Logitech targets Apple MacBook owners with new Ultrathin Touch Mouse

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Logitech has announced a new Bluetooth mouse for MacBook lovers, one that sports an aesthetic meant to complement Apple's sleek line of notebooks.

The new Logitech Ultrathin Touch Mouse T631 was designed to complement the unibody aluminum construction of Apple's MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, and Logitech is marketing the white model of the mouse specifically to Mac owners. Logitech also makes a black version, the T630, that is aimed at Windows Ultrabook users.

The Ultrathin Touch Mouse has a brushed metallic body with a smooth touch sensitive surface. Measuring in at just over three inches long by two inches wide, Logitech says the device is thin enough to slip into the pocket of a pair of skinny jeans.

The new device features a fully multitouch-enabled surface that is compatible with the numerous gestures built into Mac OS X. Logitech also says that its Easy-Switch technology will enable users to quickly switch the T631 between multiple Macs with just the flip of a switch.

The T631 will require only one minute of charge time in order to get one hour of operation. When the device is running low on charge, users can also plug it into a USB port, and it will still operate.

The Ultrathin Touch Mouse T631 is available for preorder now from Logitech's site. The device retails for $70 with free shipping and is slated for U.S. release in September, with Europe following a month later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) that must be the fastest charging device I've ever seen

2) they don't mention if its multi-touch

3) I only remember Logitech gear to be of cheap and plastic design, but it looks nice though

4) don't understand why they mention it'll fit in your jeans, does anyone carry a mouse [I]there?[/I]
  • Reply 2 of 17
    My take:
    1. Nice.
    2. I have watched two online videos with it now, and there is not any example of multi touch/gesture.
    3. Whats with the Calvin Klein black/white wanna be commercial??? :)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

What is nice about the Apple Retail Stores is you can try out Apple products before you buy them.

I never got used to the new Apple mouse - well any Apple mouse for that matter. I still use a Logitech three button click scroll wheel wired mouse  which I like just fine. I would consider giving this new mouse a try but I hate having to order it without testing it first.

• Reply 4 of 17

Nice. I like the built-in USB charging. Until I got the Magic Mouse, my favorite mouse was an IOGEAR Bluetooth Optical Mini Mouse. Tiny, used standard AAA batteries and had a built-in USB port for charging Ni-Cad/NiMH AAAs. The Magic Mouse is slightly less portable, but more feature-rich and I've bought a USB AA charger so I can travel with it.

• Reply 5 of 17
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Why bother?

The MacBook touchpad is one of the best interfaces ever.

For cheap netbooks ultrabooks, where the touchpad doesn't work well, I could understand why it may have a use.

• Reply 6 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why bother?

For cheap netbooks ultrabooks, where the touchpad doesn't work well, I could understand why it may have a use.

Agreed! Why bother?

I have the Magic Track pad on my iMac because it matches more of working on a laptop. Same with my BT Apple KB. Thought that what Apple was trying to do, i.e., make using an iMac the same as your Apple laptop. Brilliant as usual. :)

P.S. I never really liked Logitech stuff...mainly because the Logitech name is too obvious on their gear.

• Reply 7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Why bother?

Also: when running Windows. I've set my touchpad to emulate a right-click both with the 'two-finger touch' and 'bottom-right-corner touch' methods, and neither of them are particularly reliable. I often have to click several times before a right-click is sent. I spend most of my day running Windows in a VM and so I have to use a mouse.

• Reply 8 of 17
    The do mention the multitouch ( @ philboogie ) : " The new device features a fully multitouch-enabled surface that is compatible with the numerous gestures built into Mac OS X. Logitech also says that its Easy-Switch technology will enable users to quickly switch the T631 between multiple Macs with just the flip of a switch. "

Will be interesting to try and see how these compare to Apple's mouse.
    I like my trackpads on all my Macbook Pros, but I also use Apple's mouse for more precision work like in Photoshop, as well as with my desktop Macs. Logitech originally was a Swiss company who moved their headquarters to California a long time ago, sometimes implying the idea of quality Swiss tech, but seemingly having some varying quality in their products, from good to poor ever since their move. Will just have to wait and see how their feel and perform.
    what could be interesting is rapid USB charging, in comparison to Apple's mouse, and it seems to have a fair price.
  • Reply 9 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed! Why bother?

I have the Magic Track pad on my iMac because it matches more of working on a laptop. Same with my BT Apple KB. Thought that what Apple was trying to do, i.e., make using an iMac the same as your Apple laptop. Brilliant as usual. :)

P.S. I never really liked Logitech stuff...mainly because the Logitech name is too obvious on their gear.

I realy wonder what you naysayers do for a living. I can't survive more than 10 minutes without a pixel perfect pointing device. How you can do anything precise with finger gestures is beyond my understanding.

• Reply 10 of 17
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Is that an Ultrathin Touch Mouse in your pocket or are you just not very well endowed and happy to see me?

• Reply 11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsd View Post

Hilarious...not  idiotic...yes

• Reply 12 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Must have a power capacitor and a lithium ion battery that work together for it to charge that quickly.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    dsd wrote: »
    Is that an Ultrathin Touch Mouse in your pocket or are you just not very well endowed and happy to see me?

Flat-out happy!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mstone wrote: »
    I realy wonder what you naysayers do for a living. I can't survive more than 10 minutes without a pixel perfect pointing device. How you can do anything precise with finger gestures is beyond my understanding.

I find trackpad fine for consumption where as I require my magic mouse for creation.
  • Reply 15 of 17

Exactly! I stopped using a mouse since I switched to Apple laptops. Even my old PowerBook G4 had way much better touchpad than any "hi-end" windows laptop.

• Reply 16 of 17
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsd View Post

Oh, there you go ... just trying to get a rise out of folks ...

• Reply 17 of 17
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Are you implying that everyone here works on a computer for a living?