Google's Android on 59.5% of all 'smart mobile devices' shipped in Q1, Apple at 19.3%

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
According to research firm Canalys, Google's Android platform continues to dominate the worldwide mobile marketplace as the OS powered 59.5 percent of the nearly 310 million smart mobile devices shipped in the first quarter, while Apple managed to grow its iOS and OS X presence to a 19.3 percent share.

In a report on Thursday, Canalys (via ZDNet) estimated that "smart mobile device" shipments, comprised of smartphones, tablets and laptops, grew to 308.7 million units by the end of quarter one, a 37.4 percent increase from the year ago period.

Canalys
Source: Canalys

Out of the three device classes, tablets exhibited the strongest growth with a 106.1 percent year-on-year increase to 41.9 million shipped units. Apple led the way with a 46.4 percent share of the global market, though Android ate at the iPad's chunk of the pie for the third straight quarter.

Smartphone shipments hit 216.3 million units representing growth of 47.9 percent. Android accounted for 75.6 percent of units shipped, with Samsung showing growth of 64.3 percent to end the quarter with a 32 percent marketshare. Apple grew its share 6.7 percent year-over-year, the slowest growth rate since the original iPhone launched in 2007.

"Despite its slowing growth, Apple still shipped over 37 million iPhones," said Canalys Principal Analyst Pete Cunningham. ?But HTC and Samsung have raised the bar with their latest handsets and Apple needs to respond with its next iPhone."

Due to Canalys' methodology, Microsoft came in behind Android and Apple with a 19.3 percent share of the "smart mobile device" market thanks to its huge influence in the notebook PC segment. The notebook market saw 50.5 million shipped units, a contraction of 13.1 percent from 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

But, web traffic and apps downloaded are more on Apple Store. It does not matter how many are sold ( or shipped) if people are not downloading apps or browsing web, because, Google cant generate money if they do so.

• Reply 2 of 92
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Let's see:

Samsung has 26.6 % (including all OS platforms ?)
    Apple has 19.3 % (iOS Only)
    Lenovo Sony Huawei have 11.3% and others have 42.6% (including all OS platforms)

I like Apple's position the best.
    Apple makes more profit than all of the vendors combined and will continue to do so.

• Reply 3 of 92
    macharry demacharry de Posts: 126member
    Wait, the entire world votes for free food but some people are still buying premium food and beverages (like Coke). The entire world drinks a lot of water for free. Hey, GREAT!

Wine for the rest of us ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 92
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    The chart on the right says that MICROSOFT nearly equaled APPLE in worldwide "smart mobile device" market share, [B][I]based on Q1 shipments.[/I][/B]

Nearly 56 million units, compared to Apple's 59 million.

Microsoft sells the Surface, Nokia sells the Lumia and together, they [B][I]SHIPPED[/I][/B] 55 million units? REALLY??

*cough* ri-i-i-i-ight.

Not to mention, there's that "shipped units = market share" nonsense again.

I'm thinking pretty much NONE of this guy's "analysis" carries any credibility. Next!
  • Reply 5 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

So Apple (iOS & OSX) is outselling Windows mobile and laptop (apart from servers and desktops)..

Quite an achievement.

• Reply 6 of 92
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

The chart on the right says that MICROSOFT nearly equaled APPLE in worldwide "smart mobile device" market share, based on Q1 shipments.

Microsoft sells the Surface, Nokia sells the Lumia and together, they SHIPPED 55 million units? REALLY??

*cough* ri-i-i-i-ight.

Not to mention, there's that "shipped units = market share" nonsense again…

Microsoft only sold 3 Million Surface units.  

• Reply 7 of 92
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm still wondering what the 59.5% of people who own "smart mobile devices" are actually doing with their devices, since they're apparently not using them as smart devices all that often. Wouldn't it be more appropriate and more accurate to refer to the majority of Android devices as "dumb mobile devices"? Or perhaps the devices qualify as smart, but the owners are just dummies?

Android is such a damn low end brand, and these numbers only serve to further back that up.

It is downright embarrassing that Android is "dominating" in marketshare, yet it is losing in just about every other category, including the most important of all, profits. These figures say a lot about Apple, who with their smaller marketshare, is just killing everything else out there, with their better devices and far superior OS. Apple is just one company, Android devices are made by a whole bunch of companies, who are engaged in a pathetic race to the bottom.

Apple had better make the next iPhone be amazing. Don't worry too much about the price, make it $100 more if it needs to be and if the price can be justified by including some crazy new tech. Just make it blow away anything else out there. People have no problems with paying for Apple quality. Those who do, well, there's plenty of Android phones for them to choose from. I've said this a million times before, but Apple doesn't need to join in on the race to the bottom. 

• Reply 8 of 92
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Come down,  read the heading of the charts "Smart mobile devices".

• Reply 9 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

The chart on the right says that MICROSOFT nearly equaled APPLE in worldwide "smart mobile device" market share, based on Q1 shipments.

Microsoft sells the Surface, Nokia sells the Lumia and together, they SHIPPED 55 million units? REALLY??

*cough* ri-i-i-i-ight.

I'm thinking pretty much NONE of this guy's "analysis" carries any credibility. Next!

LAPTOPS

If it wasn't for Vaio Sony wouldn't even be on there.

Samsung also sells laptops windows and chrome, Lenovo too, the only purely handset maker outside "other" seems to be Huawei.

• Reply 10 of 92
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacHarry de View Post

Wait, the entire world votes for free food but some people are still buying premium food and beverages (like Coke). The entire world drinks a lot of water for free. Hey, GREAT!

Wine for the rest of us ;-)

Coke is a premium food? You flatter them :)

• Reply 11 of 92
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

*cough* ri-i-i-i-ight.

it's desktop + mobile.

Apple surpassed microsoft on everything, completely all by themselves against an army of OEMs.

• Reply 12 of 92
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Isn't this comparing apples and oranges. Google has 59% and Apple grows by 19%... those figure don't relate???

Google is now trying to emulate Microsoft by dominating with a cheap copy, but I think Apple has learnt that lesson.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    God, if you're up there, please save us from these boring, statistic-driven stories, and the opinions of analysts.

I implore thee.

I promise I'll be good from now on...
  • Reply 14 of 92

cheap always wins marketshare.

• Reply 15 of 92
    g o dg o d Posts: 1member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

God, if you're up there, please save us from these boring, statistic-driven stories, and the opinions of analysts.

I implore thee.

I promise I'll be good from now on...

No problem.

I'll get right on it.

• Reply 16 of 92
    How do you compare Android which is the only viable option for any phone maker other than Apple. All other OS have been proven to fail and nobody wants to take on Apple and Google at this point in the game. If iOS were available to any other phone maker, Android would not even be a popular name. Apple keeps the software in house, which in turn makes their products more interesting to consumers which make consumers buy Apple products. That is where they make the chunk of their money. The few billions the iOS and the app store provide is chump change to the total revenue Apple makes. Take a look at how much money Google makes in their overall revenue, I'll just say that 99% of their revenue comes from advertising during web searching. Google was and still is the main search engine for iOS, they would have made the same, if not more if they didn't create Android. Android users are proven to use the web (ie. Google) A LOT less than iOS users, more iPhones sold, more searching for Google. I suppose they are in the boat of the xbox 360. Microsoft actually took a loss in their gaming division for MANY years. Just recently did they actually turn a profit. They did it to stay with the big boys like Sony and Nintendo. Google has no true innovation so they need to pay big money if they want to remain relevant in this industry. I have some friends that don't live the greatest of neighborhoods and their pay grade is well below middle class, they all have some Android phone and all of their friends do too. Not because it's better than an iPhone or they like it more, simply because they can't afford an iPhone and the plan that you have to get along with it. They have slow internet from companies like boost mobile where it gets irritating to even use the phone for anything but calls and text and the slide down notification bar. Comparing Apple to every other phone manufacturer in the world is one of the greatest compliments Apple can receive.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    mudman2mudman2 Posts: 54member
    here we go, Shipped vs Sales again

lol losers
  • Reply 18 of 92
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm still wondering what the 59.5% of people who own "smart mobile devices" are actually doing with their devices, since they're apparently not using them as smart devices all that often. Wouldn't it be more appropriate and more accurate to refer to the majority of Android devices as "dumb mobile devices"? Or perhaps the devices qualify as smart, but the owners are just dummies?

Android is such a damn low end brand, and these numbers only serve to further back that up.

It is downright embarrassing that Android is "dominating" in marketshare, yet it is losing in just about every other category, including the most important of all, profits. These figures say a lot about Apple, who with their smaller marketshare, is just killing everything else out there, with their better devices and far superior OS. Apple is just one company, Android devices are made by a whole bunch of companies, who are engaged in a pathetic race to the bottom.

Apple had better make the next iPhone be amazing. Don't worry too much about the price, make it $100 more if it needs to be and if the price can be justified by including some crazy new tech. Just make it blow away anything else out there. People have no problems with paying for Apple quality. Those who do, well, there's plenty of Android phones for them to choose from. I've said this a million times before, but Apple doesn't need to join in on the race to the bottom. 

Oh yes. Well said.

• Reply 19 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    g o d wrote: »
    No problem.

I'll get right on it.

Do you have a private email? I have a list of requests!
  • Reply 20 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mudman2 wrote: »
    here we go, Shipped vs Sales again

lol losers

It is amazing how Apple haters lap this tripe up. They are told what to think and they do, like they have no minds. The irony is Apple haters have the nerve to call Apple users sheeple .... :no: