Popular game engine Unity drops licensing fees for iOS app developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Unity, the company behind the eponymous game rendering engine, announced on Tuesday that it will no longer be charging an $800 licensing fee to developers looking to make apps for Apple's iOS and Google's Android.

Unity

As Unity CEO David Helgason explained at the firm's Unite Nordic conference, the decision to drop fees for the tool's basic feature set is part of a push to make mobile game development more accessible, reports Pocket Gamer.

Helgason noted that his team has been looking forward to offering a no charge mobile version of Unity for some time after having already made a free option available for desktop and Web platforms.

"Mobile games development is possibly the most dynamic and exciting industry in the world," Helgason said, "and it's an honor to be able to help so many developers be so successful in fulfilling their visions and in building their businesses."

According to the company's blog, game studios and "incorporated entities" which made in excess of $100,000 last year are required to purchase a paid version of Unity 4.

A number of high-profile games are powered by Unity, including Rovio's Bad Piggies, Imangi's Temple Run 2 and Madfinger Games' upcoming Dead Trigger 2.

Source: Pocket Gamer

Tuesday's new price structure comes about two years after the company dropped a $200 fee for Indie developers, a move that Helgason said helped grow the Unity community from 13,000 devs to just under 2 million.

Although not announced at the conference, Helgason pointed out in the blog post that identical free-of-charge models will be rolling out for Microsoft's Windows 8 and BlackBerry 10 in the coming months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Obviously his mother didn't dress him.. she would have fixed the collar on his shirt. Sorry, I didn't hear a word of the video, I was too enthralled laughing as his shirt.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    He always appears like that. European. I think that's a good enough excuse. :)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

Obviously his mother didn't dress him.. she would have fixed the collar on his shirt. Sorry, I didn't hear a word of the video, I was too enthralled laughing as his shirt.

LMAO! Is this guy stuck in the fifties or what!?

• Reply 4 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jasenj1 wrote: »
    He always appears like that. European. I think that's a good enough excuse. :)

More Star Trek than European I think.
  • Reply 5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

LMAO! Is this guy stuck in the fifties or what!?

I was more thinking gay vampire..  "I vant to suck your ..."

• Reply 6 of 11

Regardless of the founder's fashion choice, Unity is amazing software and a great tool. Their business model of giving away a basic version - that is completely usable for commercial purposes - is refreshing. SketchUp used to have a similar license (the free version could be used for commercial work) but that has changed in the latest version. Imagine if Adobe only required companies over a certain size to pay for CS.

I think Unity has a good license model for "professionally sized" software.

- Jasen.

• Reply 7 of 11
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    Good to see 1980s MTV is finally being syndicated in Copenhagen.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bryanlbryanl Posts: 67member

I clicked on this article just to see how some of the regulars would either a) pick apart the offering or b) make fun of the guy in the video. AppleInsider posters do not disappoint!

• Reply 9 of 11
    deansoleckideansolecki Posts: 256member
    So, as far as I can tell... you drop $1500 for unity 4, and "included" in that price is a watered down "iOS Lite" development kit that has a subset of the tools that you may already be accustomed to using? Not sure if I've got this right, but it seems like non-news.

https://store.unity3d.com/ (check out the "compare" under iOS Pro.)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

So, as far as I can tell... you drop $1500 for unity 4, and "included" in that price is a watered down "iOS Lite" development kit that has a subset of the tools that you may already be accustomed to using? Not sure if I've got this right, but it seems like non-news.

This is just the same as the normal Free vs Pro version.  The free version for Windows, Linux, and Mac and Web Player all are missing those same features... so they they added in free iOS support, they also have it not supporting the normal Pro features so it matches up with all the other Free ones available.

• Reply 11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

No. The free version of Unity now includes the "Lite" versions of iOS and Android. Before, even the "Lite" version was a paid add-on. The Pro version adds a bunch of features, and comes with "Lite" iOS and Android deployment. I believe the Pro version of the iOS and Android deployment is still a paid add-on.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing.