Cant network OS9 and OSX macs together!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got instructions to do so by a friend, but its simply not working.

On the OSX Mac

IP Address: 10.0.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 10.0.0.1

Apple is made active

On the OS9 Mac

IP Address: 10.0.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: 10.0.0.2

? Apple talk is made active.

? Gave file sharing permission to my hard drive.

? Enabled file sharing and allow TCP/IP connections.

? Changed the Appletalk control panel from modem/printer port to ethernet.

I connect both macs via ethernet, but when I try to connect to the OS9 machine from my G4, I get an error of -36. Presumably it doesnt even know it is there.

What could be wrong? What could I have missed?

thanks,

Matt

?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Try turning Appletalk off again: you shouldn't need it for a direct Ethernet connection, which will run purely over TCP/IP.

On the OS X machine open Terminal, type [code]ping 10.0.0.1</pre><hr></blockquote> and hit return. If you get a timeout, then they can't see each other at all, so networking isn't going to happen.

When you go to Connect to Server, OS X has a hunt around the network for other machines, and seems pretty reliable in experiments I've done with two Macs and a Win 95 laptop...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Here is another thing I neglected to say,

Im connecting my Gigabit ethernet G4 tower to a Powerbook 3400c (1997 model)

Perhaps I need a cross-over cable instead of the ethernet cable that is connected to my modem?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    the router should be the same, no ?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    if your hooking up 2 computers together without a router in between them then you need a crossover cable. All you would do then is just make sure you have the same computer name on both, they should see each other instantly the second you turn on appletalk if I'm not mistaken, which I am often.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I have never been able to get my OS X computer to mount OS 9 machines. I think the best you can do is get the OS 9 computer to mount the OS X one. Use an admin account and log in with that user and pass.

OS 9 likes to have it's appletalk prefs trashed too.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by kraig911:

<strong>if your hooking up 2 computers together without a router in between them then you need a crossover cable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not so: newer Macs (including Gigabit G4s) have MDI-X, which means they configure themselves appropriately regardless of whether the cable is straight-through or crossover.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    oh fancy, I wonder it never works for me, is that feature not in the powerbooks? Even so, I got it too work but it came up with a dialog box saying that my appletalk api or somethen to that effect was old and to update it. I had sharing turned on our old mac, and I just went to connect to server and bam, there I was. At my old job I did it all the time with 10.1, but we had a windows 2000 server emulating an appletalk router, which was basically 'emulating' (I don't know if thats the correct term) the network protocol of an apple server from OS 8 I hear. It never worked great, was horribly slow, but the IT guy there was a great salesman, and he was sold on dell, even in a mac work environment. And since he did that the place closed down because it could no longer function . Sorry just felt like posting that, even tho its no relation to the tropic at hand.