Anyone care to compare the performance of this 2008 Air versus this specific new one?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

Btw the old Air is running this hard disk:

- - -

Obviously one of the main reasons I am asking is the reduction in clock speed 5 years on. I'm not too well up on Intel's processors. As much real world useful information as possible would be great. How much faster will the new machine be/feel; how much cooler will it run? The more basic the feedback the better. 

The comparison feedback should be for the models listed above.

Also: if I am to buy a new Air, should I opt for 256GB HD, 8GB RAM, 1.7Ghz? And why, specifically? Which of these 3 additions is the most important if I could just pick one? If I could only pick 2, which should I leave out?

Would I be better off choosing the most basic new 13" model (11 is too small, I've used it) and then upgrading to the Thunderbolt 2 Retina model next year? Many questions. Feedback on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    The difference between an i5 Haswell and Core 2 Duo is monumental. Also the 2008 MBA didn't have an SSD by default in it.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    winter wrote: »
    Also the 2008 MBA didn't have an SSD by default in it.

*cough* MacBook... Air?

The Air has always had an SSD. All models other than the 2013 one, however, have storage over SATA rather than PCIe.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*cough* MacBook... Air?

The Air has always had an SSD. All models other than the 2013 one, however, have storage over SATA rather than PCIe.

This machine didn't come with an SSD. I fitted it myself. The first few gen Airs had SSD or iPod hard drives, depending on your pocket book.

• Reply 4 of 15
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Very interested myself - my wife needs a portable.
    Tossing up between MBA13 or MBPr 13.
    Not trying to derail Ireland's request - all comments appreciated.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    robm wrote: »
    Very interested myself - my wife needs a portable.
    Tossing up between MBA13 or MBPr 13.
    Not trying to derail Ireland's request - all comments appreciated.

I didn't think you were trying to derail; seeing as you are interested in the same thing :P

So far the only feedback I've gotten is 'monumental'; whatever that's intended to mean. I was hoping for more tangible feedback. It's no help telling whether the Air came with an SSD or not, as I own the machine, and I clearly stated that it has an OWC Mercury SSD fitted. So taking that specific drive and the other tech specs listed into account, please, if anyone could compare those machines as concretely as they could using their knowledge and imagination I'd be greatful. The whole goal in telling you the particular hard drive listed is to more accurately get a comparison with the specific machine I own.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    *cough* MacBook... Air?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2445/12 <--- This link says hi.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland wrote: »
    This machine didn't come with an SSD. I fitted it myself. The first few gen Airs had SSD or iPod hard drives, depending on your pocket book.
    winter wrote: »

I gotta tell ya, I'm losing neurons left and right. Mea culpa. No idea why I thought the Air had always had NAND storage.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Hi Ireland - found this http://www.gizmag.com/macbook-air-vs-retina-macbook-pro-2013-specs-comparison/27871/

So general as to be useless but interesting comparisons succinctly described.
    You might glean something out of it.
    Still tossing up here in NZ - shoot, no Retina but ac wifi, faster ssd.

Not a clear choice for me either way. hmmm. Lack of Retina might be a deal breaker.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

You are to young to have a nervous breakdown.

• Reply 10 of 15

Quote:

I'm not even considering the rMBP. I own an Air right now. I just love the form factor too much. In an ideal world the Air would be Retina, but it's not a deal breaker and it'd cost a good bit more anyhow.

• Reply 11 of 15

Aside from Thunderbolt 2 and a possible Retina option, in what way might the 2014 Airs differ from these mid 2013 models? What procs will they use? And what difference in performance or battery life could be see from these new models?

• Reply 12 of 15

I think I've decided what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy the base 13" model and sell it to upgrade to a nicer Air in either 2014 or 2015.

• Reply 13 of 15

I gotta tell ya, I'm losing neurons left and right. Mea culpa. No idea why I thought the Air had always had NAND storage.

You might be thinking of "Back to the Mac" (in 2010) which to me is when the MBA hit its stride. It is also when the 11" model was first introduced.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member

I'd install http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/ on your current MBA, and compare results of that to their DB of benchmarks for MBA you want to buy. That'll give you a vague idea of what monumental is. :) 

• Reply 15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

I'd install http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/ on your current MBA, and compare results of that to their DB of benchmarks for MBA you want to buy. That'll give you a vague idea of what monumental is. :) 

I installed that today, coincidentally. I know the new 1.3Ghz model scored a 6062 on GeekBench and the new 1.7GHz CPU clocked in at around 7100. I think mine clocked in at 2391 (I didn't do the 64bit test). The Core i7 Haswell Air on the 64bit test came in at 8297.