What is this ? about?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I just bought a mac mini 2012 and before ever turning it on I inserted a new hard drive.  After inserting the hard drive and upgrading my Ram I turned on the system and ? was on the screen.  How do I get my OS X system to work at this point.  

Thanks Kells

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Kells 247 View Post

I just bought a mac mini 2012 and before ever turning it on I inserted a new hard drive.

You never do this, ever, for any reason. How do you know that there wasn't a problem with the shipping system?

After inserting the hard drive and upgrading my Ram I turned on the system and ? was on the screen.

Obviously.

How do I get my OS X system to work at this point.  

Put the old hard drive back in. You know, the one that actually has software on it.

Have you ever done any sort of hardware updates before?

• Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    kells 247 wrote: »
    I just bought a mac mini 2012 and before ever turning it on I inserted a new hard drive.  After inserting the hard drive and upgrading my Ram I turned on the system and ? was on the screen.  How do I get my OS X system to work at this point.

If you just installed an unformatted drive, you will have to clone or install an OS onto it. You can do this by putting the drive you took out into a USB enclosure, boot holding the alt-key and choose the external. You can choose either the recovery drive, which will allow you to install a new system on the internal or you can boot the main partition, setup the system and clone it over using an app like Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner. If you haven't formatted the internal drive yet, do this in Disk Utility by setting the partition type to GUID and erase as HFS+ Journaled.