Latest Apple TV beta brings iTunes music purchasing to the living room

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A closer look at the Apple TV beta software released on Monday shows Apple is looking to bring iTunes music purchasing functionality back to its set-top streamer, allowing iTunes users yet another place to preview and buy songs.

ATV

iTunes purchasing in the current Apple TV software is limited to movie and television shows, but the latest beta suggests music buying will be an added feature when Apple releases the next version later this year.

As seen above, the Music app now directs to an interface much like the iTunes Store as seen on OS X, complete with scrollable panes and category menus. Previously, selecting Music would open a user's iTunes library.

ATV

With the beta, users can preview songs, browse artists, and make single track or album purchases. Much of the functionality from the OS X version of the store is brought over to the big screen, though some tweaks were made to the user interface. For example, buying a song will bring up a verification pop-up before allowing users to proceed.

Interestingly, clicking on an album from the main menu automatically selects the featured track or current single for that title, making it easier to navigate when using the supplied remote control. For example, choosing Mackelmore's "The Heist" brings up a track list with the song "Same Love" already highlighted and ready for preview.

ATV

Purchases can be played on the Apple TV, or downloaded onto another device, identical to how iTunes operates on both OS X and iOS. Recent buys are automatically updated as the Apple TV syncs directly to iTunes rather than storing songs on-site.

Free "Singles of the Week" are also available, with a "Free" button replacing the graphic containing the usual per-song price. The purchasing process for these tracks is the same as a regularly priced title.

ATV

Apple is expected to release the next Apple TV software version later this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Chipping away at the hobby.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Sounds like a smart idea.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I'd still rather they made a half decent interface for the thing than keep adding these incremental features.  It's ugly and difficult to use.  

Getting rid of the bugs and performance issues should have higher priority as well. 

• Reply 4 of 19
    How about adding two USEFUL things:

1. External Storage for content via USB
    2. EyeTV in combination with above.

• Reply 5 of 19
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    #1 useful thing to add: more channels.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    msuberly wrote: »
    #1 useful thing to add: more channels.

Duh.

Alert the media.
  • Reply 7 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

How about adding two USEFUL things:

1. External Storage for content via USB

2. EyeTV in combination with above.

Why would external storage be useful? Everything can be airplayed from iTunes on the computer, that seems much more useful to me. 

What they really need to be working on is content deals/channels/apps.....which I'm sure they already are.

• Reply 8 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Does a lack of "or on other devices" mean content purchased via Apple TV is subject to DRM?

• Reply 9 of 19
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

#1 useful thing to add: more channels Apps and a dedicated gaming controller.

Fixed that for you.

Netflix is not available in my region so I use exactly...let's see, carry the one...NONE of the channels!

My Apple TV is only useful for airplay streaming ABC iView from my iPad (works well enough that I've basically stopped watching live TV).

• Reply 10 of 19
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

I find the UI pretty terrible on the ATV. And using a remote is very "old tech". I´m sure they got a way better interface hidden away ready for a major launch of a television set and updated ATVs. Maybe voice? The IR remote has to die.

• Reply 11 of 19
    [quote name="Dunks" url="/t/158769/latest-apple-tv-beta-brings-itunes-music-purchasing-to-the-living-room#post_2370505"]
    Netflix is not available in my region so I use exactly...let's see, carry the one...NONE of the channels![/quote

No Netflix? Where do you live. Even we have Nutflix, as I like to call it for fun!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hydr wrote: »
    I find the UI pretty terrible on the ATV. And using a remote is very "old tech". I´m sure they got a way better interface hidden away ready for a major launch of a television set and updated ATVs. Maybe voice? The IR remote has to die.

The best interface of all would be a very similar Apple Remote 'with Bluetooth'. Don't over think it. That's the solution. And eventually with regards games and apps, a separate games controller (which they are leaving to third parties for now).
  • Reply 13 of 19
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

The real question is how come that feature was not there from the start... 

• Reply 14 of 19
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    "Maybe voice? The IR remote has to die."

Only if they aren't bright enough to put the mike in the remote. I ain't about to start hollering across the room at the TV - or watch it change channels if the dog barks.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member
    This functionality was also needed with iTunes Radio, which will be on ATV as well. Thus, allowing you to purchase any songs you may be currently listening to. Not sure though is in the example above, if it is showing you the popular song, when clicking on an album or more that when you listen to iTunes Radio and its showing you the artist, album and song, currently playing, that it will bring you this same view. i.e. the artists album with the current playing song highlighted.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Yeap, Apple is testing the waters. Their TV will be coming some time in the future, I can smell it...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    eckergus wrote: »
    Yeap, Apple is testing the waters. Their TV will be coming some time in the future, I can smell it…

Smells like tiny little box you plug into anyone else's TV.
  • Reply 18 of 19

Since they'll most likely add iTunes Radio in an future update, a service designed to have users discover and purchase music, this makes total sense.