T-Mobile reportedly issues employee blackout dates for Sept. 20 iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
T-Mobile is supposedly planning employee blackout dates between Sept. 20 and 22, the same time period in which Apple's new iPhone models are rumored to hit store shelves.

tmobile
Customers line up ahead of T-Mobile's iPhone launch in April. | Source: BTIG Research's Walter Piecyk via Twitter

According to T-Mobile blog TmoNews, sources on Wednesday claimed the upcoming Sept. 20 to 22 employee blackout dates came with no explanation, but speculated a tie to an as-yet-unannounced Apple iPhone launch.

The report is in line with previous rumblings about a Sept. 20 debut for Apple's "iPhone 5S" and "iPhone 5S" handsets, which are expected to be announced on Sept. 10.

The publication points out that the blackout dates may be in relation to the release of Samsung's Galaxy Note III, as the Korean company is said to be announcing the device on Sept. 4. That scenario is unlikely, however, as a new Note model would hardly require T-Mobile to bolster its in-store staff.

Rumors surrounding Apple's next-generation iPhone are heating up ahead of the anticipated announcement, with supposed parts "leaks" popping up on the Web in the form of videos and comparison pictures. Most recently, the alleged gold colored iPhone 5S chassis and plastic composite iPhone 5C shell were subjected to durability tests in two separate videos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    The report is in line with previous rumblings about a <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/20/apples-iphone-5s-and-iphone-5c-to-launch-in-japan-on-sept-20">Sept. 20 debut</a> for Apple's "iPhone 5S" and "iPhone 5S" handsets, which are expected to be announced <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/10/apple-slated-to-hold-iphone-event-on-september-10">on Sept. 10</a>.

yay. i hope if i'm unable to get an iPhone 5S at launch that i'm at least able to get an iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

iPhone 5s and iPod Cellular so called "iPhone 5c. Not interested in any because they're the same as iPhone 5.

• Reply 3 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

iPhone 5s and iPod Cellular so called "iPhone 5c. Not interested in any because they're the same as iPhone 5.

Complete and utter lies. Stop it.

• Reply 4 of 16

Yeah  we know the drill....  Announcement on the 10th, preorder on the 13th to be sold out quickly and in stores on the 20th.

• Reply 5 of 16
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pooch wrote: »
    yay. i hope if i'm unable to get an iPhone 5S at launch that i'm at least able to get an iPhone 5S.

Huh?
  • Reply 6 of 16

They will still be sold out in a matter of minutes, easiest and fastest way is to preorder online.

• Reply 7 of 16
    pooch wrote: »

I read that as well and was excited to hear about the iPhone 5s as well as the iPhone 5s models. I'm still undecided which one I'll get. I hear they're both similar.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Why don't you STFU and wait until an iPhone or iPhones are actually announced. Then you can make all the asinine comments you want,

• Reply 9 of 16
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Why don't you STFU and wait until an iPhone or iPhones are actually announced. Then you can make all the asinine comments you want,

Better to ignore such idiotic posts. Actual details are irrelevant to such people. S/he has already decided that the 5S will not be innovative or different (enough) than the 5. The thing could include an Orgasmatron feature and it wouldn't be enough. Apple, of course, lives under a different standard than other manufacturers. While they invented the modern smartphone, they don't have 12" screens on their phones yet so clearly not innovating.

• Reply 10 of 16

Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Then you can make all the asinine comments you want,

Well… image

• Reply 11 of 16
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    It would be nice to know what an "employee blackout period" is.....
  • Reply 12 of 16
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the blackout dates may be in relation to the release of Samsung's Galaxy Note III... That scenario is unlikely, however, as a new Note model would hardly require T-Mobile to bolster its in-store staff.

Oooooh burn.

• Reply 13 of 16
    dunks wrote: »
    Oooooh burn.
    My favorite quote as well! Lol!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I wonder if they will release the new Mac Pro at the same event as the iPhone 5S/C: it would be unusual, but they have been advertising it in movie theatres recently. The rumored iPhone trade-in program is a great idea imo, it would really help to upgrade the platform to get lots of people to replace old 3GS and 4 and move to the latest OS.

• Reply 15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Seriously. By the context I'm assuming they mean T-Mobile is considering not allowing vacations for this period. (And they're not allowing it because of the iPhone coming. Bit of a stretch. #AppleRumorsider.)

• Reply 16 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Seriously. By the context I'm assuming they mean T-Mobile is considering not allowing vacations for this period. (And they're not allowing it because of the iPhone coming. Bit of a stretch. #AppleRumorsider.)

I, too, wonder what the heck an "employee blackout date" is.  Must be some insider jargon.  I was guessing it meant employees couldn't buy phones during that period.  Or that the employees were to wear black uniforms.  I dunno... could be anything.

I think the AppleInsider writer doesn't actually know, either.  Because the tmonews.com article they linked to also does not explain what the blackout date is blacking out.  In fact, the tmonews article headline merely questions whether tmobile is planning a blackout date--based upon an apparent scan of some tmobile trash scavenged from some dumpster--and appleinsider took the question and turned it into fait accompli. Nice way to create news, AI.

Won't be long now before the Wall St. analysts begin forecasting profits/losses on the blackout dates. But we can rest assured that whatever they forecast, it will spell doom for you-know-who.