Apple outages affect App Store, iTunes & FaceTime for hours

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Lingering issues with Apple's Internet-based services caused its company's digital storefronts and FaceTime video chat to be unavailable for some users for hours on Wednesday.

Status

As of around 3:45 p.m. Eastern Wednesday afternoon, FaceTime issues remain, with some users unable to place calls through the service. The outage has persisted since just before 1 p.m. local time.

Earlier in the day, Apple's digital storefronts were down for about two and a half hours. During that period, some users may have been unable to make purchases from the App Store, iTunes Store, Mac App Store, or iBookstore.

In addition, the storefront outage may have affected users attempting to download previously purchased content, use iTunes Match, or restore apps and music from an iCloud backup.

The status of Apple's various services and stores can be tracked through the company's official system status page, which gives a live overview of the availability of those products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    No problems at my end, but... "Oh dear, not again!"
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I couldn't make a regular call on my AT&T iPhone for an hour. Wanna write an article about that AI?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I can only think that its because they might be using Linux servers.   I just to had to say something...

Actually, it's good that Apple has the guts to have this type of site that we can check the status in the first place.  Not everyone alerts the customers to what the status is in the first place.

• Reply 4 of 12
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Facetime is still isn't working. Probably due to the millions of FaceTime calls going on right now because of Eid.

• Reply 5 of 12
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member

"It just works!"

:-/

• Reply 6 of 12
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Facetime is still isn't working. Probably due to the millions of FaceTime calls going on right now because of Eid.

The site says that it affects some people, but not all.  I guess you are amongst the "some people" group. I'm sure it will be back up and running soon. Apple's pretty good about getting back on line.

• Reply 7 of 12
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    I couldn't watch previously purchased movies on my Apple TV and couldn't update apps on my phone. They do need to focus on uptime a little more. I need to download a movie or two to an iDevice so I can Airplay it in a pinch.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    They don't always say "we are having technical difficulties". They usually say simply that some users are "unable to" access or fully use certain services.

It could just as well be planned downtime, upgrading servers, maintenance, who knows.

If they said "We are doing maintenance, be back soon" it might be better, but then those few users might feel singled out.

Hard to say what's up. They've been adding a huge amount of capacity in multiple locations. I expected there would be some downtime while they load balance and get everything integrated.

All in all I'd say they're doing a pretty spectacular job, considering they have what, 250 million active accounts using these services? More?
  • Reply 9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Actually, it's good that Apple has the guts to have this type of site that we can check the status in the first place.  Not everyone alerts the customers to what the status is in the first place.

image How long has this site been around???? Why am I always the last person to discover these things...

Anyway, thanx for the heads up, it is now prominently featured in my bookmarks page! image

• Reply 10 of 12
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The site says that it affects some people, but not all.  I guess you are amongst the "some people" group. I'm sure it will be back up and running soon. Apple's pretty good about getting back on line.

Mine worked when I FaceTime people in the US not people in other parts of the world. It rings but when they answered it shows "Connecting" then "Failed". I switched to Tango (video) and it was bad. Tonight most of the Islamic nations getting reading for Eid tomorrow so Apple and Tango servers are probably being hammered.

• Reply 11 of 12
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I wish they would changed the green squares to blue.

The contrast between pastel green and pastel orange is ridiculously low. Deuteranomaly is the most common vision deficiency, affecting 6% of the male population. This colour selection literally maximises the number of users who cannot perceive it. I know they use shapes as well but rounded squares and triangles are not that easy to distinguish at a glance.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I couldn't make a regular call on my AT&T iPhone for an hour. Wanna write an article about that AI?

idiot, this is appleinsider, not at&tinsider

more to the point, why is ai still silent on thre gaping hole in ios app security, you'd think that instead of whining about non-apple things they might spare a moment about something relevant

but then ai is all about using flamebait to drive ad revenue, they don't want to upset the zealots