LG Display could start mass production of Retina iPad mini panels next month, analyst says

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of a prior report regarding the production timeline of Apple's second-generation iPad mini, analyst Richard Shim from NPD DisplaySearch now claims that display suppliers like LG could start mass production of the rumored tablet's screens as soon as next month.

iPad mini

Shim told CNET late Monday that Korean firm LG Display, which already produces panels for the current iPad mini, will likely be responsible for a large portion of the Retina iPad mini's screens as Apple moves further away from component supplier and smartphone rival Samsung.

"Samsung is currently not in the iPad Mini and they won't be in the next generation. LGD is becoming a much bigger supplier than before," Shim said, adding that while other manufacturers will also supply panels, LG is thought to have the largest share.

The analyst also noted that the 7.9-inch Retina iPad will sport a 2,048-by-1,536 pixel resolution, exactly doubling the current model's specifications. Translated into pixels per inch, the expected resolution comes close to the iPhone 5's 326 PPI pixel density, and will be one of the highest seen on a tablet.

Shim said display production should start in June or July, an estimate consistent with previous rumors suggesting a third quarter iPad mini release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    They could.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wonder why analysts never discuss their view on the processors that need to drive these 3 million pixels. Could it be they do not take that requirement into account because they're analysts and don't have some IT knowledge?

Of course, it could be true that these panels are being made, but there isn't any processor on the market to create an retina iPad mini.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Wonder why nobody's yet said "eeek, ugly evil bad Koreans" :D
  • Reply 4 of 27
    macharry demacharry de Posts: 126member
    LG - Next succsessful Samsung? Haha
  • Reply 5 of 27
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    philboogie wrote: »

...Of course, it could be true that these panels are being made, but there isn't any processor on the market to create an retina iPad mini.

That just isn't true. A lower power variant of Apples A6 with PowerVR SGX 5xx series (or PowerVR 6/rogue) could handle it just fine.
    There are 1920x1080 ~5" phones on the market now, and while they aren't as fast graphics wise as those with lesser resolutions, they are adequate.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    This Richard Shim of DisplaySearch?

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/analysts_rshim.asp

"Richard has a bachelor’s degree in biology and environmental studies from Bowdoin College in Maine."

If that's not an educational mismatch, then I have never seen one.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    jp55jp55 Posts: 15member

Why do you think that?

Understanding the behavior of complex biological systems seems like a great education for analyzing markets to me.

Investment banks seek physics PhDs not because they're doing high energy experiments, but because the maths of complex volatile systems have similarities.

• Reply 8 of 27
    ikoolikool Posts: 10member

Funny how both the Kindle and Nook have had a gorgeous HD screen for so long yet the iPad Mini struggles to achieve HD greatness .

• Reply 9 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    jp55 wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

Understanding the behavior of complex biological systems seems like a great education for analyzing markets to me.

Investment banks seek physics PhDs not because they're doing high energy experiments, but because the maths of complex volatile systems have similarities.

Note that it says bachelor's degree, not PhD.

ikool wrote: »
    Funny how both the Kindle and Nook have had a gorgeous HD screen for so long yet the iPad Mini struggles.

With Apple's volumes?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    jeffdm wrote: »
    With Apple's volumes?

That's a separate issue.
    Re- read my post please.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ikool View Post

That's a separate issue.

Re- read my post please.

Your posts says absolutely nothing about either issue that makes any sense. 

Your post ignores that neither of those devices have 2048x1526 screens.

• Reply 12 of 27
    That's a separate issue.
    Re- read my post please.

Your posts says absolutely nothing about either issue that makes any sense. 

Your post ignores that neither of those devices have 2048x1526 screens.

And your post ignores the fact that the iPad Mini's screen is Not HD while the others both are.
    I and many others simply refuse to read text unless its presented in either HD or retina.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

And your post ignores the fact that the iPad Mini's screen is Not HD while the others both are.

Right, because we aren't talking about that at all, in any capacity. 

I and many others simply refuse to read text unless its presented in either HD or retina.

Maximum overlaughing.

• Reply 14 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    DaHarder is back.

". . . the iPad Mini struggles."/" . . . the iPad Mini struggles with HD greatness."

I recognize the tangled syntax. And the capitalization zaniness:

"Not HD"/"iPad Mini"

If it's not DaHarder, it's his spittin' image.

Edit: It seems Apple's trademark lower-case is being widely ignored, like it was with the iPod touch. Even Brooke Crothers at CNET has "iPad Mini" in the orginal article linked to here.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    applelunaticapplelunatic Posts: 181member

Quote:

Apparently not enough of you to make Apple care. They're still selling them as fast as they can make them. One can also make the easy bet that the iPad Mini is probably outselling those "HD" mini tablets.

What next? You going to whine about how it doesn't have an SD card slot or a "real" filesystem?

• Reply 16 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    winterspan wrote: »
    That just isn't true. A lower power variant of Apples A6 with PowerVR SGX 5xx series (or PowerVR 6/rogue) could handle it just fine.
    There are 1920x1080 ~5" phones on the market now, and while they aren't as fast graphics wise as those with lesser resolutions, they are adequate.

1) The 32nm A6 (which I assume is what you mean by lower power variant) has a decent enough GPU performance but the A5's memory controller looks inadequate since all Retina iPads are use a specially designed quad-channel 128-bit memory controller. Can they get away with a dual-chanel 64-bit memory controller for the Retina iPad mini that is pushing the same number of pixels from the Retina iPad from a year ago? I'm not so sure.

2) If you replace the 5GX GPU with Rogue you're no longer talking about an A6 chip as we define that was came with the A6 when it launched in the iPhone 5 last year.
  • Reply 17 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

LG - Next succsessful Samsung? Haha

Don't the LG panels on retina MacBook Pros still have rampant ghosting and IR problems? Samdung may have its share of issues but I'm glad the retina iPad and MacBook Pro I've bought didn't come with an LG screen...

• Reply 18 of 27
    Apparently not enough of you to make Apple care. They're still selling them as fast as they can make them. One can also make the easy bet that the iPad Mini is probably outselling those "HD" mini tablets.

What next? You going to whine about how it doesn't have an SD card slot or a "real" filesystem?
    I couldn't care less what the ignorant masses prefer or want.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Forcing yourself to be unique so your can't be clumped into the masses category doesn't mean you're not ignorant. Note that it's ignorant individuals in the masses that go out their way to prove to everyone else they are unique.
  • Reply 20 of 27

Quote:

Do you also wear the mass-produced, Cambodian-made T-shirt that says the same thing?