Curved displays to launch with Mac Pro?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone think Apple will make a curved display to launch with the new Mac Pro later this year?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Does anyone think Apple will make a curved display to launch with the new Mac Pro later this year?

Why would they do that? Honestly what would a curved display offer the average user?

I suppose if the display was big enough it might start to make sense, but that would be a pretty huge display. I will be happy to see an affordable high res display. The term retina may or may not apply here, so I use the phrase high res display.
  • Reply 2 of 10

Well, about 4+ years ago Steve Jobs mentioned the future of displays going curved. I just wonder if Apple will be saving that cool 'one more thing' for when the Mac Pro actually gets closer to launching.

• Reply 3 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well, about 4+ years ago Steve Jobs mentioned the future of displays going curved. I just wonder if Apple will be saving that cool 'one more thing' for when the Mac Pro actually gets closer to launching.

Missed that one. I can only see curved displays being useful with extremely large displays.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    The "Big Curved Desktop" as mentioned by Steve Jobs in 2007 @

It was mentioned that the new Mac Pro can support three 4K displays and in the link below shows what three curved 4k displays linked together look like @ http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/17/lg-curved-oled-launch-second-half-of-2013/

In action@
  • Reply 5 of 10
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Launching in the beginning of Sept. I understand.

• Reply 6 of 10

Just in time for curved 4k displays to be available at launch.

• Reply 7 of 10
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

Yes, the display is going to be cylindrical just like the mac pro, it will actually stand on top of it using the mac pro as a base. Therefor allowing multiple people to worship around the device.  

• Reply 8 of 10
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    mike fix wrote: »
    Yes, the display is going to be cylindrical just like the mac pro, it will actually stand on top of it using the mac pro as a base. Therefor allowing multiple people to worship around the device.

And when it erupts into flame due to cutting off the Mac Pro's airflow, it will be taken as a sign from on high that you probably shouldn't have done that. :p
  • Reply 9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

The "Big Curved Desktop" as mentioned by Steve Jobs in 2007 @

It was mentioned that the new Mac Pro can support three 4K displays and in the link below shows what three curved 4k displays linked together look like @ http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/17/lg-curved-oled-launch-second-half-of-2013/

In action@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&gl=US&client=mv-google&v=GiimFcnMosM&nomobile=1

Desktop Version of LG's New Curvy Display

I think this item can be shrinked down to a 27 to 21 inch display and costs about 1000 to 1,500 more than a normal monitor that would normally cost around 100 to 300 in terms of contrast ratio's being different and the refresh rate being less that 144 HZ... there wouldn't be much higher technologies than a premium Asus monitor can do today. So the only advantage would be that the screen would be bendable if it was using willow glass or a clear material and a sturdy bendable frame. The technology is hard to produce so the first generations will be buggy and cost a lot more than if we went into the future and just bought them as "standard" displays just like fat tube tv's now cost 40 dollars and flat panel monitors cost 80 to 300 for a normal 20 to 25 inch display.

Just like Bluray players cost 300 at the beginning, now they're the same price DVD players were when the Blu Ray format was introduced... the prices of this technology will be decreased by about 300% in 3 to 4 years because honestly you have to be extremely rich to buy a 5,000 monitor that doesn't have a 180 vision and isn't bendable. Thus, the first LG Curved Display is a fail.

• Reply 10 of 10

Honestly I don't think so~~ 

The tech is not as good as possible