Greg Joswiak hints WWDC, PowerBook future

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In an interview on C|NET trouting the new PowerBook G4, Greg Joswiak, an Apple executive said that Apple is content with the current PowerBook Titanium form factor, stating that "We're really fond of what we've been able to do with this enclosure...". On the subject of WWDC, he said that Apple has been "very open" about WWDC, suggesting not to expect hardware suprises.

It seemed implied that Apple would stick with the current Titanium enclosure for the foreseeable future.

<a href="http://video.cnet.com:80/cgi-bin/visearch?user=cnet_news&template=playns6ormac_hias f.html&query=%2A&squery=%2BClipID%3A0+%2BVideoAsse t%3At050202_0400&inputField=&ccstart=3003&ccend=22 9545&videoID=t050202_0400&value=default&which=1&ol d=no&override=http://video.cnet.com:80/cnet_news/template/override_config.js&overrideCheck=no&cont=mv&hdr=ne ws_vid_hed.gif" target="_blank">The link for a Windows Media Player stream.</a>

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    This makes sense, I guess. There's not a lot that can be done to improve it now, and I don't think the enclosure is looking in any way dated yet. It certainly can't get a little smaller.

If these new models had Bluetooth built in, I'd have finally upgraded from my old PBG4. I use the IR port with my cell phone, and I know for sure I'd snap that little Bluetooth dongle before I got a chance to use it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Snapping dongles, eh?

Oi...

Do you use the slot for anything? You could probably find a bluetooth card for PC-cards. Maybe someone will make a hybrid airtooth-blueport card?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    WTF, I can't seem to play any of the videos at CNet. I've downloaded the Windows Media Player 7 yet I still get the message that I need the plug in.

Do I need to do something special after downloading the Player?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I wonder if Apple has addressed the issue of the surface of the Powerbook.

Still too slippery for my tastes. And from what I've read on this board, it doesn't seem to hold up very well to scratches and paint fading.

Fix this, and you may not only have a great form factor but a more usable product too.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Snapping dongles, eh?

Oi...

Do you use the slot for anything? You could probably find a bluetooth card for PC-cards. Maybe someone will make a hybrid airtooth-blueport card?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I use the slot for my VXPocket audio card and a little homebuilt doohicky for work.

I don't really need a new PowerBook, but the higher resolution and combo drive make it very tempting. I'm pretty certain Bluetooth is about to make an appearance in Apple hardware (beyond the D-Link solution), so I can wait.

Perhaps Apple itself intends to offer (ahem) airtooth-blueport hybrid cards? Makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I wonder how far bluetooth can go? It's cheap and low power, so it could get into lots of devices at minimal cost. But it's also REALLY SLOW, so I don't see it as much more than a beefier IR port. Airport, OTOH, is still a moving target. '11b' is the default standard rigt now, but there are at least 3 other standards out there. TexasInstruments has a 22Mbps version; there are two 54Mb versions, '11a' on 5Ghz band and incompatible with '11b' and then there's '11g' on the same 2.4ghz band and backwards compatible with '11b' This is to say nothing of yet another rumored 116Mbps version, which is probably just a fantasy, but who knows?

That's why I don't think it makes much sense to put airport on the MoBo: it's easier to change the way it is now. Bluetooth, OTOH, isn't likely to change from it's current form, so it makes a good MoBo addition.

Does anyone know who makes the airport cards for Apple? Does Apple make them? They look like PC-cards, but they aren't. Apple could contract someone to make hybrid airtooth/blueport cards for them if for some reason they have a lot of trouble putting blueetooth on the MoBo.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Bluetooth is very limited. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a decent replacement for IR. The speed isn't a huge issue, but it removes the necessity for a line of sight, and it's handier than cabling for connecting cell phones, PDAs, etc.

I do like the idea that I can pull out my PowerBook in the back seat of a cab and dial-up via my cell phone without having to balance it on my knee while trying to make sure the IR ports are looking each other square in the eye.

For connecting most other stuff (MP3 players, digital cameras...) I'd rather stick with USB or FireWire.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I guess this means no 16in. LCD.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by sjpsu:

<strong>I guess this means no 16in. LCD.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope not, have you seen how honking big those 16" sony laptops are? It defeats the purpose of a "lap"-top.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>In an interview on C|NET trouting the new PowerBook G4, Greg Joswiak, an Apple executive said that Apple is content with the current PowerBook Titanium form factor, stating that "We're really fond of what we've been able to do with this enclosure...".

It seemed implied that Apple would stick with the current Titanium enclosure for the foreseeable future.

<a href="http://video.cnet.com:80/cgi-bin/visearch?user=cnet_news&template=playns6ormac_hias f.html&query=%2A&squery=%2BClipID%3A0+%2BVideoAsse t%3At050202_0400&inputField=&ccstart=3003&ccend=22 9545&videoID=t050202_0400&value=default&which=1&ol d=no&override=http://video.cnet.com:80/cnet_news/template/override_config.js&overrideCheck=no&cont=mv&hdr=ne ws_vid_hed.gif" target="_blank">The link for a Windows Media Player stream.</a>

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

How can they change the form factor when the engineers who designed it left to build that small handheld WindowsCE computer?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    maffiosomaffioso Posts: 4member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kurt:

<strong>

How can they change the form factor when the engineers who designed it left to build that small handheld WindowsCE computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah I know, and its not like there are any other engineers out there...

Apple has found a design that works, and they should stay with it for as long as they can. Long live the TiBook.

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: maffioso ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kurt:

<strong>How can they change the form factor when the engineers who designed it left to build that small handheld WindowsCE computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's actually running a full version of WinXP Pro.