AT&T reportedly blacking out employee holidays ahead of Sept. iPhone 5S/5C launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
More evidence suggesting a possible September launch for Apple's upcoming iPhone surfaced on Thursday, with AT&T reportedly blacking out employee vacation dates for the second half of the month.

Flash
Artist's conception of a possible iPhone 5S. Source: AppleInsider

Citing inside sources, BGR claims that AT&T has blacked out vacation dates for the second half of September, a move supposedly meant to handle an expected deluge of customers looking to get their hands on Apple's next-gen iPhone. The telecom did the same last year ahead of the iPhone 5 launch.

The publication also notes that the nation's second largest mobile carrier will not be releasing any other major handsets during the period, suggesting the no-vacation days are being set for the

While somewhat vague, the report comes just one day after T-Mobile purportedly issued its own employee blackout dates set to start on Sept. 20.

Apple is expected to announce the next-generation "iPhone 5S" at a special event on Sept. 10, possibly alongside a lower-cost plastic composite handset many have taken to calling the "iPhone 5C."

The iPhone 5 successor is rumored to sport a fingerprint sensor embedded in its home button, a 31 percent faster A7 processor, motion tracking and upgraded camera components. Numerous parts "leaks" have also pointed to a new "champagne" color option for the handset.

The iPhone 5C is rumored to carry a plastic composite shell to be offered in a variety of colors, though not much is known regarding its internals. Some claim the unit will use the same 4-inch form factor of the iPhone 5, but with older components to keep costs down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Yawn!
  • Reply 2 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Did the carriers do this when the Galaxy S4 was released? You know, the smartphone the killed the iPhone¡

• Reply 3 of 27
    doe924doe924 Posts: 14member
    If you want vacation days on some of the busiest retail days of the year...you don't belong in retail.

No there's never been blackout days for any android phone. Keep in mind the store I worked at sold a few hundred iPhones in a few days. We never sold more than 50 android phones, all models combined.
  • Reply 4 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Did the carriers do this when the Galaxy S4 was released? You know, the smartphone the killed the iPhone¡

I'm pretty sure they gave their employees two hour lunchtimes and extra breaks that day.

• Reply 5 of 27
    iPhone 5S here we come, but the 5S is really not going to be sporting new stuff so same old same old, hopefully default will be 32 gb.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

but the 5S is really not going to be sporting new stuff so same old same old

It's an entirely new device…

• Reply 7 of 27
    It's an entirely new device…
    Really? So you are Gruber in disguise then lol!
    You are a nobody just like the rest of us, but you know for a fact that it will be an entirely different device.
    What it's going to have? Wheels?
    No, it will be the same old tired offering that Apple gives to its sheep, but they will rejoice.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Apple is a smart c
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Apple is a smart company. They sell u last year's technology in a cute box and people will be lining up to buy it.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Statistics shows that iphone out sold Android only in the USA and is the main reason why apple is making a cheap iphone to complete with the rest of the world.
    I think ur confused with android. Android is mostly know for its OS, AND power by Google. An official Android phone will be their nexus and now motorola. Where the rest is Samsung, htc, Nokia, Sony, etc. Are all great phone makers running off Androids OS. Apple only produce one phone a year, actually two yrs, and their OS offer limited customization AND restrictions .unless u jailbreak. Most people do jailbreak. So when it comes down to it, basically ur just buying their OS, Bc their phone ain't that great compare to what's out there these days. Apple is still on dual-core, in today's quad core technology , ain't very impressive. Iphone is 8mp camera, when Nokia 1020 is pumping out 41mp camera. Android has a phone for everyone. From screen size to quad-core, and even octacore is available. Iphone so call " Retina" display, is barely 720p. When 1020p is the norm these days.
    Don't be a fan of anything! Especially in technology. Bc there's a lots of great phones out there, all are competing for ur money
  • Reply 11 of 27
    And BTW iphone A6 chip and display is made by Samsung n iphone camera is made by Sony. So in a way, iphone is actually a Samsung phone. Bc apple don't have the technology to build their own phone from ground up. So they contract other companies to build it for them and listed as their own.
  • Reply 12 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iphone5ss View Post

Apple is still on dual-core, in today's quad core technology , ain't very impressive. Iphone is 8mp camera, when Nokia 1020 is pumping out 41mp camera. Android has a phone for everyone. From screen size to quad-core, and even octacore is available. Iphone so call " Retina" display, is barely 720p. When 1020p is the norm these days.

1. apple never try to sell with  useless options. they know what really people want .

2. who use 41 mp camera phone for their regular use its just phone its not pro cam.

3. samsung  released list of dump phones released just for hold the market are they really given value for users money?

4. andriod one of the unsecured mobile os

• Reply 13 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by androidforme View Post

Really? So you are Gruber in disguise then lol!

You are a nobody just like the rest of us, but you know for a fact that it will be an entirely different device.

What it's going to have? Wheels?

No, it will be the same old tired offering that Apple gives to its sheep, but they will rejoice.

You are full of ignorance. Clearly no experience with engineering? I am currently finishing my engineering degree and I study phones from top to bottom, although, I admit I struggle to get the time to keep up with all of the Android news. Anyway, by your logic, if all of Apple's phones are the same, then so are Androids. Your logic says that the iPhones only get faster, a few extra actually useful features, bigger, and better battery life. Sounds about like the Android phones, so they are the same old junk too?

Both OS' have their pros and cons.

Quote:

Apple is a smart company. They sell u last year's technology in a cute box and people will be lining up to buy it.

Some people like quality products. I prefer the iPhone due to my experience with it vs Android. To his their own.....

Quote:

Statistics shows that iphone out sold Android only in the USA and is the main reason why apple is making a cheap iphone to complete with the rest of the world.

I think ur confused with android. Android is mostly know for its OS, AND power by Google. An official Android phone will be their nexus and now motorola. Where the rest is Samsung, htc, Nokia, Sony, etc. Are all great phone makers running off Androids OS. Apple only produce one phone a year, actually two yrs, and their OS offer limited customization AND restrictions .unless u jailbreak. Most people do jailbreak. So when it comes down to it, basically ur just buying their OS, Bc their phone ain't that great compare to what's out there these days. Apple is still on dual-core, in today's quad core technology , ain't very impressive. Iphone is 8mp camera, when Nokia 1020 is pumping out 41mp camera. Android has a phone for everyone. From screen size to quad-core, and even octacore is available. Iphone so call " Retina" display, is barely 720p. When 1020p is the norm these days.

Don't be a fan of anything! Especially in technology. Bc there's a lots of great phones out there, all are competing for ur money

A few things:

iPhone out sold in the USA? I believe that is probably a pretty good place to sell the most. Apple is not in the business of "race to the bottom." Ask GM how the marketshare didn't help them a few years ago (coming from a happy GM product owner, IDC what anyone else owns, my truck does great).

Android may only be the OS of some of these phones made by other companies but last I check, a Samsung PC and a Sony PC were both Windows PCs.....So Android phones....

Most people CERTAINLY do not jailbreak. Look up your sources so you don't look like an ill-informed ignorant ihater: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/01/20-million-jailbroken-devices-cydia.html    So 22 million? Out of 250+ million? so less than 10%? Most people? My a$$. Most of those are old models anyway.

Nokia lumia 1020? Is that not Windows? The camera is great I am sure, however, what else is good about it? Windows Phone? Yea right (coming from a happy windows 7 user). The dual-core processor? Didn't you just hammer Apple for only using a nice dual-core? (Software makes it run like a S4 in MY EXPERIENCE (IDC about yours). 

Next, the 720p vs 1080p phones? The res is great and the 1080p's look nice. However, the difference under normal use with a 720 vs 1080 is very little. You would have to have your eyes glued closely to the screen to see much of a difference (remember, to argue against this point is just plain ignorance). The stand max should settle at about 1080p going into the future, however, Apple may make this jump when the engineering makes sense.

8 Mega-pixels is by far not the market leader. However, Iphone cameras are always great overall packages. It will out perform the S4 and lumia in low light. The iPhone 5S will push it past the S4 in probably every way with cameras (assuming a 12ish megaP camera). 

To point it all out, Android is a nice operating system, as well as iOS. Windows is OK for some people. I prefer iOS for phones, just my two bits. If Android is more your kind of stuff, have at it, who cares?

Quote:

And BTW iphone A6 chip and display is made by Samsung n iphone camera is made by Sony. So in a way, iphone is actually a Samsung phone. Bc apple don't have the technology to build their own phone from ground up. So they contract other companies to build it for them and listed as their own.

Apple is a designer. That is what they do. Samsung simply fabs their stuff...... They DESIGN from the ground up....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

iPhone 5S here we come, but the 5S is really not going to be sporting new stuff so same old same old, hopefully default will be 32 gb.

It will be a nice phone, 32gb standard would be nice.

• Reply 14 of 27
    satish web wrote: »

1. apple never try to sell with  useless options. they know what really people want

Really? Like their useless map that got many people lost and frustrated? Is that what people wanted? They did a survey last year to see how many people wanted a bigger display in the new iPhone. 79% out off 11 million people voted for a bigger screen. And another survey 86% of people don't want to be lock down to apples OS n allow 3rd party app. So Yea, they really know what people want.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">2. who use 41 mp camera phone for their regular use its just phone its not pro cam.</span>
    Hmm who use a 41mb camera? Well Idk really. But they were completely sold out at att on the first shipment. And online they was on backorder. So I guess people does use it.
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">3. samsung  released list of dump phones released just for hold the market are they really given value for users money?</span>
    Well let see! Idk what list of dump phones u talking about, but The Samsung S3 did out sold iphone last yr.
    Is it worth it? The people buying it sure think so. Bc after all its their money n they choose to buy it.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">4. andriod one of the unsecured mobile os</span>
  • Reply 15 of 27
    4. andriod one of the unsecured mobile os

[/quote] really, says who?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

1. Shut up and go away.

2. Given that every single iPhone has been totally revamped, yeah, I know for a fact that the 7th model will be wholly new compared to the 6th.

• Reply 17 of 27
    1. Shut up and go away.
    2. Given that every single iPhone has been totally revamped, yeah, I know for a fact that the 7th model will be wholly new compared to the 6th.
    You crack me up. And so aggressive, you are scary. No, it will be basically the same, slightly faster, that's about all.
    But will sell in the millions. I guess you are prepping your tent anticipating the release date.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

You crack me up. And so aggressive, you are scary. No, it will be basically the same, slightly faster, that's about all.

But will sell in the millions. I guess you are prepping your tent anticipating the release date.

He still has the original phone. 

I have a Samsung ( 4. I think) at work. Its shite plastic nonsense, and the OS sucks balls. Until recently I assumed the rumors were true, and Android had caught up. Total crap.

• Reply 19 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Every phone maker contracts out some of their work - the A6 chip ( which is not always made by Samsung) - is designed by ARM and Apple. Thats where the real works is. the iPhone is no more a Samsung phone than it is an ARM phone or an orange is a Moon landing.

• Reply 20 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iphone5ss wrote: »

And now Android will be known for the Hugo Barra / Sergey Brin incident.