Apple's Siri now takes swipes at Google's 'half-empty' Glass

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has updated its voice-driven personal assistant, Siri, to make playful comments disparaging Google's head-worn accessory, Glass, calling it "half empty" and telling users they've "got the wrong assistant."

Glass


The responses are generated by Siri once users say the words "Okay, Glass." Those are the same words used to invoke the voice-driven features of Google Glass.

Saying "Okay, Glass" to Siri currently generates at least six humorous responses panning Google's gear:
  • "Stop trying to strap me to your forehead. It won't work."
  • "I think that Glass is half empty."
  • "I'm not Glass. And I'm just fine with that."
  • "Glass? I think you've got the wrong assistant."
  • "Very funny, (name). I mean, not funny 'ha-ha,' but funny."
  • "Just so you know, I don't do anything when you blink at me."
Siri's new responses on Glass were first highlighted on Monday by The Verge. The comments echo a sentiment expressed by Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, who said earlier this year he doesn't believe that Google Glass, currently available for developers to test, will become a mass-market item.

Cook instead said that the wrist may be a more natural place for wearable computing devices to evolve. In that space, he praised the Nike FuelBand health tracking accessory.

Apple is rumored to be working on its own wrist-worn accessory to take on Google Glass in the wearable computing space with a launch as soon as 2014. The company has filed for ownership of the "iWatch" trademark in a number of countries around the world, hinting at a potential name for the device.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 94
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Kudos to Google! All publicity is good publicity right?
  • Reply 2 of 94
    "Just so you know, I don't do anything when you blink at me".
  • Reply 3 of 94


    "I assume you are looking for porn again, Dave?"

  • Reply 4 of 94
    She can also say

    "Just so you know, I don't do anything when you blink at me, Mike."
  • Reply 5 of 94


    It'd be great if she did more jokes like this for a broader range of topics, but used them DURING searches to mask transit times.


     


    You could say, "I'd like 4,000 lattes to go." Siri would reply, "I miss Steve, too. Here are some cafés in your area." The first sentence done on-device while the location search is going on behind it.

  • Reply 6 of 94
    It'd be great if she did more jokes like this for a broader range of topics, but used them DURING searches to mask transit times.

    You could say, "I'd like 4,000 lattes to go." Siri would reply, "I miss Steve, too. Here are some cafés in your area." The first sentence done on-device while the location search is going on behind it.

    Great idea
  • Reply 7 of 94
    cm477cm477 Posts: 95member


    "Very funny, C---. I mean, not funny "ha-ha," but funny."

  • Reply 8 of 94
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    Alas, the way SIRI Works is the recognition is done on the server, so SIRI wouldn't know you asked for 4,000 lattes until it heard back from the server. Maybe a future version of SIRI will do recognition on the device, and that will make it a lot more useful (you could more easily search your apps when not connected to the net, for instance.)

    I think Glass is a joke-- it's a bluetooth headset with a camera and display. It's not actually a computer.

    It's useless if you don't have a net connection. And who is going to talk to anyone wearing it?

    .... knowing google's propensity for spying.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,788member


    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    Saying "Okay, Glass" to Siri currently generates four humorous responses panning Google's gear:


    • "Stop trying to strap me to your forehead. It won't work."


    • "I think that Glass is half empty."


    • "I'm not Glass. And I'm just fine with that."


    • "Glass? I think you've got the wrong assistant."



     


    How about:



    • "What are you?  A #Glasshole wannabe?"


    • "Glass is not Okay.  Way too creepy."


    • "Glass?  My ass."

  • Reply 11 of 94
    jessi wrote: »
    Alas, the way SIRI Works is the recognition is done on the server, so SIRI wouldn't know you asked for 4,000 lattes until it heard back from the server. Maybe a future version of SIRI will do recognition on the device, and that will make it a lot more useful (you could more easily search your apps when not connected to the net, for instance.)

    I think Glass is a joke-- it's a bluetooth headset with a camera and display. It's not actually a computer.

    It's useless if you don't have a net connection. And who is going to talk to anyone wearing it?

    .... knowing google's propensity for spying.

    I agree. Dependency on Internet connection and going remote is the biggest drawback of SIRI. Having at least a limited basis on the device with regular updates based on eg location or uindividual sage patterns would be great such that she needs to reach out for the servers less often. I don't think you could pack all SIRI Localfor the next two decades :)
  • Reply 12 of 94
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Goofle Glass is a non event. Was just an expensive trick 2 stir enthusiasm in Goolie discussion. Tis in the category of left handed back scratcher.
  • Reply 13 of 94
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,928member
    Personally I'm surprised that Apple is giving attention to Google Glass.
  • Reply 14 of 94
    jakebjakeb Posts: 557member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



    Personally I'm surprised that Apple is giving attention to Google Glass.


    Seems reasonable to me. I can imagine that before this, when people said "ok glass", either in an attempt to be funny or just out of confusion, Siri just did a web search for "glass" that was "ok", which didn't look particularly intelligent. I know it's not entirely fair, but I can see the blog posts already: google stuff, just say "ok glass" and it magically does things for you... ok now let's try on Siri... ah, windshield replacement companies.


     


    They're just getting out in front of it. 

  • Reply 15 of 94
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member


    Why the heck is Apple threatened by Glass enough to give it the time of day?  While there are some very interesting edge case uses for it, I'm fairly confidant it will not go over well with the general public.

  • Reply 16 of 94
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,928member
    jakeb wrote: »
    Seems reasonable to me. I can imagine that before this, when people said "ok glass", either in an attempt to be funny or just out of confusion, Siri just did a web search for "glass" that was "ok", which didn't look particularly intelligent. I know it's not entirely fair, but I can see the blog posts already: google stuff, just say "ok glass" and it magically does things for you... ok now let's try on Siri... ah, windshield replacement companies.

    They're just getting out in front of it. 

    Apparently if you pair Google Glass to an iPhone "Okay Glass" works as it should.
    https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3064189?hl=en
  • Reply 17 of 94
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Apparently if you pair Google Glass to an iPhone "Okay Glass" works as it should.

    https://support.google.com/glass/answer/3064189?hl=en


     


    Yup, it's multi-platform and works with iPhones.

  • Reply 18 of 94
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member

    Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post


    Why the heck is Apple threatened by Glass


     


    They're not, in any respect.






    …give it the time of day?



     


    But Siri doesn't do that. image

  • Reply 19 of 94
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,997member
    I suppose it's fun, and probably not putting significant toll on Apple's staff, but it's a bit frivolous to be putting this out when Siri is still too slow to be practically useful nine times out of ten.
  • Reply 20 of 94
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,511member
    droidftw wrote: »
    Why the heck is Apple threatened by Glass enough to give it the time of day?  While there are some very interesting edge case uses for it, I'm fairly confidant it will not go over well with the general public.

    You mean 'edge use cases.' The whole world is threatened by Google Glass, as long as a single person takes it seriously and will say so in public, like you just did.

    Think of it like angel dust, PCP, for geeks. You're probably too young to remember. A friend of mine drove through a wall of a 7-11 on that poison.

    Like Siri says, the worst thing about Glass is that it's half-empty: it only addresses one eye, and the wrong eye at that. So Google. So toe-shoes:

    http://www.geeksugar.com/Sergey-Brin-Five-Finger-Shoes-10882457
Sign In or Register to comment.