Apple design chief Jony Ive makes Time's 100 Most Influential list

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's Sir Jonathan Ive is the recipient of yet another accolade, having been named to Time Magazine's annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world.

Blue Steel

Ive is listed in Time's Artist category, along with writer George Saunders, musicians Miguel and Frank Ocean, and stars of the big and small screen Jennifer Lawrence and Bryan Cranston. The accompanying vignette on Ive was written by popular musician and activist Bono.

Bono's short piece praises Ive's own sense of simplicity and dedication to not only money, but a "pursuit of greatness over profit."

"What the competitors don't seem to understand," Bono writes, "is you cannot get people this smart to work this hard just for money. Jony is Obi-Wan. His team are Jedi..."

Ive has for some time been a prominent face for the Cupertino company, but Apple's design chief has become even more so in the time since Apple cofounder Steve Jobs' passing. Previously tasked with designing the hardware of devices from the iMac to the iPad and iPhone, Ive now heads software and interface design for Apple as well. His team is expected to bring the look of iOS more in line with the minimalist hardware aesthetic that typifies Apple products.

As Ive's profile has grown, so too has his renown. Already knighted by the British Crown, Ive ? along with Apple's entire design team ? received an award in September naming them the best design studio of the past 50 years by Design and Art Direction.

Earlier this year, Ive accepted another reward from Children's BBC show Blue Peter. A lifelong fan of the show, Ive was visibly affected when handed the gold Blue Peter badge, which put him in the company of British high achievers like David Beckham, Tom Daley, and JK Rowling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42

He is really influential. To gauge his influence, just think of "He, going to Google." :)

P.S.: Provided hardware engineers and all has to listen him and collaborate so much. :)

• Reply 2 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

You cannot get people this smart to work this hard just for money

That's not a bad description. And it's certainly true.

• Reply 3 of 42

Cheers, Sir Ive! Well deserved.

• Reply 4 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm sure that Ive deserves to be on that list, but some of the other people on that list are a joke, and I would not exactly call them influential.

• Reply 5 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Jony is Obi-Wan. His team are Jedi..."

Love it. And its true.

• Reply 6 of 42
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's not a bad description. And it's certainly true.

Well, I think he would not mind to join his four colleagues .... ("Apple's Bob Mansfield, Bruce Sewell, Jeff Williams and Peter Oppenheimer were all among the top corporate earners in 2012....").

• Reply 7 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    umrk_lab wrote: »

<span style="font-family:'HelveticaNeue-Light', 'Helvetica Neue Light', 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Sans Serif';font-size:15px;line-height:22px;">Well, I think he would not mind to join his four colleagues .... ("Apple's Bob Mansfield, Bruce Sewell, Jeff Williams and Peter Oppenheimer were all among the top corporate earners in 2012....").</span>
    How do we know he didn't earn what they did? SEC doesn't require companies to report salary for every executive.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm sure that Ive deserves to be on that list, but some of the other people on that list are a joke, and I would not exactly call them influential.
    What? Justin Timberlake and Beyonce aren't influential? :D
  • Reply 9 of 42

Here's a few more interesting things from that list.

David Einhorn is also on it. In case anybody has been living underneath a rock, that's the hedgefund guy who sued Apple and who tried to press Apple to release more money to the shareholders.

And the CEO of Samsung is also on the list, and his essay was written by ex-Apple CEO Scully? WTF?!

Akio Morita did it at Sony with the Walkman and Sony Trinitron. Steve Jobs did it with the iPhone and iPad. With the Samsung Galaxy, Oh-Hyun Kwon joins those business giants.

What a joke. Some of these ex-Apple people are totally clueless.

• Reply 10 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    "And the CEO of Samsung is also on the list, and his essay was written by ex-Apple CEO Scully? WTF?!"

Is that true? Hilarious. What a douchebag Scully is.
  • Reply 11 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Here's a few more interesting things from that list.

David Einhorn is also on it. In case anybody has been living underneath a rock, that's the hedgefund guy who sued Apple and who tried to press Apple to release more money to the shareholders.

And the CEO of Samsung is also on the list, and his essay was written by ex-Apple CEO Scully? WTF?!

Akio Morita did it at Sony with the Walkman and Sony Trinitron. Steve Jobs did it with the iPhone and iPad. With the Samsung Galaxy, Oh-Hyun Kwon joins those business giants.

What a joke. Some of these ex-Apple people are totally clueless.

Not sure it's any more clueless than when he was at Apple :)

• Reply 12 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's true.

http://time100.time.com/2013/04/18/time-100/slide/oh-hyun-kwon/

• Reply 13 of 42
    slurpy wrote: »
    "And the CEO of Samsung is also on the list, and his essay was written by ex-Apple CEO Scully? WTF?!"

He told Bloomberg that Samsung should hire Ron Johnson.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Confused, Sammy photocopied the issue.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    He told Bloomberg that Samsung should hire Ron Johnson.

Now that's what I'd call unforgiveable.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Did Scully actually compare Samsung's current phones in influence to that of the walkman, the iPhone, and the iPad? Products that changed and defined entire industries? Because what.. samsung has taken a free OS they did not develop, wrap it around shitty plastic, then disfigure that OS with their own shitty add-ons? While any aspect that makes the product desirable is based on shameless theft? I have no words. 

I guess fucking obtuse people like Scully don't get any smarter or more insightful with time. What does he have against Apple? He's pissed at the company for making the comeback it did after driving them into the ground? What a vengeful ****. 

My favorite part: "their brand advertising is bold, tasteful"

Yeah, defining consumers that buy your competitors products as absolute losers, in ad after ad, is the most tasteful thing I've ever seen. 

Oh, and did Einhorn actually get the cover? An attention-whore hedge fund manager who's biggest claim to fame is  trolling Apple out of greed gets the cover, over countless other people doing and creating incredible things in the world, actually changing and improving things? What a disgusting message to send. 

• Reply 17 of 42
    Thank you for all your contributions!!
  • Reply 18 of 42
    ONNOVATION

Jony Ive is the best communicator on earth today . He uses a mechanism that doesn't even look like communication . Inestimable .
  • Reply 19 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Love it. And its true.

Jony-Wany Kenoby

• Reply 20 of 42
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Apple should make Jony Co-CEO until they find a full time replacement for Tim Cook. Cook's destruction of Apple know no bound.