Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer personally visits Hollywood to sell studios on Xbox One

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    clegercleger Posts: 17member
    XBox One will probably not sell well -- at least not to anyone currently using XBox live. It doesn't work so well -- you expect things to be great when it's so network bound? My guess; This will go over like Metro on Windows 8 -- but we shall see. I'd actually like to see some success here -- but there's no way I want to give away total control of games to them. I'm really sick of the cloud -- and it's just starting. The NEW upgrade of the future -- like when people got rid of their netbooks -- will be "network independence." Hear me now and believe me later little girly man.

I really hope many more people are thinking like you! I work for the disk company that makes the Xbox games disk and packages them and I would like to have a job for a little bit longer there. Oh btw guys at work have already played the new call of duty at work on our xboxs. It's pretty cool. We're making them right now.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Pity all those consoles are ugly and of dirt cheap build quality.

Completely unusable as entertainment system or to pull up some game socially since merely turning the machine on makes you believe to sit at some helipad.

What we need is a new Apple TV with App Store integration and open to developers. :)

• Reply 23 of 26
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    edit: Pipped by StephanJobs.

Lol

I'm just saying....

At any rate, it should be an interesting end to the year.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Look at that console, it's a monstrosity with not an ounce of ingenuity compared to their previous console designs. It's a box with their name on it. Who designed it? Fry's Electronics?

It was probably designed by somebody who tried fitting an oddly-shaped vertical device into a stack of home entertainment equipment. I very much prefer the design of the new unit over previous styles. It's more elegant and less "boy racer" and can also be STACKED with other devices in a home entertainment system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ursadorable View Post

XBox, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, tv, sports, sports, sports, sports, call of duty, call of duty, dog, call of duty, tv, tv, Xbox go home.

Enuff said..

Um, not quite "enuff" for this particular slowpoke. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Help me out.

• Reply 25 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Um, not quite "enuff" for this particular slowpoke. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Help me out.

I think that he was commenting on the fact that the Xbox One reveal event focused more on the entertainment aspects and capabilities of the device than on games.  Which, actually makes sense with E3 starting on Wednesday, and Microsoft's E3 press conference on Monday, June 10.

• Reply 26 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    jim phong wrote: »
    And the quality is just barely average. The Last Of Us game for PS3 is way better.

That doesn't mean the PS3 is a better console. If Naughty Dog had targeted The Last of Us for the PS4, it would look better and have been easier to develop for - the raw computational power of the PS4 is 10x the PS3. There's a technical breakdown of The Last of Us here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-the-last-of-us

It runs at 720p 30fps with custom anti-aliasing. Baked indirect lighting vs dynamic. They mention that official gameplay videos are rendered at higher quality than normal for promotional purposes. When you check out 3rd party gameplay, you can spot a few visual downgrades that wouldn't be there in next-gen consoles:

[VIDEO]

For example, objects and characters can be tessellated to have smooth edges, the indirect lighting would be dynamic so the torch light would bounce around and illuminate more than the small circle, memory is higher at 8GB vs 512MB so more detailed textures and geometry, the foliage and things are still flat textures, which can be made more detailed.

It does highlight the plateau effect of graphics technology though, which is that adding more processing doesn't necessarily add to the experience. There's a comparison by Guerilla of the PS3 and PS4 versions of Killzone:

http://www.guerrilla-games.com/presentations/Valient_Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Demo_Postmortem.pdf

Some of the screenshots they explain the visual differences but you do have to look pretty hard sometimes to see any difference at all e.g secondary reflections and things. They do note at the end that it's really easy to develop for. I think this is where the iOS devices will start to pick up in terms of AAA games. Just recently, there was an announcement that the next Deus Ex game would come to iOS first:

[VIDEO]

The video got 11,000 downvotes and 860 upvotes. People are going to resist the increasing move into post-pc platforms but as long as the developers do it right, it should be ok. Some controller support would help alleviate the tension but I think the visual boost the next-gen iOS devices get will help too. The way it's going is that platforms are just becoming easier to target, which allows developers to focus on the games and stories than the technical hurdles. It gives them a wider audience as they have a shared architecture across consoles so they can monetize the games better.

I'd say these next-gen consoles are the final stage in the move towards hardware irrelevance. It won't matter if they go up another 10x, the gamers won't notice the difference because the developers likely won't be able to use the extra power for anything meaningful.
    I think that he was commenting on the fact that the Xbox One reveal event focused more on the entertainment aspects and capabilities of the device than on games.

Yeah, they've set themselves up for a lot of flak from the gaming community:

[VIDEO]

Designing it like a VCR was their first mistake. There was a mockup somewhere of an old VHS tape with a Call of Duty Dogs label on it and that summed up the gaming side quite well. Their focus seems to be on money-making franchises rather than what made those franchises so popular, which was innovative gaming. The first Modern Warfare was popular because it shook up the WW1&2 game formats and brought them up to date for a modern audience. The trend now is to make largely the same game with new maps and almost no focus on making a new experience and is where Nintendo is failing now too i.e this franchise popular, let's do it again and again and again. It's understandable as it's risky making new franchises that people might not like but it's the only way to keep gaming interesting.