about the future, if you're so for real.
  • Reply 17 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Where is he lying?

First paragraph: That's correct if you look only at the stock market, but "correct".

Second paragraph: Correct. People have the "PERCEPTION" (it isn't something factual, but people think that way) that the innovator is samsung, and Apple is doing nothing against it. (more cores, bigger screen, more megahertz, more gimmicks, bla bla).

Apple can do something against this, they "should" do something, not only for their sake, but more for the sake of the rest of the industry. There's no other company with a whole country in their pocket. There's no other company that is as ruthless and criminal and ready to do EVERYTHING for money as samsung. You could argue about Google and the US, but they only control the media.

Apple is now valued basically the same as what it was in late 2010.  2.5 yrs.  No value creation as an operator in a secular growth market.  Really amazing.

This isn't about earnings this quarter or next.  Its about perception and the perception is Apple is leaderless with no direction and no answers to Samsungs attacks.  Tim has neither said nor shown he has an answer, so the market expects the worst.

• Reply 18 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

1-Well, you are being a moron now, a stupid moron. Back that up or go to your hole.

2-300 million of a fictional value made by irrelevant people. 300 million of nothing is nothing. Physically, Apple was never better than now.

Back it up?  The CEO told us all last quarter.  Do you have inside information that something other than what he said is happening?

• Reply 19 of 128
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

See, told you. image

I guess as moderator you have to read everyone's drivel, but I had this guy blocked from his first (troll) post and I suggest everyone do the same.  

He's pretty obviously just some very young, aggressive, right wing dude who thinks he "knows about the market."  He seems to have nothing original to say and spouts mostly capitalist dogma and other "sayings."  

• Reply 20 of 128

Seems to me the Taiwanese companies can step up the components war by improving quality.

I don't think many can argue that Samsung doesn't make quality components and I'm sure Apple would be happy to diversify suppliers as long as the quality is there.

One question I had is where Samsung actually manufacturers their components and assembles their products? I'm sure the manufacture is spread around (I know about the plant in TX obviously since Apple has talked that up), but is the assembly done in China or elsewhere?