Apple throws out the rulebook for its unique next-gen Mac Pro

Comments

• Reply 1221 of 1320
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

All of the products you are showing are prosumer based crap and not used by professional recording studios all that much.  And most of those items aren't really classified as a musical instrument.  Are you a musician or one of those that want to create computer based music without having any knowledge of actually knowing how to play a musical instrument?   A lot of those items are basically toys and quite useless to REAL musicians. The downfall of the music industry are kids trying to make music without actually learning how to play a musical instrument.  It's a shame too.  

The RAVEN product is basically a touch screen interface to a professional grade DAW software like ProTools, not Abelton Live which isn't considered a professional level DAW, it's more of just a sequencer for people that don't know how to play a musical instrument and do things the REAL way of creating music.

Yea, I'm not a professional by any means of the definition. I have played piano, 30 years (12 years with our local orchestra), Guitar 22 years, flute 18 years and I sing. I make music for children and the church we belong to, I don't need much to do that.

• Reply 1222 of 1320
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yea, I'm not a professional by any means of the definition. I have played piano, 30 years (12 years with our local orchestra), Guitar 22 years, flute 18 years and I sing. I make music for children and the church we belong to, I don't need much to do that.

Well, then spend more time playing music, instead of playing with those toy whatever they call them.   Some of those things are a waste of money.  

The cheaper Raven is around $2500, but the bigger one is a LOT more than $2500.  I think it's around $15 to $18K for the larger 46inch model.  I don't know anyone who's used one, but I know they've sold a few of them.  It makes a lot of sense, but I would have to try one first.

• Reply 1223 of 1320
    Quote:

Well, then spend more time playing music, instead of playing with those toy whatever they call them.   Some of those things are a waste of money.  

The cheaper Raven is around $2500, but the bigger one is a LOT more than $2500.  I think it's around $15 to $18K for the larger 46inch model.  I don't know anyone who's used one, but I know they've sold a few of them.  It makes a lot of sense, but I would have to try one first.

I do, well I should say we do as I'm in a all mommy group. We use those toys to edit, add background, produce, just make the tracks sound better, I guess is all all I'm saying. To record the music we use my iPad 4 attached to a Mackie DL 1608, using Auria. Right now the only DAW controllers I have is the Notion Zero SL MKII (which is a incredible useful machine and can't recommended it enough) and a Akai APC 40(which isn't mine, it's on permanent lone from someone who works in a professional studio. they use 4 of them). All of the products I listed above except for Surface Pro is used by professionals as well, I don't will nilly buy things for my home studio unless they are recommended by this person and others who work in a studio, I also get to use them in his studio before hand. Just because they use equipment that doesn't cost 1,000's is in no way a sign that it is just a toy. If Armin Van Buuren and 100's of other musicians use Abelton Live, it's defiantly good enough for my little operation. I'm sorry but I really do not think you have done enough research on this, you'll be amazed what musicians nowadays do with just using their iPads and laptops.

• Reply 1224 of 1320
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    wizard69 wrote: »

For a long time Apples laptops have been a big fail in the service department. I have to wonder though how a service tech would rate the new machines. Personally I view serviceability as extremely important which is one reason I reject the iMac. Even so I have to wonder how far away we are from disposable computers, especially laptops.

Apple laptops are no more nor less repairable than any other. Our IT dept has no issues with them despite having fewer apple support staff than windows ones.

The resolution for all laptops is the same. They hand you a temp one with all your stuff restored on it and yours gets sent to either dell or apple for servicing if the issue is nontrivial. We have service contracts with both.

Same for desktops as near as I can tell. They maintain enough spares in the pool to cover issues.
  • Reply 1225 of 1320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Apple laptops are no more nor less repairable than any other. Our IT dept has no issues with them despite having fewer apple support staff than windows ones.

The resolution for all laptops is the same. They hand you a temp one with all your stuff restored on it and yours gets sent to either dell or apple for servicing if the issue is nontrivial. We have service contracts with both.

Same for desktops as near as I can tell. They maintain enough spares in the pool to cover issues.

That might be but they are an absolute pain to take apart. I had a 17" Macbook that I sent to Apple for repair and it came back dented in many places around the seems. Apple of course replaced but I can only imagine independent Apple authorized repair shops probably dread them.

• Reply 1226 of 1320
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

That might be but they are an absolute pain to take apart. I had a 17" Macbook that I sent to Apple for repair and it came back dented in many places around the seems. Apple of course replaced but I can only imagine independent Apple authorized repair shops probably dread them.

I've opened my MBP to add RAM and swap out the HDD.  It's a few screws.  The iMacs can be a pain with the glue.

• Reply 1227 of 1320
    Quote:

I've opened my MBP to add RAM and swap out the HDD.  It's a few screws.  The iMacs can be a pain with the glue.

The 27inch iMac has a user accessible panel to add RAM.  If you need a bigger drive than what it comes with, go external.  It's better since you get to keep it when you replace the main box.  I personally and going to rethink my next desktop. I am seriously considering when I replace my current iMac to buy a desktop with 128G of SSD and then go with an external SSD storage.  It will be much faster/more reliable than using a traditional drive as my main storage.  Sure it will cost more in the beginning, but when I change base units, I just retain the external SSD drive and I don't have to transfer all of my data from one internal drive to the next. So, the new Mac Pro design is actually a good direction in a lot of ways.

I'm just waiting for the faster SSD external drives become available, which will probably happen next year.

• Reply 1228 of 1320
    Quote:

The 27inch iMac has a user accessible panel to add RAM.  If you need a bigger drive than what it comes with, go external.  It's better since you get to keep it when you replace the main box.  I personally and going to rethink my next desktop. I am seriously considering when I replace my current iMac to buy a desktop with 128G of SSD and then go with an external SSD storage.  It will be much faster/more reliable than using a traditional drive as my main storage.  Sure it will cost more in the beginning, but when I change base units, I just retain the external SSD drive and I don't have to transfer all of my data from one internal drive to the next. So, the new Mac Pro design is actually a good direction in a lot of ways.

I'm just waiting for the faster SSD external drives become available, which will probably happen next year.

Why a SSD, there are much larger mechanical drives. Do you really need the speed for backups or even data. It's not like you can't watch movies or even do high end video editing with a 7200 RPM drive. Heck get a 15K Hitachi drive, still cheaper then a 600GB SSD. I totaly understand using a SSD for your system, external not so much. Not when you can buy 4TB drives for so cheap.

• Reply 1229 of 1320
    Quote:

Really, I'm so afraid I will break it. I've upgraded my iMac though, the glue part sucks, your right about that. I used a plastic knife for clay to do it.

• Reply 1230 of 1320
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

I thought I was the only one who liked the 17".

Quote:

Where have they been shown as more reliable? They don't suffer from mechanical wear, yet there are other possible causes of drive death.

• Reply 1231 of 1320
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Oh gosh I loved my 17" Macbook, I used it for Logic mostly. I was really disapointed when they discontinued it. Oh well, my Macbook Air connected to a NEC monitor is more then adequate now for my music and programming needs.

• Reply 1232 of 1320
    Quote:

Why a SSD, there are much larger mechanical drives. Do you really need the speed for backups or even data. It's not like you can't watch movies or even do high end video editing with a 7200 RPM drive. Heck get a 15K Hitachi drive, still cheaper then a 600GB SSD. I totaly understand using a SSD for your system, external not so much. Not when you can buy 4TB drives for so cheap.

What external 15K based boxes are out there?  I'm not going to repeat myself because of your lack of wanting to listen. I am thinking of just going with internal SSD and then an external box.

I'm looking at LaCie Thunderbolt SSD Little Big Disk with 1TB of SSD.  But I'm thinking of waiting until the next generation when they start using faster SSDs. That so far, is what I'm considering, but again, I'm just in the research mode.  I do lots of streaming of audio while I'm doing something else at the same time.

• Reply 1233 of 1320
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    relic wrote: »

Like it or not that sound pretty professional. To put it bluntly amateurs don't play with the local orchestra for 12 years straight.

I will repeat my last comment you have many talents, gifts if you will.
  • Reply 1234 of 1320
    Quote:

What external 15K based boxes are out there?  I'm not going to repeat myself because of your lack of wanting to listen. I am thinking of just going with internal SSD and then an external box.

I'm looking at LaCie Thunderbolt SSD Little Big Disk with 1TB of SSD.  But I'm thinking of waiting until the next generation when they start using faster SSDs. That so far, is what I'm considering, but again, I'm just in the research mode.  I do lots of streaming of audio while I'm doing something else at the same time.

I read and comprehend what your saying just fine, an external SSD is a waste for what you intend to do with it. You can purchase a 15K Hitachi drive and insert it into any number of external RAID cases. Almost every manufacturer sells their RAID systems without hard drives. It's up to you though, if you sleep better at night with a SSD drive then go for it and no they do not last longer then a magnetic mechanical drive.

• Reply 1235 of 1320
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Like it or not that sound pretty professional. To put it bluntly amateurs don't play with the local orchestra for 12 years straight.

I just didn't want to brag, I also play in local festivals every year, which I enjoy more. I don't get payed most of the time, I do it because I really enjoy playing for people. That's all that really matters to me. I know lot's of professional musicians though and I know what equipment they use. That's why I posted what I did.

• Reply 1236 of 1320
    nht wrote: »

I'm assuming you have a newer model. The new MBP are probably easier to repair than the iMacs. The purée 2008 MBPs where a nightmare. This is perhaps what is most frustrating about Apple hardware you can actually get to the guts, the things likely to need servicing, fast with their laptops than Apples desktops.
  • Reply 1237 of 1320
    relic wrote: »
    I just didn't want to brag,
    I wouldn't want you too, however bringing joy to the world is worth commenting on.
    I also play in local festivals every year, which I enjoy more. I don't get payed most of the time, I do it because I really enjoy playing for people.
    That is nice. I never really got the chance to even consider learning music or the playing of instruments growing up. It was my fathers opinion that if I had time for such I didn't have enough work to do. A few years ago I bought a cheap guitar to "play" with but teaching an old dog new tricks is tough row to hoe.
    That's all that really matters to me. I know lot's of professional musicians though and I know what equipment they use. That's why I posted what I did.

Speaking of posting do you have any YouTube videos up of your band or other performances. For the music of course, this isn't an attempt to get a visual of Relic! ????????????????????????
  • Reply 1238 of 1320
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It depends on the orchestra.   I've heard plenty of amateur orchestras that weren't that good, so don't let the term "orchestra" mislead you. I can't comment on the one she plays with or comment on her playing.   

• Reply 1239 of 1320
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Where have they been shown as more reliable? They don't suffer from mechanical wear, yet there are other possible causes of drive death.

Well, I have two HDDs that are both less than 2 years old and one works and one doesn't.  Both were purchased new and both are external.  So, I honestly don't know what else to tell you other than that.

• Reply 1240 of 1320
    Quote:

It depends on the orchestra.   I've heard plenty of amateur orchestras that weren't that good, so don't let the term "orchestra" mislead you. I can't comment on the one she plays with or comment on her playing.   

Guess which one I am, strings, blonde. Start is at 1:40, just fast forward, the rest isn't very interesting. Okay, you can clearly see me at 1:47, the violin is clearly not my choice of instrument though, so please forgive the mistakes for those with good ears.I have only been playing for less then 7 years. I didn't mention it before because I'm still in the beginning with it, please be kind.