Microsoft Windows Phone commercial mocks Apple-Samsung wars to promote Nokia Lumia

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 platform may have stumbled out of the gates, but that hasn't stopped the software giant from poking fun at smartphone industry-leading rivals Samsung and Apple in a new commercial touting Nokia's Lumia 920.

The commercial, set at a wedding, starts off tamely enough, with attendees snapping pictures of the nuptials on their iPhones and assorted Galaxy devices. One guest berates another for blocking the action, and the fight is on, with Apple and Samsung partisans flinging the stereotypical Android vs. Apple barbs back and forth before a Kung Fu brawl breaks out.

While its aim is to highlight Nokia's flagship handset, the Lumia 920, and the Windows Phone 8 platform, the ad draws attention to the near-duopoly in the smartphone sector. Apple and Samsung are essentially the only manufacturers whose mobile segments are generating profits, capturing 103 percent of handset profits when accounting for the losses their competitors, have taken.

Nokia is one of those competitors that's been losing money. Once comfortable atop the cell phone market, Nokia has since gone on to massive losses and nosediving market share as Apple's iPhone and other smartphones have come to dominate. The Finnish manufacturer lost $3 billion over the course of 2012 as it struggled to cut costs and reverse its slide.

The company's difficulty in clawing back market share is possibly compounded by its choice of operating system. Hemorrhaging users as iOS and Android rose, Nokia bet large on Microsoft's Windows Phone platform, sticking with it through Windows Phone 7 and on to the current Windows Phone 8, even delaying the release of its new Lumia handsets until a massive, Microsoft-guided launch event that showed off a line of Windows Phone 8 devices.

Nokia has seen positive signs of late, though. Its new line of Windows Phone 8-based Lumia handsets have received generally solid reviews, and sales have picked up, with the company moving 5.6 million Lumias in the past quarter, up from 4.4 million in the previous quarter. Two-thirds of those phones were running Windows Phone 8. Nokia is also targeting emerging markets with inexpensive Lumia handsets, while the manufacturer is also said to be preparing to release a model on the United States largest wireless carrier, Verizon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90

This in an ad done right. It's great.

• Reply 2 of 90
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Hmmm. I thought their advertising had moved towards choreographed dancing business people tossing their colorful, clicking Microsoft products at each other.
  • Reply 3 of 90
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

I find the ad was entertaining. It parodies, exaggerate and dramatize what we already see every day. And the tagline was really the icing on the cake: don't fight, switch.

I won't buy a Lumia, but I like the ads.

• Reply 4 of 90
    go4d1go4d1 Posts: 34member
    Best MS Commercial yet! Still not buying though.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    oneof52oneof52 Posts: 113member
    Great ad. Phone is DOA.
  • Reply 6 of 90
    Well Steve balmer can only influence ads and not actual products
  • Reply 7 of 90
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Of course that they all still committing a big mistake about stereotyping iOS users as fanatics. While millions buy the iPhone for status, the best costumers are the ones that use it to get work done. EVERYONE that buys a galaxy S only do it because of ads. The phone is mid range at best, be it on build quality, screen or "work-ready" features and the ecosystem is very very low-end.

Is the Lumia different? It just looks like a a different toy, it won't look good to a serious smartphone user that already has an iPhone.

• Reply 8 of 90
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Two words:  Zune Guy:

• Reply 9 of 90
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Good ad, too bad the product they are selling is a piece of junk with no decent apps available.   That's why Windows phone users can say much, no one uses them.

Hahahhahaha.

• Reply 10 of 90
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Great ad. No way around it. Laughed good on that one.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMEHTA View Post

Well Steve balmer can only influence ads and not actual products

With all the wedding chairs and people flying around, I wonder where the advertising company got the idea for that ad?...   Hmmm, maybe a Microsoft Executive meeting?!

/

/

• Reply 12 of 90
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    go4d1 wrote: »
    Best MS Commercial yet! Still not buying though.

Yes, if it actually was a MS ad.

But I think you should aknowledge this to be a Nokia ad.
  • Reply 13 of 90
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member

A fantastic ad!

The satire of everything in the ad is spot on with the reality of the phenomenon in our society.

The smarter the gadgets get, the more stupid people seem to be getting.

• Reply 14 of 90
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I've only tried a Windows phone in a store for a few minutes. Maybe I'd hate it, but at least during a short demo and use, it seemed fine to me. And among the people in my office, I see more Android phones than iPhones.

The reality is that for most of the things that people do with a smartphone, especially those people who either because of cost or lack of need, haven't bought a smartphone as yet, just about any phone will suffice.

What do most people want to do most on a phone? In no particular order, phone calls, text, Facebook, Tweet, Email, take and store photos/videos, music player, Calendar, browse web, play a few games, use as an ebook reader and maybe maps. And if the person is "old", you can generally remove Facebook and Twitter. Any smartphone does those things.

OS aside, I like these Lumia phones. Their industrial design reminds me of the first IPod Mini.

I'm not giving up my iPhone, but for the market that isn't using a Mac or iPad, they don't have to go with an iPhone. Thinking that they do, regardless of the superiority of the Apple ecosystem, is being arrogant or living in denial.

IMO, the next iOS needs to be "must have," not another small evolutionary step. Apple is no longer the only company who knows how to execute decent screen design. It's Apple who is now looking "plain".

• Reply 15 of 90
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Yep. Praise where due, I liked it.

Still a piece of junk though.
  • Reply 16 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Highly entertaining ad, but I'm not sure it's a good ad in the sense that it markets their brand well. There are too many references to the everything but what they are trying to sell until the very end. I even thought to myself that the old guy with the white/silver iPhone 5 had a [I]smart[/I] looking phone.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Funny quips that consumers who don't haunt blogs and forums are likely to miss. Not much done to highlight why I should give the Nokia product a shot outside of the irrational fear of being assaulted for using an iDevice. Reminded me of that Oreo ad in the library during the Super Bowl which I thought was better done because it was all Oreo products in the argument. Also, insulting on potential customer segment smacks of those samsng ads mocking iPhone lines.

Was their target for this the waitstaffs of the world?

Edit: Rewatched - the lady (waitress) is cute!
  • Reply 18 of 90
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Hmmm. I thought their advertising had moved towards choreographed dancing business people tossing their colorful, clicking Microsoft products at each other.

Haha! I have to mute and go grab a beer during those ads so they do serve a purpose. Probably not the intended.
  • Reply 19 of 90

Hello..is that ballmer?

• Reply 20 of 90
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    This ad reminds me of a sweaty Balmer yelling developers, developers, developers.