Apple's iPhone accounted for 51% of all smartphone activations at Verizon in Q2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More than half of all smartphone activations in the second quarter at Verizon, the largest wireless provider in the U.S., were accounted for by Apple's iPhone, the carrier announced in its earnings on Thursday.

Verizon

Verizon activated a total of 7.5 million smartphones in the quarter, with about 27 percent of those new to the carrier. During a conference call with investors and members of the media, Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo revealed that 3.8 million of those smartphones were Apple's iPhone.

In comparison, Verizon activated just 2.7 million iPhones in the same quarter a year ago. That means iPhone activations grew 41 percent year over year at Verizon.

The numbers also show that Apple's share of Verizon's smartphone activations continues to grow. A year ago, the iPhone accounted for less than half of all Verizon activations, as the carrier saw 2.9 million Android-based devices added to its network.

Apple also managed to maintain more than half of all smartphones activated at Verizon during the quarter despite the fact that Samsung launched its latest flagship handset, the Galaxy S4. Verizon did not provide a breakdown of exactly how many of the remaining 3.7 million smartphones were Android devices.

verizon

Verizon also didn't say how many of the iPhones activated last quarter were Apple's latest iPhone 5 versus the legacy iPhone 4S and iPhone 4. But the carrier did disclose that it activated 6.4 million 4G LTE devices during the quarter, including Apple's latest iPhone and iPad models.

For the quarter, Verizon's wireless business saw revenues grow 7.5 percent year over year to $20 billion. Total net retail connections were up by 1 million.

"Verizon?s consistent strategic investments in wireless, FIOS and global networks drove strong financial performance in the first half of 2013,? said Verizon Chairman and CEO Lowell McAdam. "Having posted double-digit earnings growth in five of the last six quarters, we are focused on continuing to provide the best portfolio of products on the most reliable networks; capturing incremental revenue growth in broadband, video and cloud services; and sustaining our earnings and cash-flow momentum."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Lets see, even though activations grew 41% YOY the analysts will focus on the drop from last quarter. When it comes to Apple seasonality never seems to matter.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    And get ready for the lower cost iPhone, 4S at $0, 5 at $99, and the 5S launch. In addition, the repeat purchases from the initial launch of the iPhone on Verizon

I see a real chance for Apple's share at Verizon to hit 60% in next 6 months
  • Reply 3 of 52
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

I wonder how they count those 'activations' if you activate a phone, return it, and activate a second phone.

• Reply 4 of 52
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    And just wait until iOS 7 drops, plus all the new hardware coming out in the fall, like new iPhone, new iPads, etc.

I think that a lot of people that have been under contract with a crappy Android phone are eventually going to want to upgrade to something better, so that they can get out of the gutter, when their contracts expire.

These VeriZn iPhone numbers are pretty impressive.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    So iPhone growth at big red amongst rumors that they aren't selling as many as expected/committed?

Either the talk of Verizon potentially needing to pay Apple $14 million is true and it motivated them to start actually pushing the iPhone, or they just decided to start pushing it, or customers are finally realizing that they want the iPhone and aren't accepting and android as just like an iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Wall Street consensus was 3.5M, Apple came in at 3.9M. Wonder if this indicates a better quarter than people think?
  • Reply 7 of 52
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    And then Apple should come out with the "iPhone +" next Spring. 4.8"

Game. Set. Match
  • Reply 8 of 52
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I wonder how they count those 'activations' if you activate a phone, return it, and activate a second phone.

I would think that multiple activations on the same number would be discounted.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

They didnt disclose the iphone numbers at first, they waited for someone to ask on the call. Very good number indeed, iphone sales looks healty in the US at least.

• Reply 10 of 52
    apple ][ wrote: »
    And just wait until iOS 7 drops, plus all the new hardware coming out in the fall, like new iPhone, new iPads, etc.

I think that a lot of people that have been under contract with a crappy Android phone are eventually going to want to upgrade to something better, so that they can get out of the gutter, when their contracts expire.

These VeriZn iPhone numbers are pretty impressive.

It's been over 2 years since VZW got the iPhone, so most that were 'stuck' with a Android phone should've been able to upgrade by now.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Despite some stories to the contrary, tales of Apple's demise have been greatly exaggerated! Now let's add the 5S (or whatever it will be called) and an entry level, lower priced option for emerging markets, and let's see how many iPhones fly off the shelves in the next few quarters!AAPL stock will be back over $550 by November....count on it!
  • Reply 12 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Wall Street consensus was 3.5M, Apple came in at 3.9M. Wonder if this indicates a better quarter than people think?

Its half of the story, this confirms the iphones is still doing well in the US. Problem is every sales stats outside the US all points to lower iphone sales YoY. When the US does good, Canada and UK also do good.  Those 3 are a nice chunk of the total sales, we may even out on average.  Last year number and this quarter consensus is 26 millions.

We are still a long way down, in past years people were wondering if the iphones beated by 30% or 50%, today people are worried they wont make last year numbers.

• Reply 13 of 52
    red oak wrote: »
    And then Apple should come out with the "iPhone +" next Spring. 4.8"

Game. Set. Match

I wouldn't be too sure of that. This is a conversation I overheard in a department store 2 days ago.

Young man: "what phone do you have?"

Young lady: "I have the iPhone"

Young man: "ewwww, really?"

Young lady: "yeah, I know, but I'm saving to get the SGS 4"

Inthe minds of many people Samsung phones are the better choice. Whether you like them or not you have to admit that they've done a great job of increasing mind share.
  • Reply 14 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I see a real chance for Apple's share at Verizon to hit 60% in next 6 months

They were 63% in 2012Q4 - so yea - predicting 60% this Q4 is not much of a stretch.

• Reply 14 of 52
    herbapou wrote: »
    Its half of the story, this confirms the iphones is still doing well in the US. Problem is every sales stats outside the US all points to lower iphone sales YoY. When the US does good, Canada and UK also do good.  Those 3 are a nice chunk of the total sales, we may even out on average.  Last year number and this quarter consensus is 26 millions.

We are still a long way down, in past years people were wondering if the iphones beated by 30% or 50%, today people are worried they wont make last year numbers.
    To expect those kind of growth rates to continue is ridiculous. Apple beat the consensus for Verizon sales, and was up 41% YOY. That's positive. Especially when all these analysts are out there saying the smartphone market (especially high end) is saturated.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Only 51%?? Apple is DOOMED

• Reply 17 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I wouldn't be too sure of that. This is a conversation I overheard in a department store 2 days ago.

Young man: "what phone do you have?"

Young lady: "I have the iPhone"

Young man: "ewwww, really?"

Young lady: "yeah, I know, but I'm saving to get the SGS 4"

Inthe minds of many people Samsung phones are the better choice. Whether you like them or not you have to admit that they've done a great job of increasing mind share.

imo that only because there are lots of folks who wants a bigger screen and Apple doesnt have one. Seriously, Samsung didnt innovate much other than making bigger screens. They did incremental upgrades of internal and a bigger screen. Granted they beat the iphone 5 on all metrics indeed, but I am not so sure they can come out with something really new like Apple does. Well Samsung did a pen, not sure its really usefull.

On the other hand, Apple could come out with something out of the blue. fingerprint scan combine with mobile payment and maybe an association with Visa or banks could revamp that market. The EU and Canada are now using chips on ATM card and credit cards, the US is behind but could leap with something like this.

• Reply 18 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Statcounter suggests Europe is down, Australia, NZ is down.  China market share is stable.  iOS rising in Russia, Brazil, Japan.  So - not falling everywhere.  Not even close.

• Reply 19 of 52
    herbapou wrote: »
    imo that only because there are lots of folks who wants a bigger screen and Apple doesnt have one. Seriously, Samsung didnt innovate much other than making bigger screens. They did incremental upgrades of internal and a bigger screen. Granted they beat the iphone 5 on all metrics indeed, but I am not so sure they can come out with something really new like Apple does. Well Samsung did a pen, not sure its really usefull.

It's definitely one of the reasons. When I first saw the Note 2 I thought it was too big and that nobody was going to buy them yet to my amazement many have.
  • Reply 20 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianloftus View Post

Statcounter suggests Europe is down, Australia, NZ is down.  China market share is stable.  iOS rising in Russia, Brazil, Japan.  So - not falling everywhere.  Not even close.

Well forget Russia, all of the carriers have drop the iphone, thanks to Apple totalitarianism ways of doing business with the carriers. I complety agrees with the carriers, if I was them I would so tell apple to go take a hike.

iphones sales are down in Japan... were are you getting youre info?

iphones sales not doing good in brazil either, price is too high.