Apple & Samsung drive 55% increase in mobile display revenues

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The popularity of Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S4 smartphones has driven a boom in revenues for display manufacturers, according to a new report from NPD DisplaySearch.

NPD's newest report on the mobile device display industry pegs 2013 revenues for the segment at $33.3 billion by the end of the year. That represents a 55 percent jump over revenues for 2012, driven in large part by rising smartphone display average sale prices.

Those rising display ASPs, according to NPD DisplaySearch vice president Hiroshi Hayase, stem from two devices in particular: the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4.

"The top two brands leading growth in the global smartphone market ? Samsung with its Galaxy S4 series and Apple with its iPhone 5 series ? continue to increase production volume and market share," Hayashi explained. "The growth in sales for these popular smartphone brands has led to increased requirements for high-end flat panel displays, including AMOLED used in the Galaxy S4 and LTPS TFT LCD used in the iPhone 5."

In the case of Apple's iPhone, the move to from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5 gave a boost to display ASP due to the latter's reliance on a larger Retina display with in-cell touch technology. Such technology allows for the iPhone 5 to be slimmer and lighter than its predecessor, but at the cost of a more difficult manufacturing process that has lower yields.

NPD expects active-matrix organic light emitting diode (AMOLED) display technology to become the leading mobile phone display technology over the course of 2013, with a 37 percent share of display revenues. That technology is already featured in Samsung's hot-selling Galaxy S4, and it is also a component in Motorola's new Moto X flagship handset.

Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has
previously panned OLED technology, saying that the displays do not give reliable representations of colors. Apple, instead, has stuck with LCD displays with in-plane switching, and NPD expects that the popularity of Apple's devices will help that technology hold on to a 36.1 percent share of display revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    I think the OLED technologies is not as mature as the LCD currently is. While offering many advantages over the LCD, the OLED still got many lifespan issues. In the meanwhile, the mobile phone maybe is currently the best application for OLED screen since those product got a very short life cycle.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    connieconnie Posts: 101member

I think the best 3.5 and 4 inch phones in the world at the moment is the Iphone 4 and 5 respectively. The best 5 inch phone in the world is I suppose the Galaxy S4. This will definitely change if Apple announce a 5 inch phone in a year or two years from now. If the size of the screen is not taken into consideration I like the display of the iPhone 5 the most.

• Reply 3 of 28
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

I think the OLED technologies is not as mature as the LCD currently is. While offering many advantages over the LCD, the OLED still got many lifespan issues. In the meanwhile, the mobile phone maybe is currently the best application for OLED screen since those product got a very short life cycle.

It's partly due to the AMOLED screens that they have such a short life span in the first place, then there is the OS updating practices where they don't always update the OS all that often so you may have a new phone that won't get the OS update.

FYI, A friend of mine has a S4, and it's running 4.2.2, not 4.3.  Pretty bad if you buy a brand new phone and it won't come with the latest OS.

• Reply 4 of 28
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    drblank wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a S4, and it's running 4.2.2, not 4.3.  Pretty bad if you buy a brand new phone and it won't come with the latest OS.

Even worse is the fact that he has to wait or his provider to update that OS version. Or he has to root it himself, which supposedly is no fun to do.

If this is the strategy from telco's to make people want to buy a new phone simply because their current one will remain on an outdated OS won't that drive people away from telco's and instead hop over to the iPhone? From last weeks' article it would appear so. I wonder what these telco's will do once they they see it happening.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie View Post

I think the best 3.5 and 4 inch phones in the world at the moment is the Iphone 4 and 5 respectively. The best 5 inch phone in the world is I suppose the Galaxy S4. This will definitely change if Apple announce a 5 inch phone in a year or two years from now. If the size of the screen is not taken into consideration I like the display of the iPhone 5 the most.

I am speculating that we might see curved displays being used for that purpose. If Apple makes a curved 5 inch display while also keeping one-handed usability, it would be simply amazing. (And wildly copied)

• Reply 6 of 28

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

If Apple makes a curved 5 inch display while also keeping one-handed usability, it would

…have to be concave, which is ludicrous.

• Reply 7 of 28
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Even worse is the fact that he has to wait or his provider to update that OS version. Or he has to root it himself, which supposedly is no fun to do.

If this is the strategy from telco's to make people want to buy a new phone simply because their current one will remain on an outdated OS won't that drive people away from telco's and instead hop over to the iPhone? From last weeks' article it would appear so. I wonder what these telco's will do once they they see it happening.

Rooting is not meant for the average consumer. It's not hard to do, but according to XDA, it's really meant for developers, not the average consumer.

My friend that owns the S4, thinks that a lot of those "features" the OS has a very much BS.  He even complained about the bumping phones as it wasn't as easy as the advertisements lead people to believe.  

• Reply 8 of 28
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

…have to be concave, which is ludicrous.

If anyone can pull it off it's Apple

• Reply 9 of 28
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It's partly due to the AMOLED screens that they have such a short life span in the first place, then there is the OS updating practices where they don't always update the OS all that often so you may have a new phone that won't get the OS update.

FYI, A friend of mine has a S4, and it's running 4.2.2, not 4.3.  Pretty bad if you buy a brand new phone and it won't come with the latest OS.

Your friend is actually lucky. There are a lot of new phones running versions of Android that are far older than that. And very few of them will ever be upgradeable.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    If anyone can pull it off it's Apple

The Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus were both curved devices.
  • Reply 11 of 28

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus were both curved devices.

And they both sucked. There's a reason for that.

• Reply 12 of 28
    Rooting is not meant for the average consumer. It's not hard to do, but according to XDA, it's really meant for developers, not the average consumer.

My friend that owns the S4, thinks that a lot of those "features" the OS has a very much BS.  He even complained about the bumping phones as it wasn't as easy as the advertisements lead people to believe.  

Easiness of rooting depends on the phone and whether or not a developer comes up with a one click method. It's not just for developers but also for techies and not much different than the people that used to jailbreak their iPhones and customize it past what a stock iPhone would allow.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    And they both sucked. There's a reason for that.

But being curved didn't contribute to them 'sucking'.
  • Reply 14 of 28

But being curved didn't contribute to them 'sucking'.

'Kay; prove it.

• Reply 15 of 28
    'Kay; prove it.

Again can't prove a negative. Prove to me why it sucked.
  • Reply 16 of 28

Again can't prove a negative. Prove to me why it sucked.

You made a claim. Prove your claim. Shut up with your "negative" BS.

• Reply 17 of 28
    You made a claim. Prove your claim. Shut up with your "negative" BS.

Did you forget you claiming "and they both sucked"? The burden of proof of their suckiness is on you.
  • Reply 18 of 28

Did you forget you claiming "and they both sucked"? The burden of proof of their sulkiness is on you.

Sales, reviews, and lifespan. Public knowledge. I never made a claim as to why, simply that. You made a claim as to why. Prove your claim now.

• Reply 19 of 28
    Sales, reviews, and lifespan. Public knowledge. I never made a claim as to why, simply that. You made a claim as to why. Prove your claim now.

I'll agree that reviews and sales would prove that the phone didn't sell well but does it prove that the curved glass was a factor? I remember most reviews actually liked that one aspect of the device. You felt the need to be argumentative with me when all I was doing was pointing out to the OP that curved glass devices have been made in the past.
  • Reply 20 of 28

I'll agree that reviews and sales would prove that the phone didn't sell well but does it prove that the curved glass was a factor?

That (the opposite) was YOUR assertion. The aggregate of bad decisions in their hardware and software design is why they sucked.