Apple releases Xcode 5 Developer Preview 5 with minor improvements

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Alongside Tuesday's seed of Apple's iOS 7 beta, the company also pushed out the latest Xcode 5 Developer Preview, the fifth such release for the coding tool.

Xcode 5

As with the previous Xcode 5 release, the fifth Developer Preview comes with the usual fixes and performance buffs, though bugs still remain ahead of the software's public debut.

According to people familiar with the fifth Xcode 5 preview, Apple has done work on a new navigator and test categories for Testing, bot creation and management in Continuous Integration, as well as real-time CPU, energy use, iCloud and OpenGL data in Debugger.

In addition, Interface Builder gets iOS 7 support, while Source Control and Version Editor introduces a new workflow design. Finally, Compiler receives a new Auto Vectorizer tool. Xcode 5's user interface and experience has also been slightly tweaked.

Developers can download the current preview, with a more complete list of new assets, from Apple's Development Center.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Developers Unite!!! Uncover secret source code for future Apple hardware, Go!!!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I would not describe these changes as "minor improvements"
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

XCode 5 is a major release.

• Reply 4 of 9
    Question: do you need to be a member of the Mac developer program and/or the iOS developer program?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Yes you do
  • Reply 6 of 9
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    red oak wrote: »
    I would not describe these changes as "minor improvements"

Meybe they mean minor over the Xcode 5, preview 4
    Question: do you need to be a member of the Mac developer program and/or the iOS developer program?

You do need to have a membership, but there's no need to pay the yearly $99 subscription fee; that's needed when you want to upload your app.

Link doesn't work in the article:
    https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

You can download 4.6.3 here:
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/xcode/id497799835?l=en&mt=12
  • Reply 7 of 9
    epsicoepsico Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossistboss View Post

For Xcode 5 DP, yes; for Xcode 4, no.  Even if someone downloads Xcode 5 DP for you, you'll still need licenses to download the documentation (Mac and iOS) and the simulators (iOS only), so either stick with Xcode 4 or get at least one developer license.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Even though it's still in Beta 5, I downloaded it, and I am not a fan of the icon look and feel. Has that Visual Studio 2012 matte finish I do not like.

I sincerely hope they put more polish on the look and feel.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I doubt it. It's pretty much final at this point. I kinda liked the translucency in the messages app but now it's all removed. I hate the fat search iPhone drop down text box. In beta three it was smaller and more elegant.