Dallas Cowboys star sees birth of son thanks to Apple's FaceTime

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
When his son Austin was born on Monday, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr wasn't able to be there in person, so he turned to Apple's FaceTime video chat as the next-best option.

FaceTime

Carr landed with his team in Los Angeles, Calif., on Monday, only to learn that his fiancee was in labor, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. As he rushed back to the airport to fly home to his partner in Dallas, Austin was born.

But the 27-year-old football star said he was able to witness the birth of his first son as it happened, and be there virtually for his significant other, thanks to Apple's FaceTime via his iPhone.

"I saw everything I needed to see," he said. "I saw it all. Technology is wonderful these days. Sometimes you can't control what's going to happen. You've just got to go with the flow. I made the most of it."

The Cowboys cornerback spent two days away from the team with his wife and newborn son in Dallas. Thursday, he returned to practice with the Cowboys, who are gearing up for the National Football League's preseason.

In 2012, Carr signed one of the biggest contracts in the league for a cornerback, agreeing to a five-year, $50.1 million deal with the Cowboys. Last year, he recorded 53 tackles and 3 interceptions.

Just this week, Apple introduced a new advertisement touting the fact that "everyday, more people connect face-to-face on the iPhone than any other phone." The minute-long television spot shows people using the video chat feature in a number of unique ways, including blowing a kiss, communicating via sign language, or sending live video from a remote location.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wonder how MS & Samsung are going to copy this¿
  • Reply 2 of 63
  • Reply 3 of 63

Carr landed with his team in Los Angeles, Calif., on Monday, only to learn that his fiancee was in labor, <a href="http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/08/brandon-carr-returns-to-camp-after-flying-home-to-welcome-his-first-son-austin.html">according to</a> the <em>Fort Worth Star-Telegram</em>. As he rushed back to the airport to fly home to his wife in Dallas, Austin was born.

But the 27-year-old football star said he was able to witness the birth of his first son as it happened, and be there virtually for his wife, thanks to Apple's FaceTime via his iPhone.

"I saw everything I needed to see," he said. "I saw it all. Technology is wonderful these days. Sometimes you can't control what's going to happen. You've just got to go with the flow. I made the most of it."

Mmm... Sounds like it will be interesting when they all get together...

...Wonder if the NSA was watching too?
  • Reply 4 of 63
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    oreilly wrote: »

Careful now, you don't want to be enhyphened by a mod.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's not IF, it's WHEN.

• Reply 6 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The app is iGyno I believe. :D
  • Reply 7 of 63
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Apple invented video chat now, too?

• Reply 8 of 63
    The app is iGyno I believe. :D

LOL

This certainly raises a whole 'nother set of opportunities for Candidate Weiner... Steady there, big fella :D
  • Reply 9 of 63
    bondm16bondm16 Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's not IF, it's WHEN.

Copy what? Facetime? you mean video calling which has existed for years before the iPhone and all smartphones, iOS and Android can run Skype.

• Reply 10 of 63
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Go Cowboys!
  • Reply 11 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Nope, dont think so. In 2004, Nokia released a phone capable of something truly innovative. The Nokia 6630 became Nokia’s first video calling mobile phone, and while at this point in Nokia’s history the video calling was only achieved through the main camera at the back, it was the Nokia 6680 that launched in 2005 that made video calling more user-friendly.

• Reply 12 of 63
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Don't show Tony Romo this.  He has enough trouble with interceptions.

• Reply 13 of 63

Quote:

Ballmer is requiring all his employees to get busy in the bedroom so they can start shooting the Microsoft Skype commercial in 9 months.

• Reply 14 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Ballmer is requiring all his employees to get busy in the bedroom so they can start shooting the Microsoft Skype commercial in 9 months.

• Reply 15 of 63
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    droidftw wrote: »

bondm16 wrote: »
    Copy what? Facetime? you mean video calling which has existed for years before the iPhone and all smartphones, iOS and Android can run Skype.

I'm pretty sure they meant copy the situation for their commercials.
  • Reply 16 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm pretty sure they meant copy the situation for their commercials.

Oops sorry my bad. image

• Reply 17 of 63
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Wonder who was filming?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Microsoft paid $8.5 billion to acquire Skype.

Google doesn't provide any telephony/IP bridging solution for Android, but Android licensees are now paying $$$ for Microsoft patents, so their users might as well use Skype.

Never mind that Skype is not free/open software but instead a proprietary black box. Android fans only care about open on occasion. (see also Adobe Flash, Google apps)
  • Reply 19 of 63
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Google doesn't provide any telephony/IP bridging solution for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.talk&referrer=utm_source%3Den-us-landingpage%26utm_medium%3DCTA%26utm_term%3D%26utm_campaign%3Dlandingpage

• Reply 20 of 63
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Pretty cool.

But, um… He started out rushing to the airport to get home to his "fiancee", and landed to spend time with his "wife"… is there also a FaceTime wedding they overlooked here, or…? image