Extremely slow restart on iBook 600!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Any ideas on how to speed up start up on an iBook 600? It is running with 256K of ram, 10.2.4 oper. sys, and about 9gig free on the hard drive. I've tried disk repair off a boot up CD, repair of permissions, as well as some system pref tweaks (like network time). It is hanging on the initial boot up...just after the apple appears and the twirling bar below starts spinning. That twirling bar spins for 2 1/2 minutes! Once it gets past that...the start up process (the blue bar filling in) speeds up and appears normal.

Any idea why the hang time on the start up and how to speed it up. THIS CAN'T BE NORMAL...at least in my experience.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I have the same issue with my powerbook. It only does it though really when I turn it off with my firewire drive plugged in when I turn it off, and then when I turn it back on it takes forever if it isn't plugged back in? It also takes awhile to turn off if I don't drag the drive to the trash to unmount it sometimes.

Could you possibly be plugging a variety of stuff in and changing out pheripherals (spelling?) all the time?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I've tried cutting out all the possibilities. I have all unplugged too. It's just the iBook and little more than the software that came on it. It's really strange. After doing some reading...I'm afraid it may require a system reinstall. Something must have gotten corrupted or something. I may try defragging, but at this point, a fresh reinstall may be easier.

The firewire issue you have is something I contend with too...it just seems inherent with the drives and how the mac 'closes them out' while shutting down and such.

Thanks for the idea...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by delerium:

<strong>I've tried cutting out all the possibilities. I have all unplugged too. It's just the iBook and little more than the software that came on it. It's really strange. After doing some reading...I'm afraid it may require a system reinstall. Something must have gotten corrupted or something. I may try defragging, but at this point, a fresh reinstall may be easier.

The firewire issue you have is something I contend with too...it just seems inherent with the drives and how the mac 'closes them out' while shutting down and such.

Thanks for the idea...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Maybe there is issues with shutting down. OSX runs a disk check on boot up and maybe that is running everytime.

??