Trying to connect to the internet...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, here's the deal for all you geniuses:

My first Mac arrived on Valentines day. It's a beautiful little minibook, which runs OS X (of course). Since friday, I have been attempting to connect to the internet through my DSL line without success. Right now, I'm using my PC to type this. What I have done is hook the DSL modem into the wall, and then use the ethernet cable that the comes with the modem to connect it into the minibook. I simply can't get it to work from that point, and even though Macs are really easy to use, I'm a bit confused. :confused: I guess I'm just having another blonde moment. If anyone can offer any help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    When you signed up for your dsl did they supply the eithernet card in your pc? Before I moved the DSL I had was tied to the NIC address of the card in my PC, this is the DSL providers attempt to keep you from running more than one computer at a time. What you can do is go pick up a linksys etherfast cable/dsl router, You can tell the router to use any NIC you want, including the one thats in your PC. If you are not going to be using the PC at all anymore you might want to call your DSL provider and tell them you got a new computer and ask them if there is anything special you have to do to make it work.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thank you very much for your help. I'll do that as soon as I can. It will be so nice to work on a computer that doesn't reliably crash.