Apple releases OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 7

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released the seventh OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview, bringing minor performance enhancements and feature additions to the operating system expected to launch this fall.

Mavericks Preview

According to people familiar with the latest seed, not much has changed from the previous version Developer Preview 6, which was released two weeks ago.

iCloud Keychain is still a work in progress, these people said, as the feature is still listed as a known issue. Developer Preview 6 came with a substantial backend update to the new security feature that required developers to reenable it after installing the operating system.

The latest build also allows for PDFs imported into iBooks while using a previous Mavericks seed to be renamed with Preview. iBooks for Mac was
first introduced in Mavericks with Developer Preview 5.

When Apple launches OS X 10.9 Mavericks later this fall, it will come with iBooks, Finder Tabs, Maps, App Nap and Compressed Memory, among other new features.

Developers can download the sixth Mavericks preview via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    It's good enough. Load it into new machines and launch them already. This "waiting for iterative OSX updates" nonsense is getting old.
  • Reply 2 of 14

Ok, I have a very interesting question.  I just bought a 13" MBP.  How much time is there to get the free OS Upgrade versus having to pay for it.  I'd be (more than) willing to pay for it, but on the other had, free is free. :)

• Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Developers can download the sixth Mavericks preview via Software Update.

I believe you mean seventh ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

Ok, I have a very interesting question.  I just bought a 13" MBP.  How much time is there to get the free OS Upgrade versus having to pay for it.  I'd be (more than) willing to pay for it, but on the other had, free is free. :)

I think it's usually a couple of weeks. The latest updates have only been $20 though and I can't imagine this one's going to be any more than that.

• Reply 4 of 14
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Call Apple after it is released. Get a supervisor on the phone. It costs Apple nothing to give it to you.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

It's good enough.

No.

Load it into new machines and launch them already. This "waiting for iterative OSX updates" nonsense is getting old.

Probably because they're not waiting for the OS to launch the new machines. They never have before.

• Reply 6 of 14
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Call Apple after it is released. Get a supervisor on the phone. It costs Apple nothing to give it to you.

On the other hand, why be such a cheapskate?  The price is the lowest out there, the OS is the best out there and the extensions and free offers are as generous as they come.  

Maybe have a little self respect and *don't* grovel for a freebie.  Teach your children what honour and "doing the right thing" are all about, as well as the value of hard work.  

The OS upgrade is 20 bucks.

• Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

On the other hand, why be such a cheapskate?  The price is the lowest out there, the OS is the best out there and the extensions and free offers are as generous as they come.  

Maybe have a little self respect and *don't* grovel for a freebie.  Teach your children what honour and "doing the right thing" are all about, as well as the value of hard work.  

Besides, if you can't afford 20 bucks for an OS upgrade, you must be some homeless loser anyway. 

Gazoobee, that is totally uncalled for. I have supported Apple many times over, and like I said it isn't that big of a deal for me to purchase it.  That said, I remember that they offered the upgrade for free for people who recently purchased a computer from them.  So, it isn't much to ask as far as what that cutoff is.

• Reply 8 of 14
    Gazoobee - What a smug arrogant tool you are.
    Whilst I agree with your comments regarding the product itself, where the hell do you get off commenting on another contributor like that.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    If I could have snow leopard with finder tabs, I'd be happy. It's the best os they've done. The lion stuff is eye candy and slower. Lets hope mavericks is fast although I understand you need buckets of ram to run it....
  • Reply 10 of 14
    connieconnie Posts: 101member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Besides, if you can't afford 20 bucks for an OS upgrade, you must be some homeless loser anyway. 
    Why are you such an arsehole? Instead of preaching to others how they should raise their children, why don't you teach yourself some manners first.
  • Reply 11 of 14

Did we have a stable number of release for the previous iteration of OS X? Can we use it to predict more or less accurately how many more preview we'll have before we can grab Mavericks? I'm still on snow leopard and I'm dying for an upgrade

• Reply 12 of 14

They've changed up the OS password entry from nice centered circles to freaking asterisks. Hopefully that's just a bug, but why would they have overlooked it?

EDIT: And a start from shutdown cleared that up. Weird.

• Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zaba View Post

If I could have snow leopard with finder tabs, I'd be happy. It's the best os they've done. The lion stuff is eye candy and slower. Lets hope mavericks is fast although I understand you need buckets of ram to run it....

Install TotalFinder. It'll give you what you're looking for.

...Oh Bollocks - it requires 10.7 or better. Perhaps there's something 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yazolight View Post

Did we have a stable number of release for the previous iteration of OS X? Can we use it to predict more or less accurately how many more preview we'll have before we can grab Mavericks? I'm still on snow leopard and I'm dying for an upgrade

I believe 10.8 had about this many DPs before it went GM. From my experience, 10.9 has been far more stable during its beta period than 10.8 (I had quite a few kernel panics and several bugs during the early 10.8 DPs and have only had one panic and no significant issues during the entire 10.9 beta period) and I believe it will be ready fairly soon.

• Reply 14 of 14
    c cc c Posts: 8member

XtraFinder is another option, and it works with 10.6.8 or newer.

Like alternatives (Path Finder and TotalFinder) there are several other 'enhancements' and options that you can choose to use or disable.