how do I share my ethernet network over airport?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I just have dropped a airport card into my G4 tower, hoping that i can use it as a base station - sharing oue ethernet network and broadband connection. I can get on the net from my ibook but I can't see any other macs (apart from the G4 tower). Please help.

Jon-e-orange

--

main toy: ibook 800/30gb/384/airport

second toy: my gf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    well, it certainly helps if you tell us what operating system you're using.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    oops sorry all of our macs at work are running jaguar (10.2.2). With the exception of our ISDN mac which is a beige G3 running OS 9.2 (i think).

Hope that helps you help thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    from apple's help documents under "share airport"

[quote]If your computer is connected to the Internet, you can share its connection with other computers on your local network.

For example, if your computer is connected to the Internet using a DSL modem and has an AirPort Card installed, you can share the DSL connection with other AirPort-equipped computers.

Important: If your Internet connection and your local network use the same port (built-in Ethernet, for example), investigate possible side effects before you turn on Internet sharing. In some cases (if you use a cable modem, for example) you might unintentionally affect the network settings of other ISP customers, and your ISP might terminate your service to prevent you from disrupting their network.<hr></blockquote>

follow those (or type it in to your help docs to get the links in the help file as well. that should walk you through it.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 4 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding your situation completely jon-e, but it sounds to me like you need an ethernet switch more than you need a airport network.

The way I share my broadband connection between all comps is to hook my broadband connection into the 'uplink' port of my switch, then hook all my comps via ethernet to the other ports in the switch. This allows all comps to see each other via enet (for small file transfers) and also for everyone to use the same internet connection.

Also, I'm not sure that by installing an airport card into your tower you've turned that into a base station. For internet sharing via airport I think you might need a proper Apple base station (UFO) hooked into your broadband connection.

Hope that helps.

G.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    no, you can turn any mac with an airport card into a base station.

he only needs to follow the instructions above to do this. it's relatively simple actually.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Interesting. I didn't know that was possible. So an Apple base station (UFO) is only useful if you don't want to turn one of your comps into a base station? Interesting.

Then the rest of jon-e's comps will also need airport cards installed to access the wireless network I take it.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by 709:

<strong>Interesting. I didn't know that was possible. So an Apple base station (UFO) is only useful if you don't want to turn one of your comps into a base station? Interesting.

Then the rest of jon-e's comps will also need airport cards installed to access the wireless network I take it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yup. All you need is a computer that you're willing to leave on all the time. Supposedly there's some sort of performance hit, but I've never seen it on my family's 400mhz iMac. It works great. Saved a couple hundred $$ for my brother when he was setting up the network by suggesting it.

The drawback is that you need all airport (or 802.11b/g) capable computers to use it. Not a big drawback since there are cheap usb/wifi adapters for older computers. Airport rocks.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, it's not a big deal if you have something like the new iMacs that are unobstrusive and virtually silent to leave one on all the time.

the new towers? you wouldn't want those suckers on all the time.

i've set a few of them up, they're really easy and work well. like torifile, i've never seen a performance hit while it was running.

you will need cards in every machine, but you'd need those no matter what if you were using wireless and a basestation, so it's not like you're spending more money.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Thanks guys for the info, but I don't know if I explained things quite right. I have managed so share the broadband internet from my desktop G4.

The issue is we have 3 desktop macs and 2 laptops.

all the towers are conected via ethernet with 1 machine has an airport card (call this mac A).

I need to be able to get files from the non-airport macs (B & C) via airport (because I move around the office)

is this possible? if I can share the internet conection surely I can connect to the macs b & c?

cheers
  • Reply 10 of 12
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    When I set my iMac up as a base station for my powerbook I tried alot of things. In the end I turned on apple talk and was able to see the imac from the powerbook in the finder-&gt;go-&gt;connect to server, but I don't see anything in my network window. I think its because the imac has a real ip and the powerbook has a 10.0.0.1 ip.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Not to cloud the issue here but I haven't been able to get file sharing over airport to work between two lap tops. One OS 9 and the other OS X. I think Apple's "ease of use" is out the window when it comes to OS X and networking.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Thanks for hte help guys I spoke to apple support and after a lot of confusion they say it can't be done and that I have to tell my boss to buy a base station - Doh! there goes my rise LOL.