How do I transfer iTunes and iPhoto from my iBook to my new iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Using target mode I can only transfer the apps, the contents (music and photos) don't transfer. What am I doing wrong? (I had no problem transfering individual files).

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    I guess you are trying to transfer the iTunes contents from your Home | Music | iTunes folder and the iPhoto contents from your Home | Pictures | iPhoto Library folder (or where ever they are located)?

If you can't copy the folders, can you select all the files in the folders and copy them across?

What do you mean exactly by the contents don't transfer?

Do the files transfer but you don't see the contents in the apps?

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    RodUK,

When I originally just transfered the iTunes and iPhoto files they simply didn't include the contents, just the apps. I tried transfering the iTunes Library folder but again it didn't appear in the iTunes app on my iMac. Thanks for your comments.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    In iTunes on your iBook, if you select the Preferences option from the iTunes menu and click on the Advanced tab, you can see where the iTunes folder is located on your iBook.

You need to copy this folder, which by default is the iTunes folder in your Home | Music folder, including the Music Library data file and the iTunes Music sub folder which contains the MP3 files, to your iMac.

In iTunes on your iMac, you can then look at the Advanced tab of the Preferences and make sure it's picking up the iTunes folder from the place you copied it to.

If that doesn't work, you could just copy the MP3 files across and add them to the iTunes library on your iMac, by selecting the Add to Library option from the iTunes File menu.

The above assumes you're using iTunes 3, though I think 1 and 2 are very similar.

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks RodUK that did the trick.