Trouble using Firefox on OS X Tiger

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Hello!

I am completely new to the Mac OS X environment (but not to Unix / Linux OS's), and I am currently having a bit of difficulty with adding addons to my installed copy of Firefox 3.6 (the last version of FF that will run on OS X Tiger for PowerPC, apparently...).

I have performed all of the usual steps when installing addons for Firefox, and I know that the addons I'm trying to add to it are for that particular version of FF, but when I finish downloading them, and try to install them to FF, I get the following message:

"Error:

Firefox could not install the file at [addons-website-url]

because: Download error

-228"

I am particularly trying to install Download Statusbar, as I love that addon, and never use FF without it :-D

Now, this occurs for ANY addon I try to install (again, all of the addons I'm trying to add have been checked for compatibility with my version of FF...), and I HAVE a connection to the internet (obviously...); so, I am really at a loss here!

I installed this particular copy of Firefox on my Mac myself, using the same account I always use, so I can't see it being a Unix-like "permissions" thing?

I have done some google searching, but to no avail so far (and I know that OS X Tiger is ancient, so it's kind of no-wonder... :-D ).

Any old-time OS X Tiger user's out there familiar with this particular problem?

Thanks for any and all help in advance...

ZT.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Holy crap 10.4 ! Long time ago now ...

Off the top of my head I would suspect that the plugins have been rewritten and just don't support that v of FF on PPC anymore.

Ive got 10.5.8 on a G4 PB available which I can test with ff and the plugins - wont get to it for a few hours tho.
    I'll give it a go later on and report back if you don't get it sorted in the meantime.
    cheers
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Firefox 3.6 is much too old to be called obsolete. It is positively antediluvian. It would probably be a miracle if any current extensions were compatible with it. If you want to run Firefox on your ox-drawn computer, then you need TenFourFox. I run TenFourFoxG5 for my Power Mac G5s. There are also versions for the G3 and G4. The latest release version of TenFourFox is TenFourFox 17.0.8. This is the PPC version of Firefox 17.0.8. TenFourFox 22.0 is in beta. There is no guarantee that your extensions will work, but at least the browser will.

• Reply 3 of 7
    ztagrztagr Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Firefox 3.6 is much too old to be called obsolete. It is positively antediluvian. It would probably be a miracle if any current extensions were compatible with it. If you want to run Firefox on your ox-drawn computer, then you need TenFourFox. I run TenFourFoxG5 for my Power Mac G5s. There are also versions for the G3 and G4. The latest release version of TenFourFox is TenFourFox 17.0.8. This is the PPC version of Firefox 17.0.8. TenFourFox 22.0 is in beta. There is no guarantee that your extensions will work, but at least the browser will.

Thanks for the advice.

Yea, I am fully aware of just how old this entire Mac and its supported OS is (I was given this Mac PowerPC G4 700MHz eMac with only 384 MB of RAM, but I figured I could learn a little about OS X by playing around with it...). Now, I just want to run Firefox (no offense to Safari, but I need a little bit of the "comforts of home", so to speak :-D ).

Anyways, like I said, the version of "Download Statusbar" addon I am trying to add to Firefox  is SUPPOSED to run on FF 3.6 (at least, that's what its own documentation says...), and that just happens to be the LAST version of FF that runs on OS X Tiger! And, that version of FF is indeed running on this "ox-drawn" Mac of mine. Thus my confusion...

I downloaded FF 3.6 myself, and then installed it from the .dmg without incident. It's old, but still has the familiar Firefox look and feel that I love :-D I just can't understand that error message - what does it mean "error downloading" (I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe the "downloading" of an addon is COMPLETED before your are given the "green light" to install it; until then, the "install" button remains "grayed" out...?). So, is it "saying" one thing, but really meaning something else? It only pops up the error message when you click on the "Install" button...

But, hey, thanks for the info. about TenFourFox! I had not heard of it before you mentioned it in your reply, and it sounds like something I need to check out!

Thanks for your reply as well, RobM! If either of you happen to come across anything else that might be of help, I would greatly appreciate your further input in this matter...

Thanks again,

ZT.

• Reply 4 of 7
    Hi ZT

I was able to download and install Download Statusbar.v 1.7.3 :D
    From Add ons in the menu bar. My v of FF is older than yours !

PB g4 OS 10.5.8 running FF 3.0.11
    Id say, upgrade to 10.5.8 - that was a really good, stable release and as good as it got on PPC.

cheers, r
  • Reply 5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Hi ZT

I was able to download and install Download Statusbar.v 1.7.3 image

From Add ons in the menu bar. My v of FF is older than yours !

PB g4 OS 10.5.8 running FF 3.0.11

Id say, upgrade to 10.5.8 - that was a really good, stable release and as good as it got on PPC.

cheers, r

Thanks again, RobM!

Now, I'm curious to know about a few things that maybe you can help me with!

First off, according to Wickipedia (History of Macintosh OS X, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mac_OS_X), my system is not adequate to run OS X 10.5, because my processor is too slow (only 700 MHz), and I do not have enough RAM (only 384 MB). The article claims that I require a processor of at least 867MHz, and at least 512 MB of RAM!

Do you happen to know anything about this? Have you ever tried to INSTALL OS X 10.5 on an "inadequate" Mac? Because, I obviously would not mind trying to run Leopard, but I'm just afraid that it won't run too well with my hardware (if it will even install in the first place)!

If you have any suggestions or input you can provide, I would be most interested to here it!

Thanks again,

ZT.

• Reply 6 of 7
    Ahh - forgot about that gotcha.
    No problem - Here ya go

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/unsupported.html :D
    ymmv
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ztagrztagr Posts: 4member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post