How does Forty-Two Work

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

I download the Forty-Two application that should allow me to rip DVDs to a number of formats (VCD, SVCD, DVD, DIVx, etc.). I put in my Star Wars movie and attempted to rip the DVD to a DVD, not only did it take forever (2 days to complete) but I can't make head or tails what it did.

The application created two files a Movie.mpg and a biles.mpv. What do I do with these files?

Can some tell me how this app is suppose to work? Do I need any other software?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    First off, what processor do you have.

Secondly, read the Read Me attentively and follow instructions. There is a 1.0.2 updater that corrects some things.

To 'backup' my DVD of 3 Kings I left it over night and next morning it was done. I set it to "1 CD quality" so the final file came out to approx 650MB. This is with a 733MHz G4 and only 256MB ram.

The only prob is that there is a colored line on bottom and sometimes on top. The author said its a trade off for the speed at which it rips. I wont get a green stripe if I do certain things (which he has not explained yet)

Anyway, give feedback to the author since its still in its infancy.

Nonetheless, the BEST 'back up' app I've ever used (ease wise).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>First off, what processor do you have.

Secondly, read the Read Me attentively and follow instructions. There is a 1.0.2 updater that corrects some things.

To 'backup' my DVD of 3 Kings I left it over night and next morning it was done. I set it to "1 CD quality" so the final file came out to approx 650MB. This is with a 733MHz G4 and only 256MB ram.

The only prob is that there is a colored line on bottom and sometimes on top. The author said its a trade off for the speed at which it rips. I wont get a green stripe if I do certain things (which he has not explained yet)

Anyway, give feedback to the author since its still in its infancy.

Nonetheless, the BEST 'back up' app I've ever used (ease wise).</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have a 933 MHz QuickSilver. I am running 10.2.3. How did you burn your backed up movie? Was it in DIVx format?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i just started up Forty Two, selected 1CD Divx, dragged DVD onto app, and pressed start. Thats it.

Be aware that it doesnt play well with all DVDs. I have a DVD that doesnt like 42 at all, wont even select it.

Gove feedback to the author