Google's new 3D Maps destroy Manhattan in the wake of Apple's Flyover

Comments

• Reply 81 of 148
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    majjo wrote: »
    The majority of the bad press that apple maps suffered from was because of lost of data/accuracy and features (transit) due to switching away from Google. There were a few articles regarding flyover problems, but that was not the focus of the backwash. So considering the new Google maps doesn't suffer from these problems, double standard not found.

Also, backwash from apple maps didn't really pick up until it was released to the public, which hasn't happened with the new Google maps yet.

Is backwash worse than backlash? Besides Google Maps is just a little more accurate than Apple Maps. GM will return results whether they are right it not. AM will return correct results or no results at all.
    You don't remember that time when Apple forcibly removed Google maps from all iPhones and replaced it with their beta maps? It was about a year ago now.

Forcibly? I didn't upgrade immediately and I could still use Google Maps. In addition you could still get Waze and other mapping solutions.
  • Reply 82 of 148
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Smithereens View Post

You guys realize Google's who thing since the beginning has been invite-based beta testing.  It's ok for a product to have a few flaws when it is in beta.  It would be a much bigger deal (and I would be chastising them) if they made the OLD MAP THAT WORKED go away and REPLACED it with a broken piece of crap, like Apple did when they removed Google Maps from iOS.  This new Google map isn't even available to the general public yet.  Google has done plenty of things improperly, this is not one of them.  

The reality (as it always has been) is that google maps; good 'ol regular we-use-it-everyday google maps, has tons of errors that trip up people every single day. The difference is, that in google's case, nobody gives a f**k.  Free pass.

Apple had a small handful of errors, and a few smeary graphics. "broken piece of crap".

Google maps is wrong somewhere for somebody every single day. But keep puckering those lips.

• Reply 83 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

You don't remember that time when Apple forcibly removed Google maps from all iPhones and replaced it with their beta maps? It was about a year ago now.

No, I don't remember an inability to access Google Maps on iPhones. Maybe you don't live on the same planet as me.

Originally Posted by Joe Smithereens View Post

It's ok for a product to have a few flaws when it is in beta.

So by your own admission, the many, MANY flaws that Google Maps proper has aren't okay. Because that isn't beta.

It would be a much bigger deal (and I would be chastising them) if they made the OLD MAP THAT WORKED go away and REPLACED it with a broken piece of crap, like Apple did when they removed Google Maps from iOS.

Just shut up. This didn't happen. You have always been able to access Google Maps on an iDevice.

• Reply 84 of 148
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is backwash worse than backlash? Besides Google Maps is just a little more accurate than Apple Maps. GM will return results whether they are right it not. AM will return correct results or no results at all.

Lol sorry haven't had my morning caffeine yet.

As long as the accuracy isn't any worst than the previous version, I doubt there will be much backLash against Google maps.
  • Reply 85 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just shut up. This didn't happen. You have always been able to access Google Maps on an iDevice.

I seem to remember when iOS 6 was released, the new Apple Maps app REPLACED Google Maps, and you could only access it via a web browser on the iphone.

Oh wait, yeah, here it is http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/11/3076745/apple-maps-google-maps-replacement   And the rippled roads in Apple Maps were highlighted as funny - but the REAL criticism for Apple Maps was incorrect directions and incorrect public transit info.  They have since fixed it and it's much better.  

• Reply 86 of 148

I seem to remember when iOS 6 was released, the new Apple Maps app REPLACED Google Maps, and you could only access it via a web browser on the iphone.

This sentence not only contradicts what you said earlier, but itself.

• Reply 87 of 148
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

You guys realize Google's who thing since the beginning has been invite-based beta testing.  It's ok for a product to have a few flaws when it is in beta.  It would be a much bigger deal (and I would be chastising them) if they made the OLD MAP THAT WORKED go away and REPLACED it with a broken piece of crap, like Apple did when they removed Google Maps from iOS.  This new Google map isn't even available to the general public yet.  Google has done plenty of things improperly, this is not one of them.  

Well obviously it is easier for Google to transition from one web based product to a newer one than for Apple to transition its own Maps app backend from an outsourced product served by Google to its own internal mapping system. Apple didn't have the luxury of doing a slow invite-only rollout. That is, however, how Apple rolls out its iOS updates (developers first, then the general public).

The fact remains that a year after iOS Maps introduced Flyover, Google's own attempts to copy this feature are poor, despite having been in the Google Earth game for many years prior to Apple's own product.

So spin things all you like. The bottom line is that all the reports of how terrible Apple was for releasing a cool new 3D satellite mapping visualization feature were wrong. It's much harder than it looks. 

• Reply 88 of 148
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Comparing the images, it looks like Apple's flyover is much better at creating a sense of depth, which makes it easier to discern one building from another.

Whereas in Google's 3D maps, the buildings all look jumbled together.
  • Reply 89 of 148
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Apple didn't do that. And seven months isn't a year.

Just like there are still problems in Google's mapping proper. Problems that everyone ignores.
    I doubt you'll ever agree with a view of Apple that isn't full of praise.

I suppose you forget the keynote previews etc of iOS that had Scott Forstall telling everyone how amazing & fabulous Apples solution was.
  • Reply 90 of 148

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I doubt you'll ever have a post that involves more than just part of the truth. We all have our doubts.

I suppose you forget the keynote previews etc of iOS that had Scott Forstall telling everyone how amazing & fabulous Apples solution was.

So he was to say that it was horrible? Come off it.

Touting the solution ?? "hype to stratospheric heights".

• Reply 91 of 148
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"So far, there hasn't been any embittered contempt voiced by the tech media for Google's attempts to chase Apple's Flyover coattails with a seriously flawed offering that doesn't even work on mobile devices; the sloppy release of Google's own 3D product also calls into question the company's hubris in fueling smear campaigns against Apple's own mapping product last fall." Shocked, simply shocked.

OTOH? Sonmething else I have to have a Google account to access?

No thanks.

• Reply 92 of 148
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...it's broken.

• Reply 93 of 148
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Forcibly? I didn't upgrade immediately and I could still use Google Maps. In addition you could still get Waze and other mapping solutions.

Heck I could have even still used "Google Maps": simply and conveniently by dropping a Safari Shortcut icon onto my Home Screen.

• Reply 94 of 148
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Personally, I find 3D maps to be an unnecessary feature for what all I am trying to do is to get from point A to point B.

I feel the same way about Street View, but some people can't live without that. 

• Reply 95 of 148
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Let's see, 3d flyover or street view, which is more useful?

I'm sorry, Apple just isn't there with useful mapping.

3D flyover.

Don't need no stinkin' Google looking over my shoulder as I use their maps.

• Reply 96 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It is amazing and fabulous. It just needed work, especially outside North America. Where Apple screwed up was not taking a page from Google, or  itself when it released Siri, and call the product a beta. You can't criticise a product that the developer tells you right out of the gate it needs work. Apple presented the product as finished. That was its mistake. 

• Reply 97 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's all 3D buildings are in the first place, both on Apple and Google.

The AI article implies that you can't currently view 3D buildings on Android, and that is simply not true. That's all I was trying to point out.

Why not point out the specific part of the article where it isn't clear that Google Earth isn't integrated with Google Maps.

So why won't Google Earth give turn by turn from point A to point B?

• Reply 98 of 148

Quote:

I agree with the whole Google beta thing. Google is a whimp, but a smart whimp. It called Gmail a beta for five years. Hard to criticize a free product labeled a beta. I have had my gmail account hacked twice. Gmail is now relgated to my junk mail account.  Apple's only mistake was not calling the product a beta. 

As far as the rest of your post is concerned dream on. Maps has never been a piece of crap, at least in the US. The maps are prettier, load faster, use less data, is integrated with Siri, and provided turn by turn directions that Google wasn't offering Apple on terms it was OK with. Apple did everybody a favor by dumping Google's product. iOS users obtained a new mapping solution, that for many people, myself included is great. It highlighted some other mapping solutions, like Waze. In turn, Google was forced to release a mapping solution that wasn't handicapped and offered turn by turn. 

Moreover, people could always use Google maps through Safari on any iOS device provided you had an internet connection. 

• Reply 99 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaggablug View Post

Must have missed the bit where Google pushed the Google Maps /preview/ live and removed all alternative working solutions.

Street view is the normal workflow for people to search for somewhere then explore the immediate vicinity, not launch another app.

I employ a method called "going there and looking around" it's only a couple of million years old, same as why I don't need weather widgets where I use a method called "looking out the window".

• Reply 100 of 148
    thesiferthesifer Posts: 1member
    So... Confused.. Their Beta version of Maps, still looks like it's in Beta? Weird.