Most popular Android app caught harvesting users contacts: Facebook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Funny how some posters are denying that this is screwed up....
    Facebook intentionally is hiding accessing contacts and getting numbers with out permission.
    No that is not a problem... It is ok... While they are at it why dont they try to access all your pass codes to banks and all.
    Android is not secure and Facebook took advantage of that and the enduser is compromised!
    On the other hand they were not able to pull that off on ios ....
    If u dont see the difference.. ..... Well as the say " there is no cure for ....."
  • Reply 22 of 73
    andrzejlsandrzejls Posts: 84member

Quote:

Originally Post by ktappe View Post

So how's that open platform thing workin' out for ya?

Read post #6 and stop trollling.

• Reply 23 of 73
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I'm tired of companies trying to get off when caught by claiming they have "deleted the information from its servers" because I bet dollars to donuts ALL that information is still contained in every single database backup they've made, and when those backups get restored or reused to populate a bid-data server for analysis, all that data that they have "deleted" is right there.
  • Reply 24 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

They're not "equally guilty." Android is far MORE guilty.

… ..e fact that iOS hasn't always been 100% perfect doesn't change that it's far better. That's like saying a vitamin tablet is equally as bad for you as a poison pill, because someone once choked on a vitamin tablet.

For instance: Facebook couldn't do this on iOS.

Really? Did you write code for Facebook for Android that you speak with such authority? If yes then...

• Reply 25 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregord View Post

Pagers? Was this article written in 1993?

FYI: Pagers were huge as late as 1999.

• Reply 26 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

Really? Did you write code for Facebook for Android that you speak with such authority? If yes then...

Go read the APIs differences between the models. I'll take iOS any day of the week.

• Reply 27 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojlance

07 View Post

Funny how some posters are denying that this is screwed up....

Facebook intentionally is hiding accessing contacts and getting numbers with out permission.

No that is not a problem... It is ok... While they are at it why dont they try to access all your pass codes to banks and all.

Android is not secure and Facebook took advantage of that and the enduser is compromised!

On the other hand they were not able to pull that off on ios ....

If u dont see the difference.. ..... Well as the say " there is no cure for ....."

I guess you failed to check out link in post #15. Please do your homework before you shut yourself in the foot,  will you?

• Reply 28 of 73
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Article is the equivalent of an Apple fanboy sticking his tongue out at Android fanboys. classy.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Enjoy having this link completely ignored by the "outraged" icabal. Such information can not penetrate the Apple bubble-sphere. 

• Reply 30 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Go read the APIs differences between the models. I'll take iOS any day of the week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

So am I,  but you did not address question on hand,  did you?

• Reply 31 of 73
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Yawn, I see the usual brigade are here with their denials and excuses.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    os2baba wrote: »
    Gizmodo... Blah, blah, blah

Really? You're citing Gizmodo as a reliable source? They've had a massive chip on their shoulder ever since the iPhone 4 incident. They bash Apple at the drop of hat. Not saying it may not be happening with iOS too, but Gizmodo's not what I would call impartial and objective.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

I'm seriously concerned about the emerging information economy. The longer practices like this are in place the more they are normalised, and and it becomes increasingly difficult to claw back. Currently we have software demanding carte blanch access to user information, even information that is not relevant to the provision of the service.

If companies exist to create profit we can't expect them to be more ethical than the framework we set for them. Regardless of whether they want t, in order to remain competitive they have to play this game. The responsibility to legislate a minimum acceptable standard falls to us.

The only thing software should demand from a user in order to function is a cash fee. It has no right to hold us to ransom over a real name, contact information or anything else (if the user declines).

• Reply 34 of 73
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

That's like saying a vitamin tablet is equally as bad for you as a poison pill, because someone once choked on a vitamin tablet.

"All substances are poisons. There is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy."

Paracelsus: 1493 - 1541

• Reply 35 of 73
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

They're not hiding it.  Here's the list of permissions that you are presented with and have to allow the FB app in order to install it.  BTW, a list this long is relatively unheard of for an android app.

Permissions

This application has access to the following:

• Your accounts

create accounts and set passwords

Allows the app to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.

add or remove accounts

Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.

• Your location

approximate location (network-based)

Allows the app to get your approximate location. This location is derived by location services using network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi. These location services must be turned on and available to your device for the app to use them. Apps may use this to determine approximately where you are.

precise location (GPS and network-based)

Allows the app to get your precise location using the Global Positioning System (GPS) or network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi. These location services must be turned on and available to your device for the app to use them. Apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.

• Network communication

full network access

Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.

• Phone calls

directly call phone numbers

Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Note that this doesn't allow the app to call emergency numbers. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.

read phone status and identity

Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.

• Storage

modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Allows the app to write to the USB storage.

• System tools

install shortcuts

Allows an app to add shortcuts without user intervention.

read battery statistics

Allows an application to read the current low-level battery use data. May allow the application to find out detailed information about which apps you use.

• Your applications information

retrieve running apps

Allows the app to retrieve information about currently and recently running tasks. This may allow the app to discover information about which applications are used on the device.

• Camera

take pictures and videos

Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.

• Other Application UI

draw over other apps

Allows the app to draw on top of other applications or parts of the user interface. They may interfere with your use of the interface in any application, or change what you think you are seeing in other applications.

• Microphone

record audio

record audio

• Your social information

write call log

Allows the app to modify your device's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your call log.

read your contacts

Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your device, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.

modify your contacts

Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your device, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data.

read call log

Allows the app to read your device's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.

• Your accounts

find accounts on the device

Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the device. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.

• Network communication

view Wi-Fi connections

Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.

view network connections

Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.

receive data from Internet

Allows apps to accept cloud to device messages sent by the app's service. Using this service will incur data usage. Malicious apps could cause excess data usage.

download files without notification

Allows the app to download files through the download manager without any notification being shown to the user.

• System tools

test access to protected storage

Allows the app to test a permission for USB storage that will be available on future devices.

read Home settings and shortcuts

Allows the app to read the settings and shortcuts in Home.

• Affects Battery

prevent device from sleeping

Allows the app to prevent the device from going to sleep.

control vibration

Allows the app to control the vibrator.

• Your applications information

run at startup

Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the device and allow the app to slow down the overall device by always running.

reorder running apps

Allows the app to move tasks to the foreground and background. The app may do this without your input.

• Audio Settings

change your audio settings

Allows the app to modify global audio settings such as volume and which speaker is used for output.

• Sync Settings

toggle sync on and off

Allows an app to modify the sync settings for an account. For example, this can be used to enable sync of the People app with an account.

read sync settings

Allows the app to read the sync settings for an account. For example, this can determine whether the People app is synced with an account.

• Reply 36 of 73
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

They're not hiding it.  Here's the list of permissions that you are presented with and have to allow the FB app in order to install it.  BTW, a list this long is relatively unheard of for an android app.

[snip]

I don't use FB, and have no interest in doing so.  But can someone, anyone explain to me why 90% of this stuff would be necessary for a FB app?

• Reply 37 of 73
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Mostly agree, except for the solution (which I also agree with in principle, but…).

You could just not install the FB app for Android. Or any others like it. Not much left to do with Android after that I'm guessing, but hey...

I just log into FB through Chrome.  The permissions required are clearly listed before the app is installed.  Not all developers are this invasive, and there's a plethora of apps which are much more privacy friendly.  So, I guess your guess is not very accurate.

• Reply 38 of 73
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I don't use FB, and have no interest in doing so.  But can someone, anyone explain to me why 90% of this stuff would be necessary for a FB app?

It's not necessary, FB just wants user data and knows that there's a lot of dumb people out there that will not pay attention to the massive list of required permissions.  As evidenced by the few responses here, it is clear though that many of us know better and actively avoid these invasive apps.

• Reply 39 of 73
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

It's not necessary, FB just wants user data and knows that there's a lot of dumb people out there that will not pay attention to the massive list of required permissions.  As evidenced by the few responses here, it is clear though that many of us know better and actively avoid these invasive apps.

Basically what I thought, but wanted to know if I missed anything.  Heh.

• Reply 40 of 73
    mrrodriguezmrrodriguez Posts: 215member
    I use a permission manager that I can choose what an app can and can't have access to. Google should bake it into Android to avoid this sort of problems. It'll also fix some malware problems.