Connecting to an OS X Server 10.2 from Windows 98

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here?s my situation...

I have set up an OS X Server on our network. It runs server version 10.2.3 on PowerMac G4 Dual Ghz Quicksilver. I need to be able to share files for my Windows clients. It works without a hitch for Mac OS 8/9/X clients. The PCs run Windows 98. I have turned Windows File Sharing on in the Server Settings utility, and it indeed appears in the Network Neighborhood on the Windows 98 clients. When I go to connect to the server in Windows 98, I get a box saying, ?You must supply a password to make this connection,? followed by ?Resource: \\\\G4SERVER\\IPC$?. Now, I have tried typing in the address to the server, 10.11.12.12, to no avail.

Further, I have also turned on DNS, but that did not help. I have not, however, edited the DNS files. Client for Microsoft Networks is installed on the Windows 98 clients.

I have been just about everywhere on the web, and read all the Apple-related literature, and none of it has really answered my question as to why Windows 95/98 computers cannot connect to it. I will add though I can connect to the server through ?My Network Places? in Windows 2000.

Can anyone out there lend me any answers or suggestions? It would be greatfully appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    I'm not sure if this will be helpfull but for my wife to be able to access her files on our iMac from her pc laptop I had to also go into her account settings and check the little box 'allow user to log in from windows' now when she enters her password she is connected to her account on the iMac.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    In order to connect you need to have password server running on the OS X server. It is enabled in the Open Directory Setup application that is run at server setup. Once it is enabled you need to set users in Workgroup Manager to use "password server" passwords, instead of basic passwords.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    The frustrating thing is I have done all that and I still cannot connect from Windows 98. Windows 2000, yes. Windows 98, IPC$.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Have you logged into Win98 with the same username and password as the account you created on the OSX server?

Win98 uses the current login username/password for all servers you try connect to - it's pretty hopeless on a network.

Other than that have you tried connecting to the exact path of the shared resource? ie: //ipaddress/folder/subfolder
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yep. Nothing works... IPC$
  • Reply 6 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>Yep. Nothing works... IPC$</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've had this problem too. No luck, eh? Too bad, I was hoping for a fix (btw, my machine was 10.2 client). The problem is definitely on the Win98 side, though.