Logitech debuts Ultrathin Keyboard Folio, Folio Cover for Apple's iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Owners of Apple's iPad mini now have two new options from accessory maker Logitech to protect their devices: A thin and light folio cover that guards against water damage, and a full keyboard that boosts the tablet's productivity potential.

Logitech on Monday unveiled both the Ultrathin Keyboard Folio and the Folio Protective Case for the iPad mini. Unlike previous keyboards for the iPad mini, this new version comes in the folio format, meaning that the device doesn't need to be separated from its cover in order to set up the keyboard.

The new Keyboard Folio weighs 285 grams and measures 19.3 millimeters thick. It also has shortcut keys specifically designed to work with iOS, allowing users to copy, paste, undo, and perform more actions with just the press of a button.

The Keyboard Folio's design allows for the top edge of the mini to be clipped into the case, keeping it secure, but with an easy-release feature that makes it easy to remove. The other end of the device sits atop the keyboard, providing a notebook-like functionality when the tablet is set upright. It also comes with its own internal battery, providing up to three months of battery life on a full charge, presuming two hours of use per day.

The new Folio Protective Case doesn't have a keyboard, but it is composed of durable, water-repellant materials to protect the mini. It weighs 196 grams and measures 14 millimters thick.

Like the Ultrathin Keyboard Folio, the Protective Case features a SecureLock system that allows for easy insertion and removal of the iPad mini. It also allows for two viewing angles, flat and upright.

Both accessories incorporate Smart Cover functionality, meaning a connected iPad will automatically wake and sleep when the cover is opened or closed.

Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Folio is available from the manufacturer's site for $90, and it comes in a range of color options. The Folio Protective Case also comes in a range of color options, and it is available for $50.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I only have two questions, one for this product and one for Logitech case products in general.

For this product ... why would they do this very *smart* thing of making the case larger (wider) than the product it surrounds, (I think this is the first time anyone's done this), and then *not* use that extra width for edge to edge keys? The whole problem with keyboard cases in general and mini keyboard cases in particular, is the narrow width of the keyboard. Giving yourself the extra width by making an oversize case, then throwing away that advantage by not making the keys go to the edge seems absolutely insane to me.

For Logitech's covers in general ... what's the deal with the stupid little cloth tab/label that is right up front and in your way on every single case product they make? What is this, a pair of Jordache Jeans from the 90's? It's stupid, it's ugly and it's right in the worst possible place.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

It would be nice if AI reported on perhaps the most important issue- whether you need to detach it in order to use it comfortably as an iPad.? If the answer is Yes then I would strongly recommend instead Logitech's other iPad mini keyboard cover made with matching metal exactly like the iPad mini. I own one and it fits perfectly inside a sleeve. But you need to detach it when using as an iPad alone. 

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-mini?crid=1221&WT.mc_id=AMR_DR_Q2_FY14_SERP&WT.srch=1&ci=0

• Reply 3 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I only have two questions, one for this product and one for Logitech case products in general.

For this product ... why would they do this very *smart* thing of making the case larger (wider) than the product it surrounds, (I think this is the first time anyone's done this), and then *not* use that extra width for edge to edge keys? The whole problem with keyboard cases in general and mini keyboard cases in particular, is the narrow width of the keyboard. Giving yourself the extra width by making an oversize case, then throwing away that advantage by not making the keys go to the edge seems absolutely insane to me.

For Logitech's covers in general ... what's the deal with the stupid little cloth tab/label that is right up front and in your way on every single case product they make? What is this, a pair of Jordache Jeans from the 90's? It's stupid, it's ugly and it's right in the worst possible place.

The case I mention above is smart looking. the black gun metal perfectly matches the mini. I have received numerous compliments on it. The minis keys are too small for long typing and this keyboard though not perfect is way better than the mini's itself. Also as a stand it is great- both vertically and horizontally. And certain keys work directly with iOs function- home, etc. I recommend it 100%. It does need a sleeve to avoid scratches. But now I own both an iPad and a netbook basically. 

Also, this case does NOT have the "stupid little cloth tab/label" that you mention above on "every single case product they make".

• Reply 4 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I don't like how those Logitech keyboards look, with the flaps and all.

I've actually been looking for an iPad Mini Keyboard/Case for somebody else, and the best one that I've found so far is this. I'll probably buy it this week sometime.

• Reply 5 of 12
    Steve Ballmer: "but but but breakdancing!"
  • Reply 6 of 12
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Once Apple allows SwiftKey and Swype on to iOS the market for add-on hardware keyboards is going to plummet.  I can't imagine ever going back to a physical keyboard with a tablet.

• Reply 7 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Good product or not, why would you want a keyboard for a Mini? I don't get it, I see the Mini as a media consumption device and wouldn't want to type long emails on it. I do that on the 9.7".

The Mini is lightweight, I cannot understand why you would add 285 grams to it. Or a cover for that matter.
  • Reply 8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good product or not, why would you want a keyboard for a Mini? I don't get it, I see the Mini as a media consumption device and wouldn't want to type long emails on it. I do that on the 9.7".

The Mini is lightweight, I cannot understand why you would add 285 grams to it. Or a cover for that matter.

Because with a cover it's still lighter and more portable than a 9.7incher. 

It's not just emails- it's URLs, Text messages, notes, Appleinsider posts, etc,

SJ was right about whittlin down your fingers- the minis keyboard is harder to type than the iPhone's which is all thumb action..

• Reply 9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Once Apple allows SwiftKey and Swype on to iOS the market for add-on hardware keyboards is going to plummet.  I can't imagine ever going back to a physical keyboard with a tablet.

It's a nice option to have- nothing more, nothing less.

• Reply 10 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    Because with a cover it's still lighter and more portable than a 9.7incher. 
    It's not just emails- it's URLs, Text messages, notes, Appleinsider posts, etc,
    SJ was right about whittlin down your fingers- the minis keyboard is harder to type than the iPhone's which is all thumb action.

Ah, ok, guess I'll need to try it out in their Store then. Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't like how those Logitech keyboards look, with the flaps and all.

I've actually been looking for an iPad Mini Keyboard/Case for somebody else, and the best one that I've found so far is this. I'll probably buy it this week sometime.

Ok- that's nice looking but fails because you simply cannot use the iPad's touchscreen functionality as it was meant to be used unless you totally disengage it from that cover. 

• Reply 12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ah, ok, guess I'll need to try it out in their Store then. Thanks.

Sure anytime.  I tried it at the Apple store and a salesguy recommended it. I was skeptical at first then was quickly into it. Like I said it matches the mini perfectly in metal finish. Also it has magnets in the seam where you prop it into when typing.