Supply of Apple's Thunderbolt Display reportedly drying up for second time in 2013

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Third-party retailers are reporting stock-outs, or near stock-outs, of Apple's 27-inch Thunderbolt Display, once again fueling rumors that the company is preparing to release an upgraded Retina display model.

Thunderbolt Display

A number of resellers, including Adorama, Fry's, CDW and MicroCenter are all sold out of the Thunderbolt Display, reports MacTrast, while PowerMax MacConnection and others are running low on inventory.

The supposed stock-outs mirror an identical situation seen in February, when even larger companies like Amazon and J&R noted Apple's Thunderbolt Display was sold out. At the time, it was speculated that Apple would soon reveal a thinner version of the product more in line with the redesigned iMac.

While it is unclear whether Apple is indeed preparing a successor to the current Thunderbolt Display model, which hasn't been updated since its debut in 2011, a high-resolution wallpaper discovered on Apple's servers hints at possible refresh. The image in question is the blue-and-green wave background seen in Apple's OS X Mavericks promotional materials. At 5,120-by-2,880 pixels, the wallpaper has dimensions exactly twice that of the current Thunderbolt Display and 27-inch iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Wow, that's a spicy meatball! I would imagine that it would take a pretty beefy video card to drive a display at that resolution.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Only problem is that there isn't a display protocol that can handle 5120x2880, nor are any GPUs certified for that resolution either.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    dagamer34 wrote: »
    Only problem is that there isn't a display protocol that can handle 5120x2880, nor are any GPUs certified for that resolution either.

That might stop an off-the-shelf PC maker, but we are talking about Apple, Inc.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    27" Retina Thunderbolt display please! Thunderbolt 2 can hand it just fine, and the new Mac Pro has sufficient GPU for 3x 4k displays.

But I bet it will cost $8000, which is $50 more than it's worth to me.

Retina iMac? That will have to wait longer, I fear--due to price.

P.S. Make it all-black to match the Pro, AND for the love of Pete, make the keyboard and mouse black too! Why the white?? Apple hasn't made a white Mac in ages, yet the mouse and keyboard still have white!

Backlight the keyboard while you're at it.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Bring also a new wired numerical keyboard with built-in USB 3 as well as a 22 to 24-inch Thunderbolt display with Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.

• Reply 6 of 56
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

They pretty much have to come out with a new (different) monitor for the new Mac Pro anyway, so it makes sense to refresh the current one.  

Maybe they will have a "regular" for laptops and a "pro" for the Mac Pro. 

• Reply 7 of 56
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    They pretty much have to come out with a new (different) monitor for the new Mac Pro anyway, so it makes sense to refresh the current one.  

I hope so. I would like the option not to pay for a "retina" display, which at this point will cost a fortune. Also the pro one could be igzo and be thin like the iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Well one that looks like the new iMacs would be a good start. And some 4k monitors for the mac pro

While at it why not bigger ones that could be used like a TV.

• Reply 9 of 56
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

The thunderbolt display is fatter than the iMac and that makes no sense.

However... instead of something so thin that I could use to shave my beard, why not putting 2 f*cking 790GPU and 20 thunderbolt cables/ports/usb3/only god knows what more?

Now that would be nice and a 750m is enough for us, intel GPUs users.

Thanks in advance, ?.

• Reply 10 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Makes sense. For most people a retina 27" is totally overkill but for the lucky ones - WOW!
  • Reply 11 of 56
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I would like the option not to pay for a "retina" display, which at this point will cost a fortune.

Would it? I've seen 50" 4K TVs for $1100.

I think it would be a real coup to deliver a 27" 4K display for $999. It might eat some margin up front, but once again they would push people forward and make a new technology standard. It works for retina on the iPad.

• Reply 12 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    Wow, that's a spicy meatball! I would imagine that it would take a pretty beefy video card to drive a display at that resolution.

This will be timed to arrive with the new Mac Pro, which are ideal for this display.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    dagamer34 wrote: »

Read AMD's information they have for some of the FirePro cards that will likely be in the new Mac Pro. They specifically state the hardware is capable of operating beyond what the display Port standard can use. In this regard Apple and AMD would have to have worked together on signaling an protocol to allow TB to take on the role of Display Port.

People really need to read up on AMD's capabilities in their latest chip sets. They are more than ready for greater than 4K displays. Given of course that Apple selects the right chip set. This actually can help us narrow down which chips will be driving the GPU cards in Apples new Mac Pro
  • Reply 14 of 56
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

ThunderBolt 2 and that is coming with the MacPro. It can drive 3 4K monitors or it could do a 4K monitor AND a retina 27".

• Reply 15 of 56
    smileydudesmileydude Posts: 111member

I assume that there will be a Thunderbolt 2 monitor, but I'm really hoping for an update to the current one as well. Or perhaps one that can do both Thunderbolt 1 & 2, depending on what it's connected up to.  I currently have a 2012 mini, but want to get a monitor that will last me a few generations of machines.

As for Retina, just how close is everyone sitting to their 27" monitors these days?  I'm about 24" from my display, plus or minus a few inches depending on how I sit.  At that distance, the current 27" display looks Retina quality.  Anything over that resolution, and it's just going to kill most of the GPUs that today's Macs ship with.  Even if the GPU is capable of that resolution, it's still going to take a huge hit in performance.

• Reply 16 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    smileydude wrote: »
    ...I'm really hoping for an update to the current one as well. Or perhaps one that can do both Thunderbolt 1 & 2...

That will be the Thunderbolt 2 model. No sense in having an equivalent of older tech.
    I'm about 24" from my display, plus or minus a few inches depending on how I sit.  At that distance, the current 27" display looks Retina quality.

I sit the same distance and can just about count the pixels. Retina would do wonders.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    nsgarvnsgarv Posts: 7member
    My prediction: 4k displays are coming from Apple. They will reserve the "retina" brand for everything mobile, and adopt the 4k standard for iMac, Cinema Display, and Apple tv if it comes to life.

Can't wait for the 4k Cinema Display and the Thunderbolt 2 Haswell MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

If they split off a retina version, why discontinue the old one? I guess they could make it thinner.

• Reply 19 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Even if Retina isn't here yet, it needs to be updated with the better display from the new iMac, USB 3, and Thunderbolt 2.0.

That's more than enough of an update.

Throw in a 2TB HDD while keeping the already high price tag and I would complain either..
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Kill the flat "regular" display.
    Keep the Thunderbolt display $999

New Retina 27'' with the new slim design for $1499
    4K with black aluminum design to match the new Mac Pro $2499