Larry Ellison sees dismal future for Apple without Steve Jobs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an interview with Charlie Rose set to air on Tuesday, Oracle CEO Larry Ellison gave a bleak outlook when asked how Apple will fare without his close friend Steve Jobs at the reins.

Larry Ellison
Source: CBS

A short snippet of the "This Morning" segment was released on Monday by CBS, showing Ellison alluding to an anticipated dark time for the Cupertino, Calif., company.

Rose asked the tech mogul to share his thoughts on what Apple will become without Jobs. Ellison said "we already know."

"We saw ? we conducted the experiment," Ellison explained. "I mean, it's been done. We saw Apple with Steve Jobs. We saw Apple without Steve Jobs. We saw Apple with Steve Jobs. Now, we're gonna see Apple without Steve Jobs."

Each time Ellison described Apple with Jobs, he gestured up with his hand; without Jobs, a trough. While not specifically stated, Ellison is most likely referring to Apple's founding in 1976, Jobs' ousting by John Sculley in 1985, and the visionary's return in 1997.

When Rose asked what enabled Jobs, besides his love of and dedication to Apple, to make the company successful, Ellison said, "He was, he was brilliant. I mean, he was our Edison. He was our Picasso. He was an incredible inventor."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 194
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    FU Larry. Never could stand the guy. Really hate his guts now. And just what exactly did Steve INVENT Larry? :rolleyes:
  • Reply 2 of 194
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Nice words about Steve but as for the rest of the drivel - "You're wrong, Doofus !"

• Reply 3 of 194
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Just because Jobs is no longer with us, he did instill spirit and character. People who worked closely with him know he would operate. Not that Jobs wanted that but, the DNA has been embedded into the longevity of the company.
  • Reply 4 of 194
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

How's those cup races going Larry??  

• Reply 5 of 194
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I'm sure Jobs is looking down from heaven and shaking his head in dis-belief as his "friend" throws everything he held dear into the toilet without giving the team he personally handpicked and put in place a chance to succeed

Fool
  • Reply 6 of 194

I'm not sure that "incredible inventor" is the best way to describe Steve Jobs.

Though nobody at Apple is as "visionary" as Steve....but there's also such thing as too much vision...as it often blinds oneself from adapting and from seeing other people's points of views.  Steve's double-edged sword.

Tim's good, but not the visionary Steve was...are there others at Apple that can see products and consumer experiences before they happen (Steve-like)?

• Reply 7 of 194
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey Larry, still upset Apple didn't release dumb terminals for Oracle?

Different times.
  • Reply 8 of 194
    Being ousted for being who you are abruptly, and knowing your end is near and setting the company up to succeed without you are two different things.

Plus, Larry, you know who else already saw what Apple is like without Steve? Their current leadership.
  • Reply 9 of 194
    Well... I think that as long as Jony stays in the team there is hope. However, that truth only goes so far. Everyone knows that Apple will never be the same without Steve. He could get away with things no one else could, ever. Jony will only be able to push so far. And my fear is that Jony won't be allowed to go as far ("innovate") without Steve there to back him up. If that were to happen Jony could become frustrated and end up eventually leaving Apple. Then Apple would truly be going down hill... but, I could be totally wrong --and that would be a great thing!

We also have to remember that many things (yet to be revealed) were still being worked on while Steve was with Apple. I'm sure he must have also left a number of "requests" for protects to be accomplished after his death. Steve must have left a wealth of knowledge regarding things Apple needs to target and accomplish in the future in order to continue its success for the next decade. But I do fear that Apple will eventually be in a different (meaning not as good) position as it is right now without Steve's vision. But I could be wrong again. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 10 of 194
    Okay so Jobs brought us the new age of tablets and touch screen smartphones and nice UX design.

What has Tim Cook done? iPad mini is still a tablet by the way, so it still falls under Jobs.
  • Reply 11 of 194

Didn't take long and what do we see - a fear troll.

Back to your hole - off you go !

• Reply 12 of 194
    Well, Jobs' second run with Apple was certainly fantastic, but his first run was a mixed bag, leading to his firing (can anyone imagine Jobs being fired the second time around?).

And NeXT didn't exactly set the world on fire, either. Before it found a small niche for itself, it burned through a lot of cash, employees and grand promises.

I believe Apple can thrive without Jobs, but it does feel like it's getting slower at turning around new products, and trying new things. Maybe the management team, sans Jobs, just needs time to adjust. Maybe it needs new leadership beyond Cook. I think it's too early to tell...

• Reply 13 of 194

What a dick! All stevo wanted to do was leave a great company as his legacy. Ugh! :)

• Reply 14 of 194

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I'm sure Jobs is looking down from heaven and shaking his head in dis-belief as his "friend" throws everything he held dear into the toilet without giving the team he personally handpicked and put in place a chance to succeed

Fool

Well said. Better than what I said above.

• Reply 15 of 194

Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Well, Jobs' second run with Apple was certainly fantastic, but his first run was a mixed bag, leading to his firing (can anyone imagine Jobs being fired the second time around?).

And NeXT didn't exactly set the world on fire, either. Before it found a small niche for itself, it burned through a lot of cash, employees and grand promises.

I believe Apple can thrive without Jobs, but it does feel like it's getting slower at turning around new products, and trying new things. Maybe the management team, sans Jobs, just needs time to adjust. Maybe it needs new leadership beyond Cook. I think it's too early to tell...

Well, this management team have gone through an absolute shitty period trying to sort out ways to insulate/reduce the reliance of the company on Sammy.

No wonder some products have been slow to come out.

jus my 0.02c

• Reply 16 of 194
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

In using what happened previously when Jobs left Apple to predict what will happen this time, he either demonstrates very poor critical thinking skills or he has an agenda. It simply doesn't follow, and, more specifically, Jobs was ousted the first time because Sculley didn't like his vision for Apple whereas this time his vision continues to drive the company. Not a good comparison at all.

• Reply 17 of 194
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Okay so Jobs brought us the new age of tablets and touch screen smartphones and nice UX design.

What has Tim Cook done? iPad mini is still a tablet by the way, so it still falls under Jobs.
    Steve Jobs did all of that in 2 years?
  • Reply 18 of 194
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

I don't believe Tim Cook to be there to continue innovating at Apple. There are plenty of very smart people working at Apple to do this. I think its his job to make sure the correct things go out to the public and make it right the first time, not after 3 or 4 tries. By then, its too late most of the time. While Steve Jobs was great at what he did, he didn't do everything at Apple like some people like to think. Its not like he thought of absolutely everything Apple did. Give Apple as a company some credit here. 

• Reply 19 of 194
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member
    Good God, Larry.

GE has fared pretty well without Edison.

Ford has done OK without, well, Ford.

Apple will be just fine without Steve.

How will Oracle be without you?

This man has no sense of legacy.
  • Reply 20 of 194
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Steve Jobs did all of that in 2 years?

Don't you realize Jobs innovated and created new markets six days a week for 15 years.