Sheriffs use Apple's Find My iPhone to track down missing child

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Houston sheriffs successfully nabbed a would-be kidnapper and car thief using the Find My iPhone feature found on Apple's iOS devices.

As a 5-year-old boy waited for his father in the family's SUV outside a Houston, Tex., liquor store on Monday night, a would-be car thief jumped in the driver's seat and took off, ABC 13 reported on Tuesday. After contacting the authorities, the father began tracking the stolen vehicle.

"The father had an iPad that he'd taken in with him and he utilized that iPad with the iPhone that was in the car and was able to track it," Lt. Wayne Schultz of the Harris County Constable's Office said.

The constables on scene then relayed the information to the Harris County Sheriff's office, who distributed the information to their deputies in near-real time. Deputies eventually caught up with the SUV and returned the child to his family unharmed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Why did this irresponsible father leave:
    1. his keys in the car
    2. his kid in the car
    ?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Great story except the part about the 5 year old kid alone in his Dad's car at night at a liquor store.
  • Reply 3 of 38

Was the father already drunk? What kind of dad would leave son behind and go buy  liquor?

• Reply 4 of 38
    Was it 'Let's take our children to the liqour store day'?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

1. his keys in the car

2. his kid in the car

?

Who leaves their phone in the car and grabs their iPad to run into the liquor store?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

• Reply 6 of 38
    What kind of father leaves his iPhone in the car but takes his iPad into a liqueur store?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Who leaves their phone in the car and grabs their iPad to run into the liquor store?

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Who leaves their kid in the car but takes their iPad instead.

• Reply 8 of 38
    Same as all above. Leave your 5 year old in a car while you go to a liquor store??????????

It seems the more intelligent devices get, the more stupid humanity becomes.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

1. his keys in the car

2. his kid in the car

?

Because he knew that Apple would look after him? 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What kind of father leaves his iPhone in the car but takes his iPad into a liqueur store?

Store e-catalogue? This happens now. (I'd have taken my keys, iPad, iPhone and... oh, yes... something else, don't tell, I'll get this...)

• Reply 10 of 38
    The reason to leave the kid in the car is the child carseat. They are a necessary hastle, as a matter of I e management, he could've gone in and got whatever he wanted in less time than it takes get the child in and out of the seat. As for the keys, that could be a small town thing. The iPad? I have no idea.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

Well, you're allowed to take your iPad into the store. You can't take the child in.

Of course, that doesn't justify the idiotic behavior of leaving a child AND the keys in a car when going into a liquor store.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Was thinking the same thing. Takes his iPad but leaves car keys and child.

Priorities.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Well, you're allowed to take your iPad into the store. You can't take the child in.

Of course, that doesn't justify the idiotic behavior of leaving a child AND the keys in a car when going into a liquor store.

Adults aren't allowed to bring their kids into the liquor store?
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Leaving a child in a car alone, keys or no keys, is idiotic.

• Reply 15 of 38

This proves that Apple products are only owned by imbeciles. /s

• Reply 16 of 38
    In a twisted way there is logic to the whole thing.

1. The kid was in the car and in Texas this time of year it is still warm. So keys in the car so the AC is on.
    2. Kid was likely playing a game on the phone. Or it was small enough it would go into a side pocket or the mid well that has a cover. iPad too big for that and perhaps dad doesn't let the kid play with it. So better to take it inside than risk someone seeing it and breaking a window to get I
    3. I believe Texas is one of the states that bans anyone under 21 from being in a liquor store. So of course the kid would be left outside. And there might not be a mother to leave him at home with

So in this guys mind it all made sense.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Be thankful for dumb people. They allow the existence of smart people.
  • Reply 18 of 38

Are people really going in on the dad for going to make a quick stop at the store? If it was a convenient store would it have been better? What if he got out and went to pay for gas at a gas station? 

• Reply 19 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    wisdomseed wrote: »
    The reason to leave the kid in the car is the child carseat. They are a necessary hastle, as a matter of I e management, he could've gone in and got whatever he wanted in less time than it takes get the child in and out of the seat. As for the keys, that could be a small town thing. The iPad? I have no idea.

Small town thing? As in- the 4th largest city in America "small town"?

Harris county is Houston- it wasn't a burb
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WisdomSeed View Post

A five year old would be in a booster seat. It uses only the regular seat belt. And even car seats are quick to fasten and unfasten.